Gig a month in 2009 - a challenge

I did my March up beautifully- went to see the Allman Brothers on the 19th & 20th, and the guest both nights was Eric Clapton!

On the 21st I saw David Munnelly and his band, who play traditional Irish music(reels, jigs, etc) and who also toss out a few swing tunes! Very enjoyable concert, and 15 minutes from my house to boot.

April is Jeff Beck and maybe even something at the Stone if there's something good on the free nights I have.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

March ticked off.

Dave O'Higgins quartet with Eric Alexander. Very enjoyable hard boppy/Rollinsy/Coltraney night. Special mention for pianist Tom Cawley who I've only previously heard in the more punkified Acoustic Ladyland - some inspired and very distinctive playing. He might have been really fired up as he was playing on his home turf (Lincoln). Packed hall too!

One of the strangest places I've heard jazz - the Lincoln Drill Hall which seems to be a refurbished hall once used by something like the Territorial Army. A huge war memorial on the wall in the entrance area. Nice place, nonetheless, with good sound.

Outside:

2670066.jpg

Inside:

02628.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I missed January and February, but made up for it in March with three concerts:

• Ari Hoenig (with Will Vinson, as; Danton Boller, b; Jonathan Kreisberg, g.)
  • Baptiste Trotignon (with Thomas Bramerie, b; Franck Agulhon, d; Mark Turner, ts; Tom Harrell, flg) (see here)
  • A double-header with Ron Carter's group (Stephen Scott, p; Payton Crossley, d; Rolando Morales-Matos, perc) and the Blue Note All Stars (Joe Lovano, ts; Stefano di Battista, as; Flavio Boltro, tpt; Jacky Terrasson, p; Ron Carter, b; Payton Crossley, d).

In April I plan to see Kurt Rosenwinkel, with Aaron Parks, p; Ben Street, b; Ted Poor, d.

In May, the Branford Marsalis Quartet.

I did my April gig last night- Jeff Beck. Riveting concert and some incredible guitar playing. Tal Wilkenfeld on bass, and she was amazing, step for step with JB. It's the next day and I'm still buzzin' about it.

For May, Reptet with our own JohhnyE on the skins. I'm getting excited already. Anyone with any chance to see them SHOULD GO!!!! They're a lot of fun and they play great- it's a great thing to hear music that moves you and makes you smile and laugh.

Any idea how this show would be?

Ab Baars Trio & Ken Vandermark - tomorrow night at the Victory Grill in Austin

I'm not sure about the drummer - not heard of him - but Baars and bassist Wilbert De Joode are seriously heavyweight - fantastic. And last time I heard Vandermark, he was absolutely wonderful...I think he sounds really good with Europeans...I would definitely check out the show!

• 4 weeks later...

I did my May gigs early- I caught Reptet on Saturday & Sunday- helluva lot of fun and great music. Also saw Burnt Sugar before Repter on Sunday(WOW). On Saturday I went to a Cherry Blossom themed fair at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens and caught a group that does 'Japanese Gypsy Rock'. It sounds almost as if Django's crowd lstened to rock and had a japanese element in their music. Fun Stuff:

http://www.kagero.com/home.cfm?mpf=frame&

Edited by PHILLYQ

• 1 month later...

I made my June gig over the weekend- I saw Dave Douglas at Jazz Standard on Friday night, 2nd set. Excellent set, great band!!! The group name is Brass Ecstasy and has Vincent Chancey on french horn, Marcus Rojas on tuba, Nasheet Waits on drums and Luis Bonilla on trombone. I'd like to say that this one or that one was oustanding, but the truth is that everyone was outstanding! They did a few N'awlins style tunes, with 4 lines of music held together by the drummer and generally displayed a group interplay that was remarkable. On one solo Dave Douglas quoted the 'Woody Woodpecker' theme and 'Flight of the Bumblebee' and had me laughing out loud- the band was loose and relaxed.

Also, big :tup to the venue- I encountered about 5 different people who worked there in the course of my stay and every one was courteous and helpful. Kudos to the waitstaff especially as they managed to serve unobtrusively and efficiently.

• 3 weeks later...

On Wednesday I made my July gig at a freebie in Lower Manhattan. I caught a group inspired by 'On the Corner' with Badal Roy and Michael Henderson, Ingird Jensen played trumpet and sounded like Miles without being slavish. The group did tunes from 'On the Corner' plus some pieces written by the bandmembers that definitley evoke the music of that time. Rudresh Mahanthappa played alto and was very good, and I didn't get the guitar player's name(he was also the musical director) but he played well even though at times he was buried in the mix. While very good I wouldn't say it was great, but it was a lot of fun to see this music in a live setting and the venue was great. The concert took place in Rockefeller Park, about 5-6 blocks away frfom where the World Trade Center used to be. The park is located on trhe Hudson River and has tons of green & a beautiful view.

Edited by PHILLYQ

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the Stone and its no drink policey I was a able to catch a cheap gig ($10)for August. This past Friday I saw a trio of Mary Halvorson, Tom Rainey & Ingrid Laubrock. Good music that at times started reaching to great but never quite got there. Halvorson seemed unsure about where to go in this music or maybe she was having an off night, but her presence was barely felt. Tom Rainey played great, doing free stuff while keeong a pulse. Impressive.

Thanks to the Stone and its no drink policey I was a able to catch a cheap gig ($10)for August. This past Friday I saw a trio of Mary Halvorson, Tom Rainey & Ingrid Laubrock. Good music that at times started reaching to great but never quite got there. Halvorson seemed unsure about where to go in this music or maybe she was having an off night, but her presence was barely felt. Tom Rainey played great, doing free stuff while keeong a pulse. Impressive.

Good to see Ingrid playing over there. She has evolved amazingly over the last ten years or so. From a relatively straight player to one prepared to go right out into the free world. She's also heavenly playing in a Brazilian context.

I've failed abysmally - did catch a low key gig at the St. Ives jazz club in August but missed June/July completely. The Autumn looks stronger - Norma Winstone/Nikki Iles, Marilyn Crispell, Partisans are all playing locally.

• 4 weeks later...

The gig a month rolls on, as I got my September gig in on Sunday with a rock geezer, Robin Trower. The gig was the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville NJ, a fairly large bar that calls itself a ballroom. Other than the foot pain from standing for hours the show was pretty good. Trower had a singer who was barely heard in the mix and didn't seem to carry much vocal punch when he was heard, but the drummer was OK and the bass palyer was good. Trower himself played very well, nothing new or different but he plays the blues/rock thing quite well and is a compelling soloist.

Missed this thread before... let's see...

in January, I caught a horns quartet of a friend (t/natural horn/as/tuba), then caught the flu..

nothing at all in February

in March, I missed BikBentBraam but saw the Sun Ra Arkestra ( :tup )

in April, I was busy catching around 15 films of Jean Renoir's - no concerts...

but on May 3rd, I saw the Circulasione Totale Orchestra (Frode Gjerstad, Louis Moholo, Bobby Bradford...), then later on I caught the band of a friend of a colleague, doing some rock or singer/songwriter stuff or whatever you'd call that...

first weekend in June was the Taktlos festival, caught Xu Fengxia/Lucas Niggli, the Taylor Ho Bynum Sextet, and Luigi Archetti/Bo Wiget all on one night. Then I saw "The Last Waltz"... almost as good as a live show!!!

in July, spent two weeks in Budapest and saw two local bands, one pretty bad one, and one great trio (Cásbár Trio? No idea who they are).

in August, it was Roman Schwaller's Quartet with Jimmy Cobb at that crazy Jazz Festival St. Moritz...

September will be another blank month, but plenty of good things to come in October (Henri Texier, Cesaria Evora, BraffOesterRohrer, Richard Bona and Céu) and in November (Dave Douglas Quintet, titled "Cheltenham 2007" for whatever reason, the band with Donny McCaslin and Uri Caine)

(Dave Douglas Quintet, titled "Cheltenham 2007" for whatever reason, the band with Donny McCaslin and Uri Caine)

Very odd. I'm pretty sure he never played the Cheltenham festival in 2007 and it would be an unlikely place for an international jazz gig outside of festival time. Could be wrong.

He did play this year with McCaslin though not with Caine. It was fabulous!

(Dave Douglas Quintet, titled "Cheltenham 2007" for whatever reason, the band with Donny McCaslin and Uri Caine)

Very odd. I'm pretty sure he never played the Cheltenham festival in 2007 and it would be an unlikely place for an international jazz gig outside of festival time. Could be wrong.

He did play this year with McCaslin though not with Caine. It was fabulous!

They fixed it now... it's just the Dave Douglas Quintet - I guess they read here... :)

Failed in both June and July.

Managed a pretty low key gig in St Ives, Cornwall in August (a place with some of the worst sight-lines I've come across) which didn't do much for me.

Tonight a beauty - Nikki Iles, Norma Winstone, Steve Watts, Jed Williams, Stan Sulzmann (depping for Mark Lockheart) and Mike Walker in a marvellous song based couple of sets drawing from the band themselves, a couple of standards and things by Fred Hersch, Paul Simon and Joni Mitchell. As the usual Sheffield venue (The Crucible) is being renovated it was in a bizarre Unitarian chapel with very hard pews! I seem to have gone to gigs in all sorts of odd places this year...though the Lincoln Drill Hall remains the oddest.

October will be Marilyn Crispell.

Given what's possible in Lincoln, Nottingham and Sheffield I should make November and December.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• 2 weeks later...

Did my September duty on October 2nd in Strasbourg: Cecil fucking Taylor and Tony Oxley - holy holy! :)

Great concert, but bad luck on my side - left a bit early hoping to catch the last train, missed it... the whole concert cost me around 300CHF, close to 200€... but I dare say it was worth it... holy holy, as I said! :)

October duty will be good enough to make up for the summer... tickets for Richard Bona have been booked and just now I printed them, silly "print at home" stuff... is everybody anal here and needs to organise their lives days in advance, print movie tickets at home and know exactly where he'll seat and instist and stuff? crazy world! all kinds of pre-arrangements and reservations ought to be probihibited! :)

I'll try and catch the great BraffOesterRohrer trio on Sunday 11th, Bona is on on Tuesdy 13th!

October duty will be good enough to make up for the summer... tickets for Richard Bona have been booked and just now I printed them, silly "print at home" stuff... is everybody anal here and needs to organise their lives days in advance, print movie tickets at home and know exactly where he'll seat and instist and stuff? crazy world! all kinds of pre-arrangements and reservations ought to be probihibited! :)

You should try booking a train over here ! :crazy:

Not as many gigs so far this year but hope to catch Ben Clatworthy and his Qt. locally this weekend then Pharoah Sanders at Ronnie Scotts, London in a few weeks time. I'm trying to find an excuse to get back in to London a couple of weeks later to see Bobby Hutcherson at Ronnies..

Edited by sidewinder

You should try booking a train over here ! :crazy:

Trains are to hop on, not to book, aren't they? :rolleyes: