Album Covers That Make You Say "Uhhhh...."

JSngry

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhhh...

OK. So looking at the smaller print on the cover: "MODAL JAZZ IS JAZZ PLAYER USING MUSICAL MODES RATHER THAN CHORD PROGRESSIONS."

"JAZZ GOES TO NEO MODAL BEGINNING FROM DISNEY"

Sounds like a "foreign" release. Yet their using the Disney logo, and I'm sure that Mickey is a trademarked image. So did they actually license this through Disney?

And then, other than "Chim, Chim, Cheree", I'm trying to imagine what tunes. "When You Wish Upon A Star"? "The Bear Necessities"?

I gotta hear this record!

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=d99...p%3Bincl_cs%3D1

Modal Jazz Loves Disney -- Jazz Goes To Neo Modal Beginning From Disney

Various

Add to Cart $33.99 ... CD

CD (Item 471529) Avex (Japan), 2008 -- Condition: New Copy

Modal jazz and Disney -- a compelling combination, and one that comes off surprisingly well, thanks to some top shelf talents on the set! Given the "modal" in the title, there's a real club jazz groove coming off of most numbers here -- a lively sort of energy that gets way past the original Disney tunes, and which takes the music into some hipper, more soulful territory. Most of the tracks aren't done in a straight way -- so they're hardly covers of Disney hits, and act more like extrapolations based on a famous theme. A few cuts get a bit mellow, but never in a cheesy or commercial way -- and from what we can tell, most of these tracks are exclusive to the set! Titles include "Baby Mine" by LTC, "A Whole New World" by Native, "Some Day My Prince Will Come" by Fabrizio Bosso, "Love" by Sunaga T Experience with Till Bronner, "When You Wish Upon A Star" by Nicola Conte, "Winnie The Pooh" by Five Corners Quintet, "Part Of Your World" by Rosalia De Souza, "Beauty & The Beast" by Elizabeth Shepherd Trio, "Jungle Book Overture" by Helge Lien Trio, and "Main Street Electrical Parade" by Akiko Grace Trio.

• 2 weeks later...