The Wrestler

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am not exactly a fan of Mickey Rourke the human being, but he is an oddly compelling actor. Ever since that tiny role in Body Heat.

This has been kind of danced around here in several comments, but what exactly did Rourke do? I'm not a big follower of this sort of thing. Did he beat up women? Steal money? Commit arson? What's the big human downfall with Rourke. (He does look shockingly worn in this film, or at least in the promos for it).

I lost track, but there was alot of emotional problems...that led to drug problems...then he decided to become a professional boxer, which is why his face looks like it was run over by a truck.

That sounds like what I remember. Around the time of the boxing (which was an indication of some serious weirdness going on) he seemed to spurn Hollywood, which promptly returned the favor for quite a few years until he rather startlingly turned up in Sin City.

Adolescent brained horndogs will still appreciate it, regardless of when it happens. I'm just curious why it happened at this point - I don't know of any successful actresses who've waited so long to alter a no-nudity policy.

Meg Ryan.

She did nude scenes in The Doors (1991) and Flesh and Bone (1993).

I lost track, but there was alot of emotional problems...that led to drug problems...then he decided to become a professional boxer, which is why his face looks like it was run over by a truck.

That sounds like what I remember. Around the time of the boxing (which was an indication of some serious weirdness going on) he seemed to spurn Hollywood, which promptly returned the favor for quite a few years until he rather startlingly turned up in Sin City.

Rodriguez is a fan of Rourke's, if I remember correctly he has a small role in Once Upon A Time In Mexico.

Great movie saw it tonight, my favourite for the Oscars, both Rourke and Tomei deserve awards for their quite physical performance.

Saw last night Benjamin Button, what a world of difference between those two movies one is a slick Hollywoodian almost kid story while the other one is real drama without artificial cuteness, i can to the latter way more.

Also, why is it that movie makers are able to do realistical wrestling scenes but are shit when doing boxing scenes, andi am not just talking Rocky, all the boxing scenes in Million dollar baby were awful.

Also, why is it that movie makers are able to do realistical wrestling scenes but are shit when doing boxing scenes, andi am not just talking Rocky, all the boxing scenes in Million dollar baby were awful.

Well, the answer that comes to mind is that wrestling is already acting, while boxing isn't.

Well, the answer that comes to mind is that wrestling is already acting, while boxing isn't.

Good point, i guess boxing is pretty hard to recreate, but still at least in the Wrestler people took the time to create a make believe environment and scenarios that looked like the stuff we see in Rasslin shows. They seem to have done their research and homework properly.

In most boxing movies, it seems people in charge of staging fights are too poor to get HBO or even ESPN so they could know how a fight is supposed to look or at least know basic things about the sport. Nobody told Clint Eastwood you can't win a fight by cheapshotting an opponent already on the floor, nor do women or men for that matter knock out opponents in one punch at the start of the fight.

If you're not able to reproduce the speed and technicalities of a real fight, try to go around it instead of having those lame reproductions

Nate never saw Fat City so i can't really comment whether the boxing scenes were credible or not.

By the way, when you look at sports movies is it only boxing do they have problem creating something that looks like the real thing, it seems other sports are usually done better ?

By the way, when you look at sports movies is it only boxing do they have problem creating something that looks like the real thing, it seems other sports are usually done better ?

Baseball's almost always done poorly. But occasionally they get an actor who played a lot and is somewhat realistic. I can't remember any hockey films that were done at all well, except for Slap Shot. (US grid) football movies, at least the star roles, never seem very realistic, but they can fill most of the rosters with ex-pro or college players so the result isn't laughable.

Maybe a problem with boxing is that very few actors have ever competed in the sport. OTOH, many kids/teens played organized baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer...

Edited by T.D.

• 1 month later...

I will see the wrestler this week

Are there any real life wrestlers in the movie?

Yes including the family-murdering suicide, Chris Benoit.

I don't recall seeing Chris Benoit in the film, Dan. He and his family died in 2007. Were they making this film before that?