Just got laid off...

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well that's that.

As it turned out, its not just buyers who are liars - the others are too. Most of the deals I mentioned previously blew up (or went into Witness Protection ) and when the boss threatened to take my pending deals that I hadn't closed for failure to do so in three days, I walked. The risk in doing that is the fact that I have 4 1/2 deals that I am not paid on, because the client had to pay on an installment basis. If the boss is honest, I'll be OK and see $2200 between now and, say, the first week in May. There is one good sign - I sent him an email summarizing the status of my deals and he actually replied that I'd also be paid on one of the deals that he was threatening to take away. He certainly doesn't have to do that, but I'll be happy if he does.

And in my back pocket is the knowledge that I can make trouble for him with state authorities as well as mess up the lawyers he is using by submitting an ethics complaint to the FL Bar (its not allowed to share a fee with a non-lawyer, yet their engagement letters would say that their fee is $1995 or $2500, but they were only keeping $750 or something and paying us the rest - what is that but sharing your fee with a non-lawyer?).

But honestly, this was a screwy situation from the start. His sales process and process for collecting payments was bad, he refused to allow credit cards, he wanted clients to pay higher than most companies charge for Loan Mods, and he was under-capitalized since he couldn't front the money for any deals - I got paid when he got paid by the lawyer - and he never followed through on his promised 10 fresh leads per day.

And the way I got lied to by some clients was unbelievable. If you can't say "no" to me, just disappear! I'll get the message. I had one guy whose name became the noun for all sadistic liars: Gobbs. Mr. Gobbs told me he was set, had the full amount ready, send FedEx to pick up his documents and check. FedEx goes there - no pickup. I speak to him, he says "Oh, I thought you were delivering documents to me." No - we're picking up. "OK, send FedEx tomorrow" - FedEx gets there and they call me - "we're at the house, we can hear the TV but no one is coming to the door". I call the guy. No answer. Another failed pickup, another $40 charge to our FedEx account. I get the guy on the phone that night - "yeah, I was feeling sick yesterday and spent the day in bed. That's why I didn't hear them. Can we do a pickup tomorrow?"

And it was the next day that he finally took pity on me - "Sorry Dan but my neighbor has offered me more money than I owe on the property, I am going to sell it to him and move in with my son."

WHAT A FUCKING GOBBS!

And one of my final straws was the winner in the category of Best Female Impersonation of a Gobbs.

This chick tells me her husband is in the Navy and out to sea. They need help, they are able to do the fee on a payment plan. On the day of the expected pickup, she doesn't answer the phone. Late in the afternoon she does, and tells me this:

"My husband came home unexpectedly - but I am putting the stuff you need together, can I just drop it off at a FedEx box myself?"

Now, in the back of my mind I am thinking "yeah, right your husband came home unexpectedly. As if they don't know ahead of time where the boat is going and when it will be back?" but when you're doing sales like this, you gotta go with what they tell you. So I say fine. Call me or email with the tracking number so I know it was sent.

And today, I get an email - I am sorry Dan but we found someone willing to buy the house and won't need the Loan Mod after all. Thanks for your help, I am going to tell everyone I know who needs a loan mod to call you."

Now I ask you, is that a Gobbs or what?

Now that I've vented - thanks for listening - its time to go find a better Loan Mod company, one that is properly capitalized, follows the rules, pays its salesmen on time, etc. At least I can tell them that I was the top salesman at another Loan Mod company for 3 months. And I have done some searching in the past couple of weeks as sales didn't improve as hoped, and I know there are more than a few out there. In fact, I saw one that also included full benefits.

So wish me luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that! :(

I don't know exactly how you know the starter is bad(tested, or engine just doesn't turn over???) but an old trick you may or may not know is to hammer(not too hard!) on the starter with a wooden mallet or a regular hammer, which did work for me on a couple of occasions.

Well there's some good news for me - I found a new Loan Mod gig, this time with a much better company:

• They've got the money for serious lead generation - all inbound calls
  • They've got a heightened sense of business ethics and commitment to being in it for the long-term rather than trying to get as much money as possible while staying one step ahead of the Feds
  • My commute is 12 minutes instead of 85 minutes, so I can leave and take care of the dogs in the middle of the day
  • Catered lunches and for dinner, $2 empenadas that are to die for

Also got good news from the old company - they'll finally be paying my old commissions - $1000 worth - early next week when they get the money from the lawyer's office.

And things may be looking up for my wife as well - she's got an interview with a company she used to work for to be their new Director of Loan Processing. The problem is it would take her away from her day job of running her non-profit (which can't pay her a salary yet). She wouldn't shut down the non-profit so if she gets the offer and its sufficient for our needs, I've stepped up and said that I would cover the office hours while she brings home the bacon.

So we're keeping our fingers crossed that they do want to hire her and don't lowball her on the salary. The worst thing would be a salary that covers only some of our expenses and leaves me with a substantial part to pick up. It would be tough to help keep the doors open at the non-profit - which is non-negotiable - and also have enough time on the phones to rake in enough commissions.

But this is the best its looked for us in a while, because even if they don't hire her and I stick with the Loan Mod job, I should be able to spend enough time on the phones to earn a pretty substantial paycheck alone, and she can continue to build the non-profit and work on grant writing and fund raising and all that stuff.

Well, I am one very, very happy camper, as my wife just got a job offer which she has accepted. The best thing is that the pay is more than sufficient for her expenses and at the same time, she will be able to keep her non-profit start-up open and work from that office. So she'll wear two hats and put in killer hours, but now while the start-up searches for funding, she'll have more than enough to cover her bills.

And, if my sales continue in the Loan Mod office (and I have three this week), we should be in good shape to get a handle on our debts and rebuild our finances.

This is probably the best news we've had in about three years. We're definitely feeling the best we have in a long while, and just as last Friday my wife took me out to dinner to celebrate my hiring, I am taking her out to dinner to celebrate hers. :wub::)

Well, I am one very, very happy camper, as my wife just got a job offer which she has accepted. The best thing is that the pay is more than sufficient for her expenses and at the same time, she will be able to keep her non-profit start-up open and work from that office. So she'll wear two hats and put in killer hours, but now while the start-up searches for funding, she'll have more than enough to cover her bills.

And, if my sales continue in the Loan Mod office (and I have three this week), we should be in good shape to get a handle on our debts and rebuild our finances.

This is probably the best news we've had in about three years. We're definitely feeling the best we have in a long while, and just as last Friday my wife took me out to dinner to celebrate my hiring, I am taking her out to dinner to celebrate hers. :wub::)

:tup:lol:

Sort of late to the discussion here, but I wanted to wish the best to the cats who lost their jobs. *Especially* those who are fighting depression. I've been out of work since late December, and stayed out of the "fear mode" for the first month by keeping extremely busy with catch-up chores and cleaning my Mom's place -- which was a major operation. Then a serious dark cloud developed, and things got so bad I was forced to completely change my routine to survive. I've started a morning affirmation/meditation routine, upped the excercise (esp. cardio) and have made more time to hang with my really good supportive friends -- doing dinner, and stuff like that that doesn't involve depleting my savings. It's made a world of difference in my outlook. Like connseries, I've decided to retrain, since California will extend my benefits if I choose an in-demand field and help with tuition. Haven't started yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Shawn & Alexander --- please be good to yourselves and make sure managing your depression is a priority. I have some bad days, but not like two months ago. I really believe we all can get through this. One of the big things that helps keep me focused on my new mental health program is that I have an elderly Mom that depends on me. What a blessing that has been, as it gets me out of myself -- inasmuch I'm acutely aware that letting my spirits get dangerously low would negatively impact her care.

Dan.........thanks for lifting me up with your success story, and best wishes to all who are struggling.

All the best to the folks without "regular" employment at the moment. This is a chance for self evaluation. Is there something about your demeanor or attitude holding you back? Could be. Try for an honest self evaluation and go from there. I know my personality traits (even those I claim as positive) have inhibited my chances in some business opportunities. Check yourself out to see if you are the problem.

Finding work is tough right now, even in the medical field. I'm hoping to find some kind of low-end medical job over the summer, as I will have no classes. Apparently, there are a thousand applicants for every job. Many hospitals have hiring freezes. This country is fucked!

Something better clear up when I graduate in December.

Finding work is tough right now, even in the medical field. I'm hoping to find some kind of low-end medical job over the summer, as I will have no classes. Apparently, there are a thousand applicants for every job. Many hospitals have hiring freezes. This country is fucked!

Something better clear up when I graduate in December.

I work in a multi hospital health system in New York State. We have a hiring freeze in place - except for nurses. There is a HUGE demand for nurses right now - at least 'round these parts.

When hospitals are short nurses, they either pay over-time or work with temp agencies that specialize in nurses. They pay huge dollars either way. So it behooves hospitals to continue to hire nurses so that they can pay them the regular rate and avoid the overtime pay and/or agency costs.

There's also a lot of creativitiy being used to get nurse to work. extended shifts, work weekends exclusively and get full time benefits for about 30 hours work. Also, to entice nurses to sign on as per diems or part time - they offer an hourly rate equivalent to the hourly rate + the cost of benefits - meaning that instead of $30 an hour you might get paid $40.