Obama's Secret Record Collection

porcy62

When Barack Obama moved into the White House on January 20th, he gained access to five chefs, a private bowling alley — and a killer collection of classic LPs. Stored in the basement of the executive mansion is the official White House Record Library: several hundred LPs that include landmark albums in rock (Led Zeppelin IV, the Rolling Stones' Let It Bleed), punk (the Ramones' Rocket to Russia, the Sex Pistols' Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols), cult classics (Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica, the Flying Burrito Brothers' The Gilded Palace of Sin) and disco. Not to mention records by Santana, Neil Young, Talking Heads, Isaac Hayes, Elton John, the Cars and Barry Manilow.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/255...cord_collection

Edited by porcy62

Here's a story line for a novel--an older, unhip President discovers the collection, pulls out "Trout Mask Replica", is unfamiliar with it but puts it on the turntable, and becomes obsessed with it. He cannot stop listening to it, every waking moment. He has the sound system moved into the Oval Office so that he can listen to it non-stop all the time. He insists on having it play over speakers in the Situation Room during international crises. The effect of so much listening to "Trout Mask Replica" is that the President.....

• 3 weeks later...

I hear that 10 Downing Street ditched their copy of the Beatles 'Dear Prudence'.

or maybe the version by Siouxsie and the Banshees?

They kept the 45rpm Jilted John 'Gordon Is A Moron' though..

I think we should help cheer him up. The adjective is used in the old fashioned sense:

The Gay Gordons

Formation: couples around the room facing anti-clockwise, ladies on the right.

Music: 2/4 or 4/4 march. E.g. "Scotland the Brave", "The Gay Gordons".

Bars: Description

1-2: Right hands joined over lady's shoulder (man's arm behind her back) and left hands joined in front, walk forward for four steps, starting on the right foot.

3-4: Still moving in the same direction, and without letting go, pivot on the spot (so left hand is behind lady and right hand is in front) and take four steps backwards.

5-8: Repeat in the opposite direction.

9-12: Drop left hands, raise right hands above lady's head. Lady pivots on the spot. (The man may set).

13-16: Joining hands in ballroom hold, polka round the room.

Repeat ad lib.

For scottish country dancers, the grip in the first eight bars is allemande hold.

Maybe when Gordon and Barack have their first high level meeting?

There is a copy of my Air record in that collection. Received a letter from John Hammond requesting it.

I wonder if it has ever been played.

As these albums are in sleeves containing the Presidential seal, imagine what they would bring if they suddenly starting popping up on ebay.

Carter loved his be-bop, Clinton his greazze. But I could see both or either being invested enough in jazz to give AIR TIME a spin.