*** Clifford Jordan ***

Rooster_Ties

e82836non8q.jpg

Mentioned already by Joe and Bruce, but I wanted to bring attention back to this particular two-fer. Not only is the music great (particularly Starting Time), but the original recording by Ray Fowler (and subsequent remastering by Kirk Felton) is fairly amazing. The horns are dramatically up-front — right there on your lap — but somehow they don't drown out the contributions of the rhythm section. (If you're a Wilbur Ware fan, you need to add this to your collection!) Both albums, originally on Jazzland, are some of the best-sounding I have on compact disc. And, sonics aside, Jordan's solos ... like your favorite slice of cheesecake and cappuccino: scrumptious.

(And I didn't even get started on Dorham's contributions ... )

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered a copy of this, it is yet another victim of the concord purge so, carpe diem

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clifford Jordan is also one of my favorite tenorplayers.

I' amazed that only once have "Royal Ballads" been mentioned, it is one of my

favorite CD's:

Clifford Jordan (tenor), Kevin O'Connell(piano), Ed Howard(bass), Vernell Fournier(drums).

Lush Life; Pannonica; Royal Blues; Little Girl Blue; Armando; Don't Get Around Much Anymore; Everything Happens To Me; 'Round about Midnight.

CrissCross CD 1025, it is a must for everybody that dig Clifford Jordan.

Recorded 12/23/1986 by Van Gelder,

Vic

ROYAL BALLADS is an absolute gem. I really like the other Criss Cross, TWO TENOR WINNER also. Time to pull them out again.

Haven't spun MOSAIC for awhile, either. Thank goodness for upped threads. :)

e82836non8q.jpg

Mentioned already by Joe and Bruce, but I wanted to bring attention back to this particular two-fer. Not only is the music great (particularly Starting Time), but the original recording by Ray Fowler (and subsequent remastering by Kirk Felton) is fairly amazing. The horns are dramatically up-front — right there on your lap — but somehow they don't drown out the contributions of the rhythm section. (If you're a Wilbur Ware fan, you need to add this to your collection!) Both albums, originally on Jazzland, are some of the best-sounding I have on compact disc. And, sonics aside, Jordan's solos ... like your favorite slice of cheesecake and cappuccino: scrumptious.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered a copy of this, it is yet another victim of the concord purge so, carpe diem

Just got this from Newbury Comics a few weeks ago and am enjoying mightily.

I'm well on my way to owning every Wilbur Ware session extant.

e82836non8q.jpg

Just got this from Newbury Comics a few weeks ago and am enjoying mightily.

I'm well on my way to owning every Wilbur Ware session extant.

I knew you'd dig this. :tup

I like Clifford Jordan a lot. My collection lacks many of his solo albums though, so I have a question:

Is Highest Mountain on Muse (NOT the one Steeplechase!) the same recording as Night of the Mark VII?

Edited by Kyo

In the World was reissued in the past year by P-Vine, here's a review link:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:gxfwxqlgldte

Another cheaper alternative to the out of print Starta East LPs Glass Bead Games (Vols. 1 & 2) reissued by Bomba:

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0zfpxqyrldfe

I got my review copies through Clifford Jordan's widow, so I presume they were legit.

• 6 months later...

Interesting thread. I agree with most of what's been said excepting the warm reception of THE ADVENTURER. It's a very average date by Jordan standards (similar to The Pentagon -- speaking of atrocious covers).

Some things I would add to check out:

Benny Powell's Coast to Coast with a great version of THE HIGHEST MOUNTAIN

Dick Griffin's Now Is The Time -- Jordan is featured prominently, particularly on THE QUEEN

I got to see Clifford in 1992 at The Hasty Pudding Club. Clifford let me tape that show, and the band was John Hicks, Jamil Nasser and Vernell Fournier. Great night!

The key with Jordan is it would be quicker to list the stuff to avoid than the stuff worth getting. Clifford is a pretty safe bet.

• 14 years later...

I have been listening to, and been floored by, those live recordings of Clifford Jordan and the Magic Triangle lately. Need a spot to remark on my enthusiasm and this is probably the only spot on the internet that might care.

On Stage Vol. 3 is blowing my mind right now. The first cut, Seven Minds, legit sounds like they're channeling the Coltrane Quartet. Then a couple songs later they're doing this burning calypso St Thomas. Feel like few working bands displayed such mastery and range. 

Ay other fans??

On 2/29/2008 at 10:56 AM, ghost of miles said:

Just ordered the GLASS BEAD GAMES reissue after reading about it over at Destination Out--sounds like a really fine date.

Finally got around to hearing this for the first time a few months ago, via the Mosaic box - it’s exceptionally good. More straight ahead than I expected.