*** Clifford Jordan ***

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then there's a nice (european) release of late Jordan called "Clifford Jordan meets Klaus Weiss", recorded in Vienna in 1987 it features Jordan with John Schröder, g; Roberto di Gioia, p; Thomas Stabenow, b; Klaus Weiss, d.

Find more here

ubu

DUDE!

A good friend just hooked me up with a copy of this, and it's BAAAAADDDD. Clifford's got his burr on real nice, and the rhythm section SMOKES! Probably a bitch-and-a-half to find, but well worth it!

I see that nobody's commented on SOUL FOUNTAIN. It's good, not great. If you can find a good deal on it and want something short and hiply entertaining, get it. There's far worse music to buy.

Good to hear you like it!

Just got to ignore the ugly cover - it could disturb or even keep you away from the CD...

ubu

Then there's a nice (european) release of late Jordan called "Clifford Jordan meets Klaus Weiss", recorded in Vienna in 1987 it features Jordan with John Schröder, g; Roberto di Gioia, p; Thomas Stabenow, b; Klaus Weiss, d.

Find more here

ubu

DUDE!

A good friend just hooked me up with a copy of this, and it's BAAAAADDDD. Clifford's got his burr on real nice, and the rhythm section SMOKES! Probably a bitch-and-a-half to find, but well worth it!

I see that nobody's commented on SOUL FOUNTAIN. It's good, not great. If you can find a good deal on it and want something short and hiply entertaining, get it. There's far worse music to buy.

Good to hear you like it!

Just got to ignore the ugly cover - it could disturb or even keep you away from the CD...

ubu

Dare I ask what the cover looks like???? :huh:

• 4 months later...

Why is this one such a bitch to find??

I understand our own Spontoonious has been looking for one for years (but the bidding always goes too high for him, and he never sees it when digging through LP's).

And another buddy of mine (a guy 10,000 LP's in his basement), used to have it -- but was offered $300 for it once, and it's one of the very few LP's he's ever sold in his entire life (he keeps nearly everything he ever buys, 99% of the time).

What's the deal?? Can anybody provide Spontoonious and me with a burn??

f84329oga17.jpg

"In the World" (Strata East, 1969-ish)

line-up (at least according to the AMG)...

Don Cherry - Trumpet

Richard Davis - Bass

Kenny Dorham - Trumpet

Ron Haynes - Drums

Albert "Tootie" Heath - Drums

Clifford Jordan - Tenor

Wynton Kelly - Piano

Julian Priester - Trombone

Wilbur Ware - Bass

Is everybody on every cut?? I'm guessing probably not. Two trumpets, two drummers, two bass-players.

Any why is there an image of the cover in the AMG, when most of the time -- there've only got images of things that have been released on CD. AND, they have an image of the cover -- but no review!! (???) :huh:

Edit: What's the big draw here?? Cherry in a conservative context?? Dorham in a progressive one?? One of Dorham's last dates?? Simple "supply and demand" issues?? (Though I wonder what's driving demand here, or is "supply" simply razor-thin?? - i.e. a very small initial pressing, and then nothing else - for some strange reason??) Lot's of speculating, I know.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Any comments on this one?? Ever been on CD?? (I'm guessing, probably not)

jordan_clif_soulfount_101b.jpg

Dusty describes it thusly...

Clifford Jordan  -- Soul Fountain (Vortex, 1970)

A very unusual album from Clifford Jordan -- a session of shorter soul jazz numbers cut in the years between his earlier hardbop albums and his later, more righteous sounds of the 70s! The style here is straightforward and to the point -- very much in the Atlantic soul jazz style of the late 60s, but with some looser, freer touches -- especially on Jordan's solos, which are especially nice! There's organ on a fair bit of tracks on the record -- played by either John Patton or Frank Owens -- and other players include Jimmy Owens on trumpet, Bob Cranshaw on bass, and Billy Higgins on drums. Most tracks also have added percussion at the bottom (some by Ray Barretto) -- making for a slightly more complicated groove that comes across with some headier sounds than you might expect! Jordan not only plays his usual tenor, but also flute and a bit of piano -- and titles in clude "TNT", "HNIC", "I've Got A Feeling For You", "I Got You", "Senor Blues", "Retribution", and "Eeh Bah Lickey Doo".

Believe it's been on Japanese CD.

I found the LP back in the 70s. Most of the cuts, as well as overall playing time, tend to be short. It's an "interesting" side, good-not-great, and somewhat "commercial (but not disgracefully so). One or two "straight ahead" things thrown in. Worth having if you're a CJ fan (and I am), but not worth paying megabucks for. imo.

I agree that "Cliff Craft', "The Adventurer", "Repetition" and "Live At Ethell's" are among the best recordings under Clifford Jordan's name.

Here are some other good ones that I don't recall seeing mentioned.

Cliff Jordan - Blue Note (with good Ray Bryant,John Jenkins and Lee Morgan)

Royal Ballads - Criss Cross

Two Tenor Winner - Criss Cross (with Junior Cook & Kirk Lightsey)

Four Play - D.I.W (with James Williams)

Guest akanalog

i just got a sketchy CD of clifford jordan "in the world" i think it is called.

pretty good-i think originally on strata east. i really like the first tune, "vienna".

interesting mix of modern and older school players for 1969 too-like wynton kelly and julian priester and don cherry and roy haynes and kenny dorham and ed blackwell.

for some reason "glass bead games" never did it for me. sounded too commercial or something even though i am sure that wasn't the case. i like this "in the world one" better.

i think i will explore some of those muse ones next.

which is the most progressive of the muse dates? seems like savoy has put then back out there.

pretty good-i think originally on strata east.  i really like the first tune, "vienna".

interesting mix of modern and older school players for 1969 too-like wynton kelly and julian priester and don cherry and roy haynes and kenny dorham and ed blackwell.

for some reason "glass bead games" never did it for me.  sounded too commercial or something even though i am sure that wasn't the case.  i like this "in the world one" better.

i think i will explore some of those muse ones next.

which is the most progressive of the muse dates?  seems like savoy has put then back out there.

I think that "In The World" is great too; it was an LP on Strata East. I also love "Glass Bead Games". I think that you should give that one another listen or three.

My favorite Muse recording with Clifford Jordan on it is Richard Davis's "Epistrophy/Now's The Time, Recorded Live at Jazz City", a very "live" date: passionate,boisterous, atmospheric, reflective, and "free" (for a Muse release). It was originally an LP, but had a nice version of "Highest Mountain" added on its CD incarnation. It has been one of my very favorite live albums since LP days.

pretty good-i think originally on strata east.  i really like the first tune, "vienna".

Sketchy, or not, what are the details?? If the SQ is even half-way OK, I'd love to find "In The World" on CD. Do tell!!

One Jordan CD I like is the Big Band date, "Down Through the Years" (Milestone). Now it has some problems for sure. The band is pretty loose and the recording quality mediocre (the trumpet section is way down in the mix). Yet the rhythm section is smokin' (Ronnie Mathews, David Williams, and Vernel Fournier); the soloists esp. Jordan and Dizzy Reece are in excellent form, and the band swings hard. Despite the problems, the whole thing somehow comes together, and whenever I play it, it's a recording I'm glad I've heard.

In The World is a great side. Found it in the early 80s and still play it regularly. My buddy Lyles West, who used to hang w/Clifford in the early 80s, tells me that Clifford said that that was his "best" record.

Take that for what it's worth, but it's a damn fine side no matter how you slice it.

Sketchy, or not, what are the details?? If the SQ is even half-way OK, I'd love to find "In The World" on CD. Do tell!!

From the Strata-East vinyl...

Musicians are Don Cherry, Julian Priester, Clifford Jordan, Wynton Kelly, Wilbur Ware, Richard Davis, Al Heath (side 1 only), Kenny Dorham, Roy Haynes, Ed Blackwell added on side 2. Recorded Spring 1969.

side 1:

- Vienna

- Doug's Prelude

side 2:

- Ouagadougou

This was 'the first of the Dolphy Series Produced by Clifford Jordan' says the back cover!

Clifford Jordan is also one of my favorite tenorplayers.

I' amazed that only once have "Royal Ballads" been mentioned, it is one of my

favorite CD's:

Clifford Jordan (tenor), Kevin O'Connell(piano), Ed Howard(bass), Vernell Fournier(drums).

Lush Life; Pannonica; Royal Blues; Little Girl Blue; Armando; Don't Get Around Much Anymore; Everything Happens To Me; 'Round about Midnight.

CrissCross CD 1025, it is a must for everybody that dig Clifford Jordan.

Recorded 12/23/1986 by Van Gelder,

Vic