Keith Jarrett: A One-of-a-Kind Artist Prepares for His Solo

The pond outside Keith Jarrett's home in rural New Jersey is frozen over. Inside the jazz pianist's 18th-century farmhouse, life appears similarly suspended. An expectant silence reverberates against the walls of vinyl LPs, CD boxes spilling off sofas, towers of stereo equipment bristling with cables. Next door, in the converted barn that houses Mr. Jarrett's recording studio, a pair of Steinways and two harpsichords cower under black quilted covers.

In the weeks leading up to a solo improvised concert, Mr. Jarrett retreats into creative solitude to empty his mind. More than 30 years since his first fully improvised solo album, "Facing You," he continues to be the only pianist to offer evening-long concerts of music created out of nothing. He records every such concert, preferring a recording to any attempt to notate and transcribe his music. The recordings thus become the authoritative source for his "compositions." Tonight, he will play at Carnegie Hall, his first North American solo appearance in more than three years. How does he prepare for such a tightrope act?

More:

Keith Jarrett

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And so it quickly turns into another Jarrett bashing thread... :rolleyes:

He who lives by the hype, dies by the hype. What does this article do other than feed Keith's meglomania?

Personally I have so little respect for Jarrett the person (and esp. his view of himself vis a vis "the audience") that I am boycotting everything he touches. Don't see anything that would make me change my mind.

Hmmmm...

"...music created out of nothing..."

:w

Bill - Shouldn't this really read "...nothing created out of music..."

No one on the planet can ruin a song quicker than Mr. Jarrett. I won't argue for a minute that he isn't a supremely gifted musician, but that's where it ends. His unnecessary histrionics and incessant warbling are among the most annoying affectations in all of music.

Up over and out.

wow, it took 12 whole posts before the first one whining about the whining!

I agree. It's amazing that there's such a need among some posters here to deligitimize the entire idea of Keith Jarrett, as if he should be wiped off the face of the earth. There are many other jazz performers who are obnoxious in their own way, Eric Dolphy comes to mind, but when there's a new Eric Dolphy thread, people are left alone to leave positive opinions.

Jeez, it's like a dog gnawing a bone. Give it a rest! We get it - you don't like Keith Jarrett. Now go away!

wow, it took 12 whole posts before the first one whining about the whining!

I agree. It's amazing that there's such a need among some posters here to deligitimize the entire idea of Keith Jarrett, as if he should be wiped off the face of the earth. There are many other jazz performers who are obnoxious in their own way, Eric Dolphy comes to mind, but when there's a new Eric Dolphy thread, people are left alone to leave positive opinions.

Jeez, it's like a dog gnawing a bone. Give it a rest! We get it - you don't like Keith Jarrett. Now go away!

If I was to choose one word to describe Jarrett, it would be selfish. He has no respect for his audience. That's unforgivable. I don't care if it's Keith Jarrett or Eric Dolphy or anyone else. And just so we're clear, I have the Standards Trio Blue Note box. Three stars. Five if someone had gagged him before they hit the stage.

Up over and out.

I've not had much time for Jarrett's pretensions and bad temper over the years; but I've gained great pleasure from much of his music (though I wish he'd try a different format once in a while!).

I've not had much time for the pretensions and bad temper of the jazz intelligensia over the years; I've gained considerably less pleasure from their pronouncements and assertions.

What I find really puzzling is the utter conviction of both with regard to the rightness of their viewpoint and the idiocy of those who prefer a different path.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

What's wrong with Eric Dolphy?

I don't much care for his sound or his conception. I often think he kills the groove of tunes he plays on, for example, on "Blues and the Abstract Truth." While I give him a chance, I often just turn him off.

Having said that, I don't post on Dolphy threads about how much I dislike him. I simply sidestep that thread. I wish others would do the same with Jarrett threads.

I don't much care for his sound or his conception. I often think he kills the groove of tunes he plays on, for example, on "Blues and the Abstract Truth." While I give him a chance, I often just turn him off.

Having said that, I don't post on Dolphy threads about how much I dislike him. I simply sidestep that thread. I wish others would do the same with Jarrett threads.

I thought we're all grown-ups here - no one is hurt reading contrary views about their favorite musicians. No one should have to bite their tongue about a subject they want to comment on.

I thought we're all grown-ups here - no one is hurt reading contrary views about their favorite musicians. No one should have to bite their tongue about a subject they want to comment on.

Come on, Dan. The tone, and the comments, are the same in every Jarrett thread. They don't leave room for people who do like his music to discuss. It's the equivalent of farting in a crowded room - it drives everyone out.

Being grown-up also implies self-restraint.

I have to say I'm with MJ here. . . it becomes like a Marsalis thread. No polite discussion is possible with the bombs dropped by Allen et al.

It doesn't matter, I don't HAVE to discuss the music of Marsalis or Jarrett. But I find myself talking less and less about music in general on this board.

Come on, Dan. The tone, and the comments, are the same in every Jarrett thread. They don't leave room for people who do like his music to discuss. It's the equivalent of farting in a crowded room - it drives everyone out.

Being grown-up also implies self-restraint.

Number one, I see a lot of restrained comments here. Even Dave James gives credit where its due and says he owns some Jarrett.

Number two, is there a need to discuss his music at this point? He is what he is. You like it or your don't. You find his attitude and behavior annoying or you don't care. You find his vocalizing annoying or you tune it our or think it adds something. You have to admit the man inspires as disparate responses as possible, its almost Wynton-esque. Its also impossible to have a simple discussion about Wynton's music, either. You like it or you don't; you find him so personally objectionable that you have no interest; you think he gets a bum rap.

I still don't see how commentary from anyone prevents people who do like his music to discuss it.

I have to say I'm with MJ here. . . it becomes like a Marsalis thread. No polite discussion is possible with the bombs dropped by Allen et al.

It doesn't matter, I don't HAVE to discuss the music of Marsalis or Jarrett. But I find myself talking less and less about music in general on this board.

Me too. Why even bother bringing it up anymore- yeah, I get it, the vocalizations are annoying to people who let it bother them. I read it in every thread about him, as every one of them always get pushed down that road by the usual suspects.