Blue Note Records Listening Party

Rooster_Ties

What should I take?? Tyrone Washington's "Natural Essence" for sure (but which track to try to have played?).

Maybe something off "Passing Ships" (Hill)??

Anything else?? What should I take?? What would you take, to try and have played??

Blue Note Records Listening Party

Join fellow music lovers, renowned saxophonist Bobby Watson, record collector & Blue Note aficionado Elmer Jackson and DJ Miles Bonny for an old-school listening party at the Blue Room! Attendees will discuss the impact of the many eras of the legendary Blue Note record label while listening to local DJ and jazz enthusiast Miles Bonny spin music from 5:00PM to 7:00PM.

The Urban League of Greater Kansas City will sponsor a speed-networking session from 5:00pm to 6:30pm. At 7:00PM and lasting until 9:00PM, Bonny will play Blue Note requests. Patrons are invited to share their favorite Blue Note recordings from the past 70 years and share their memories with fellow music lovers.

The Blue Room will also several specials and other promotions, including $5 martinis, $3 drafts and wine, Blue Note 7 concert ticket giveaways and other prizes. Additional tickets to the Blue Note 7 concert will be available exclusively at this event for only $30, which also includes a complimentary solo American Jazz Museum membership.

Admission to the Blue Note Listening Party is free, but please RSVP (see link above for details).

Tuesday February 10th 2009, 5:00pm to 9:00pm

In the Blue Room, Admission is Free

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Sounds like fun. Wish I could be there.

Well you should definitely see that Hill gets represented, and I'd vote for Passing Ships- you can talk about its long-awaited release. The more I listen to it the more I become convinced of its heaviness.

I'd probably take Mode For Joe or Unity. Or Roll Call. Or Free For All. Or Cape Verdean Blues. Or the Blakey Live at Birdland.

Damn, tough call.

I hope you go, I'd like to hear about it.

Edited by Free For All

I would take something that illustrates the element of risk taking. While Monk is the most obvious choice in this context, I would look elsewhere. Others have suggested Andrew Hill and Larry Young, both of whom fill this bill, but to me, Tina Brooks is most representative of the label's willingness to take chances. His inclusion could lead the session in a number of different, and interesting directions. As to what track, if I'm interpreting the invitation correctly, that should your call.

This sounds like fun. Definitely report back if you go.

Up over and out.

Risk taking is a good point.

Jimmy Smith's first would be another good example. Who knew that you could sell this stuff like crazy in 1956?

In any case, you gotta have some JOS, or Big John, or Baby Face.

And don't forget earlier stuff:

Sidney Bechet's "Summertime";

Ike Quebec's "Blue Harlem";

And something from the Ammons/Lewis session that started it all.

MG

Off the top of my head, some stand-outs that might have been representative of the label's different interests.

Golden Circle

Out to Lunch!

The Last Session

Indestructible!

Street of Dreams

Sonny Clark Trio or Horace Silver Trio or Herbie Nichols Trio (I would have a tough time choosing between these, but I would end up on Nichols)

Fats Navarro and Tadd Dameron: The Complete Blue Note and Capitol Recordings

There is such a range of music to choose from. Maybe a good point to try to make, since Blue Note seems to be so identified with HARD BOP and the Jazz Messengers style of music.

in that case, maybe one of the last Wayne Shorter sessions... Moto Grosso Feio, Supernova, Odyssey of Iska?