origin of discography

Juliewells

Discography is the study and listing of sound recordings.

This word stems from:

1. the gramophone record, often called a "disc", the dominant commercial medium of sound recording for most of the 20th century

A listing of all recordings which a musician or singer features on can be called their "discography". Additionally, discographies may be compiled based on a particular musical genre or record label, etc.

The term "discography" was popularized in the 1930s by collectors of jazz records. Jazz fans did research and self published discographies about when jazz records were made and what musicians were on the records, as record companies did not commonly include that information on/with the records at that time.

Cheap Acoustic Guitars

Edited by Juliewells

thanks for turning me on to this chris - hope the following is more accurate than my recent quotes on acetates:

"The Bulgarian women's embroidering art was noted by many a foreign traveller in the Bulgarian lands during the 16th-19th centuries. The tradition of embroidery was mostly spread among the peasant population and predominantly connected with the decoration of garments. Ornamental needlework involved counting the cloth fibres and, in the case of thin cotton and silk textiles, using an embroidery frame for stretching the material with the pattern being previously drawn on it using a pencil or a stick of charcoal.

Traditional Bulgarian embroidery is characterized by great regional and local diversity. There is a wide variety of flat, raised and open-work stitches. Among those most often applied are several types of stitches: straight stitch (horizontal and slanted); cross stitch (or Koumanian); loop stitch, and two-faced stitch. The high artistic value of the designs is largely due to the skilful selection and treatment of materials. Commonly used are woollen and silk threads. Metallic (golden) threads would give a touch of brilliance and magnificence to the embroidery. The designs are primarily geometrical, combined with stylized floral motifs and animal and human figures. The hem embroidered with anthropomorphic figures is typical of the patterns from the town of Samokov. Embroidery from the Sofia region is a symmetrical, elaborate combination of geometrical motifs of ancient origin and meaning. The dense embroidery from South-west Bulgaria, with its typical interplay of red and wine-red hues, is entirely different from the sokai embroidery of the Gabrovo area - open-worked and decorated with gold threads."

thanks for turning me on to this chris - hope the following is more accurate than my recent quotes on acetates:

"The Bulgarian women's embroidering art was noted by many a foreign traveller in the Bulgarian lands during the 16th-19th centuries. The tradition of embroidery was mostly spread among the peasant population and predominantly connected with the decoration of garments. Ornamental needlework involved counting the cloth fibres and, in the case of thin cotton and silk textiles, using an embroidery frame for stretching the material with the pattern being previously drawn on it using a pencil or a stick of charcoal.

Traditional Bulgarian embroidery is characterized by great regional and local diversity. There is a wide variety of flat, raised and open-work stitches. Among those most often applied are several types of stitches: straight stitch (horizontal and slanted); cross stitch (or Koumanian); loop stitch, and two-faced stitch. The high artistic value of the designs is largely due to the skilful selection and treatment of materials. Commonly used are woollen and silk threads. Metallic (golden) threads would give a touch of brilliance and magnificence to the embroidery. The designs are primarily geometrical, combined with stylized floral motifs and animal and human figures. The hem embroidered with anthropomorphic figures is typical of the patterns from the town of Samokov. Embroidery from the Sofia region is a symmetrical, elaborate combination of geometrical motifs of ancient origin and meaning. The dense embroidery from South-west Bulgaria, with its typical interplay of red and wine-red hues, is entirely different from the sokai embroidery of the Gabrovo area - open-worked and decorated with gold threads."

God, don't let Marsailis and Crouch get ahold of that! ;)

Allen, you have again broadened my horizon. Of course, I knew some of this, but I had no idea that the sokai approach to embroiderycame from the Gabrovo area! What an extraordinary coincidence that is when one thinks of the long and sometimes sordid history of the two-faced stitch. How drab life would be without such unexpected revelations!

Can we expect "That Devilin' Stitch" any time soon?

Myself, I'd like to read That Devilin' Stritch - The Autobiography of Rahsaan Roland Kirk's Repairman.

:rolleyes:

Go ahead and roll your eyes, mister rightful disdainer of not so good puns, but believe me when I tell you that instrument repair people are the top secret superheroes of the music world!

Myself, I'd like to read That Devilin' Stritch - The Autobiography of Rahsaan Roland Kirk's Repairman.

:rolleyes:

Go ahead and roll your eyes, mister rightful disdainer of not so good puns, but believe me when I tell you that instrument repair people are the top secret superheroes of the music world!

No, I thought it was really f'in funny but, you know, Baaaad.

:rofl::rofl:

:tup:tup

One never knows, do one?? (As a famous subject of that "other" discography" used to say...)

BTW, please note this key statement from the above link:

"Discs degenerate in all adults as we grow older" :D :D

CD owners, heed this warning!

And indeed - the longer we play our vinyl (as we grow older with our vinyl) the more it invariably degenerates. :D

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 2 weeks later...