album of this week

Juliewells

From Wikipedia:

"In schools in Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Iceland, Dux is a modern title given to the top student in academic and sporting achievement (Dux Litterarum and Dux Ludorum respectively) in each graduating year."

But also:

"Italian Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini used the title of Dux (and Duce in Italian) to represent his leadership."

One of the definitions from dictionary.com:

ducks: (Chiefly British) A dear. Often used in the plural with a singular verb.

In the East Midlands it's a common term of endearment. 'Eh up, me duck*' ('Hello, old chap!'). Regularly used by shopkeepers, workmen etc as a way of oiling social intercourse. 'That'll be two quid, duck.'

The kids where I work use it regularly.

Not sure that was MG's meaning, though.

* Pronounced like 'book' rather than 'pluck'.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

One of the definitions from dictionary.com:

ducks: (Chiefly British) A dear. Often used in the plural with a singular verb.

In the East Midlands it's a common term of endearment. 'Eh up, me duck*' ('Hello, old chap!'). Regularly used by shopkeepers, workmen etc as a way of oiling social intercourse. 'That'll be two quid, duck.'

The kids where I work use it regularly.

Not sure that was MG's meaning, though.

* Pronounced like 'book' rather than 'pluck'.

I remember Albert Finney addressing Shirley Ann Field as "duck" in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, set in Nottingham. I think MG's "ducks" was used by Cockneys. Doesn't he hail from the south-east originally?

Edited by BillF

Bill, wasn't that "Saturday Night And Sunday Morning"? I remember seeing it for the first time at some arthouse cinema in Nottingham, when I was a student at (then) Trent Polytechnic.

I like the film, but I don't recall there being a Nottingham accent in it. Shirley Ann Field was particularly bad - typical, I suppose, of thespians doing proletarian accents.

• 3 weeks later...