Received phone call threatening legal action...

Shawn

After doing a quick search online I found many reports of this place being a scam outfit. The debt they are talking to me about is valid...but they offered to settle for a ridiculous percentage of the original owed amount and then started talking about them adding another $2000 in court costs and other various fees on top of what I owe if I don't settle this out of court.

It smells like bullshit, but it's also got me scared so bad I'm literally shaking. Here's a quick blurb I found on the net. Any Advice would be much appreciated.

QAR, LLC

Falzone Law Associates

FRANK S. FALZONE

Bar 1820869

215 HAMPSHIRE ST

BUFFALO, NY 14213-2021

fka/ QUADRANT GROUP LLC

SUITE #303-332

5140 MAIN STREET (UPS Store)

WILLIAMSVILLE, NY, 14221-5296

QAR Claims on their website to be

members of the ACA. They don't show up on the ACA database.

55 Pineview Drive

Amherst, NY 14228

Phone: (716) 210-1341

Fax: (716) 210-1348

Web Address: www.qar-inc.com

Head Debt Collectors: Daniel Mendez

Reverend Daniel Grant (Of the Sweet Home Church)

CONSUMER WARNING! (October 5, 2007)

THIS ORGANIZATION IS A KNOWN CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE WHERE DEBT COLLECTORS, HIGH ON DRUGS, POSING AS POLICE OFFICERS ARE CALLING CONSUMERS WITH THREATS OF ARREST AND SEIZURE. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM! THEY ARE LIARS, THIEVES AND EXTORTIONISTS.

IF YOU ARE CONTACTED BY QUADRANT GROUP, CALL US IMMEDIATELY FOR ASSISTANCE AND REFERRAL. DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY!!

http://www.budhibbs.com/debtcollectorpages...drant_group.htm

Caller ID: 800-403-4920

Caller: Falzone Law Associates

Caller Type: Collection Agency

Shawn,

If I were in your shoes, with minimal income and a lot of old debts haunting you, I wouldn't take a single phone call from a collector. No one has to subject themselves to such calls. If they do catch you, tell them to f*ck off because you can't pay the debt.

The second thing I'd look into is a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy filing. Its virtually a given that your income will qualify you for Chapter 7 instead of 13, which means all debts will be wiped out*. The fee is $300 if you do it yourself, obviously more if you can afford an attorney. But you need to move forward in a way that allows you to start fresh. Especially if you are looking at a possible job in Dallas.

But at minimum, don't talk to bill collectors unless you are prepared to initiate the contact because you are in a position to pay something off.

*income qualification is your income in the last six months compared to the state median income divided by two. And the income that counts is only what you earn from a job. If you borrowed from friends or family members shot you a little help, it doesn't count. Even if you used a cash advance on a credit card, that's not "income" as defined by the bankruptcy code. So you shouldn't worry that its tougher to qualify for Chapter 7 after the bankruptcy "reforms". Most people who qualified for Chapter 7 before, qualify for it now.

Edited by Dan Gould

I read an article about this new breed of debt collectors. Apparently, these scumbag companies shop around and buy old debt, even debt that's been forgiven (written off). The hounding is done to try and get you to admit to owing the debt. The minute you admit that, somehow the law updates it to "current" debt, meaning it's no longer off the books. The minute you agree to pay them a penny, they have you for the whole amount, regardless of what they say up front.

It's a scam and they've been losing in court. You can't deceive someone like that.

Next time they call, hang up.

EDIT: I remembered the last part wrong. They can't collect old debt, even if you acknowledge it, if they are deceptive about your legal responsibilities.

See www.in.gov/dfi/collectoldebts.pdf

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Ah, here's the story I read... Dealing With Old Debt.

The important thing to note is in that little box in the middle of the page:

What a debt collector cannot do:

• Call before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.

• Talk to anyone but you (or your attorney, if you have one) about the debt.

• Threaten to garnish wages or seize property unless they actually intend to do so. Garnishment is illegal in some states, and in others requires a court order. In many cases, property seizure is not permitted. Check with your state attorney general's office or state consumer protection office to find out what is legal in your state.

• Threaten to sue unless they are actually taking legal action. In some states, third-party collection agencies may not sue.

• Threaten you with arrest or jail.

• Use obscene language.

• Annoy or harass you with repeated calls.

• Call at work if you have asked them to stop.

• Falsely claim to be an attorney, a representative from a credit bureau or a member of law enforcement.

It sounds like these guys are in violation of a lot of these.

Many years ago, one of these sleazebags called me and threatened to hold a pubic sale of my property in my apartment. "Wonderful!, I said. "I've never had that happen to me. Should I serve refreshments? Would it help if I attached price tags? Please tell me what to di—this is just so exciting!"

I never heard from them again.

Last year I had a series of harassing phone calls from a "law firm" trying to collect money for bills incurred by someone else. They even claimed I was responsible because my address was used by the other person. After I got really tired of this crap I told the f...er I knew his game and told him to go away and he did. It did end a friendship.

We've been getting "Brady and Caruso"- a bogus firm who tries to scare you into making payments for bogus old debt. They're bullies. If you get someone wanting you to call 888-889-7770- then it's BS.

Shawn- forget them- they tried the same thing with us.

Google "Brady and Caruso" and "888-889-7770"- you see.