Latest Japanese Re-issues from Hiroshi

Head Man

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's that Handy 'No Coast Jazz'?

It's the second of three albums he did for Roulette in the late 50's/early 60's and is very good. I love his sound and it's already distinctive, even at this early stage of his career(1960). He's playing with an excellent quartet consisting of Don Friedman (piano), Bill Lee (bass) and Lex Humphries (drums).

I seem to recall a discussion here some time ago about the possibility of Mosaic issuing a Select set of his Roulette recordings. Was that just wishful thinking?

True. I think that next time around, Bentsy might want to include the prices that Hiroshi has listed.

Agreed.

Can't find that Stitt title......was it released under another name?

The Saxophones of Sonny Stitt is included in the Stitt Mosaic set. It was originally released under the same title, on Roost LP 2230. The album was recorded in NYC on April 2, 1958, with Jimmy Jones (piano) and Charli[e] Persip (drums); the bassist is unknown.

This is actually a Jim Hall date:

TOCJ 50139 Modest Jazz Trio - Good Friday Blues

It was recorded by Pacific Jazz on April 2, 1960, with Hall, Red Mitchell and Red Kelly. I have the 1992 Japanese CD release (TOCJ-5424), which I bought from a forum member. Recommended to those who like Hall's Pacific Jazz date Jazz Guitar.

Prices are in Japanese yen.

April 3, 2011

RBCP 2526 Aoki,Karen(vo)/Voyage 2625

April 4, 2011

TOCP 70985 Jones,Norah(vo,p)/Here We Go Again(Celebrating The Genius Of Ray Charles) 2300

April 6,2011

AVCW 12822 V.A./Disney Jazz Vol.1(Everyone Wants To Be A Cat) 2400

PCD 93399 Liberators,The/The Liberators 2415

UCCM 1195 Conte,Nicola(vo)/Love & Revolution 2 200

UCCM 1196 Lage,Julian(g)/Gladwell 2500

YZSO 10017 Humair,Daniel(ds)/Open Architecture 2200

DDCJ 4003 Hjorth,Magnus(p)/Gershwin. 2625

April 13, 2011

EDCE 1009 Kimura,Atsuki(vo)/Kimura Sings Vol.2(Daylight In Harlem) 3000

April 20, 2011

RKCJ 2046 Asakawa,Taihei(p)/Catastrophe In Jazz 2500

UCCT 1228 Dimeola,Al(g)/Pursuit Of Radical Rhapsody 2500

UCCT 1229 Grusin,Dave(leader)/Evening With Dave Grusin 2500

VACM 1428 Eastwood,Kyle(b)/Title Undecided 2625

WNCJ 2218 Kamimura,Shin(b)/Transience 2800

WNCS 5124 Nanbu,Nobuko(vo)/Colors Of My Life 2800

WNCS 5125 Quatro Colegas/Gran'pascal 2800

WNCS 5126 Maritess(vo)/The Sweetness Of Love 2800

UCCU 1318 Jones,Quincy(leader)/Q Soul Bossa Nostra +2 2500

UCCU 5547(SHM CD) Jones,Quincy(leader)/Walking In Space 1800

UCCU 5548(SHM CD) Jones,Quincy(leader)/Gura Matari 1800

UCCU 5549(SHM CD) Jones,Quincy(leader)/Smackwater Jack 1800

UCCU 5550(SHM CD) Jones,Quincy(leader)/You've Got It Bad Girl 1800

UCCU 5551(SHM CD) Jones,Quincy(leader)/Body Heat 1800

UCCU 5552(SHM CD) Jones,Quincy(leader)/Mellow Madness 1800

UCCU 5553(SHM CD) Jones,Quincy(leader)/Sounds And Stuff Like That 1800

MYCJ 30585 Koketsu,Ayumi(as)/Daybreak 3000

MYCJ 30586 Bosso,Fabrizio(tp)/Title Undecided 2500

FNCJ 5606 Vaughan,Sarah(vo)/Live In Amsterdam 1958 1800

FNCJ 5607 Baker,Chet(tp)/The Complete Concert In Holland 1955 1800

FNCJ 5608 Mulligan,Gerry(bs)/The Sextet Live In Amsterdam 1956 1800

FNCJ 5609 Johnson,J.J.(tb)/The Quintet Live In Amsterdam 1957 1800

FNCJ 5545 Khan,Steve(g)/Parting Shot 2500

VHCD 01052 Simone,Kopmajer(vo)/Come Dance With Me 2800

XQAM 1519(HQ CD) Raney,Sue(vo)/Listen Here +1* 2800

PCCA 03400 Parachute/Golden Best 2000

PCCA 03401 Matsubara,Masaki(g)/Golden Best 2000

PCCA 03402 Toriyama,Yuji(g)/Golden Best 2000

NBCD 008 Veronika,Harcsa(vo)/Lampafeny 2500

RES 182 Biseo Sanjust Quartet/Napoli Jazz Sound 2500

PBCM 61043 Lisa(vo)/Just A Feeling 2520

FNCJ 5606 Vaughan,Sarah(vo)/Live In Amsterdam 1958 1800

Will be looking forward to listen to these!

Yes, looks good. I'm assuming that none of this Baker/Mulligan/JJ material has appeared before in any of the Proper sets ...... or various Mosaic big box/selects? Just checking.

Yes, looks good. I'm assuming that none of this Baker/Mulligan/JJ material has appeared before in any of the Proper sets ...... or various Mosaic big box/selects? Just checking.

I think these were issued by Muziek Centrum Nederland in 2007-2009.

http://www.muziekcentrumnederland.nl/nl/muziek-informatie-centrum/nieuws/artikel/artikel/931/

http://www.muziekcentrumnederland.nl/muziek-informatie-centrum/nieuws/artikel/artikel/3014/

However, they are 18 Euro each if you order from the source, so it may actually be cheaper to get them from Hiroshi.

I think these were issued by Muziek Centrum Nederland in 2007-2009.

http://www.muziekcentrumnederland.nl/nl/muziek-informatie-centrum/nieuws/artikel/artikel/931/

http://www.muziekcentrumnederland.nl/muziek-informatie-centrum/nieuws/artikel/artikel/3014/

However, they are 18 Euro each if you order from the source, so it may actually be cheaper to get them from Hiroshi.

Thanks Daniel!

I did not realize the Mulligan Amsterdam date was the Concertgebouw one.

But I did not know about the JJ Johnson Councertgebouw album.

More money to spend :o

So these are Dutch releases but the cheapest way is to buy from Japan?

That's truly feghed up... but it's the same with Swiss labels... I buy there releases anywhere but locally.

All four of them look tasty!

I've never yet ordered from Hiroshi... what's the deal there? Just dropping him an email?

How about shipping? Will that be added to these prices here, or is it included already?

And where do you get these listings from? Will I get them once I'm on his mailing list?

So these are Dutch releases but the cheapest way is to buy from Japan?

That's truly feghed up... but it's the same with Swiss labels... I buy there releases anywhere but locally.

All four of them look tasty!

I've never yet ordered from Hiroshi... what's the deal there? Just dropping him an email?

How about shipping? Will that be added to these prices here, or is it included already?

And where do you get these listings from? Will I get them once I'm on his mailing list?

Yes, just drop him a line and no, the prices do not include shipping - that wouldn't be practical, since shipping charges are different to different parts of the world and subject to change. Hiroshi sends out these listings to everyone on his mailing list.

As well every other post I've seen here on the subject, I've got nothing but praise for Hiroshi. Shipping rates are very reasonable. I ordered 7 CDs in December; the charges were 1580 Yen, 13-14 EUR.

There's some interesting stuff in the "999 Yen batch" (posted by Bentsy here). For those who missed the Clare Fischer Mosaic Select (myself included) here's a chance to get his two first Pacific Jazz albums:

TOCJ 50134 Fischer,Clare(p)/First Time Out

TOCJ 50135 Fischer,Clare(p)/Surging Ahead

'Barefoot Adventure' is a nice one with Bud Shank, Bob Cooper and Carmell Jones:

TOCJ 50141 Shank,Bud(as)/Barefoot Adventure

This is lightweight, but has splendid woodwind arrangements by Clare Fischer:

TOCJ 50111 Shearing,George(p)/Bossa Nova

There's some interesting stuff in the "999 Yen batch" (posted by Bentsy here). For those who missed the Clare Fischer Mosaic Select (myself included) here's a chance to get his two first Pacific Jazz albums:

I hadn't realised the Clare Fischer Select had gone, it's one of my favourites. Still, I'm surprised that it has sold out when some of the other (more popular?) sets are still around. Was it a 5000 copy set?

I hadn't realised the Clare Fischer Select had gone, it's one of my favourites. Still, I'm surprised that it has sold out when some of the other (more popular?) sets are still around. Was it a 5000 copy set?

There never was a Clare Fischer Select. You are both probably referring to The Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Select with sessions under the leadership of Russ Freeman, Richard Twardzik, Jimmy Rowles and (indeed) Clare Fischer. Most of Fischer's recordings for PJ were originally released on 2 albums, 3 songs remained unissued; his complete PJ output can be found on the Select.

I'm still waiting for someone to "reissue" the Sandy Mosse & Cy Touff Argo albums.

Maybe soneday. :shrug[1]:

The Argo album Relaxin' with Sandy Mosse was reissued on CD in Japan in 1999. It's long OOP.

Yep - I tried with Hiroshi a while back but was unsuccessful.

That's why I used quotation marks around reissue.

There never was a Clare Fischer Select. You are both probably referring to The Pacific Jazz Piano Trios Select with sessions under the leadership of Russ Freeman, Richard Twardzik, Jimmy Rowles and (indeed) Clare Fischer. Most of Fischer's recordings for PJ were originally released on 2 albums, 3 songs remained unissued; his complete PJ output can be found on the Select.

I was a bit careless; it was indeed the "Piano Trios" Select I was referring to. To clarify, perhaps we should say that it's Clare Fischer's trio albums on Pacific Jazz that are on the Mosaic Select. There are also the albums "Extension" and "Manteca" for larger band.

I think that set was one of a few which were prematurely discontinued due to some error at the pressing plant; they mistakenly distroyed the masters, or something to that effect.

I was a bit careless; it was indeed the "Piano Trios" Select I was referring to. To clarify, perhaps we should say that it's Clare Fischer's trio albums on Pacific Jazz that are on the Mosaic Select. There are also the albums "Extension" and "Manteca" for larger band.

Yes, I did indeed mean his PJ trio albums, but didn't specify because I was referring to the PJ Piano Trios Select :)

I think that set was one of a few which were prematurely discontinued due to some error at the pressing plant; they mistakenly distroyed the masters, or something to that effect.

Yep, it was one of the victims.