Rare Blue Notes

BFS

Which brings up one of my biggest RVG gripes. Major pieces left off the RVG Jimmy Smith CD's which have the 'Sermon'/'HouseParty' sessions, which showed up on the original CD's of those sessions. What's up there?

Don't even think of blaming Cuscuna or Blue Note for this. They went back to "LP order" after a few people complained about the shuffled order of the CDs. I think it was stupid and so does Michael, but Blue Note capitulated to a few vocal complainers. It was a small number of complaints, but it was enough that they listened. There's a thread around here somewhere where we debated it. A few of the more vocal complainers contributed their thoughts to that thread.

I think that the issue here wasn't so much the order of the tracks so much as the fact that they excluded tracks that had been released when there was plenty of room on the RVGs to include them. I think that there is some logic to retaining the original LP orderings (after all a concious decision was made at the time to release them in this form) but not to exclude related tracks where they have been released before.

Not that I think any of us are really in a position to "blame" Cuscuna for anything.

Exactly. I think there's 30-40 minutes of great material MIA on the Sermon/Houseparty RVG's which are on the original CD's. The Mobley's included everything from the relevant sessions on both the original CD's and the RVG's.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawrance Marable's Tenorman I only ever saw once - when I picked it up in Dan's sale. I then promptly lost/misplaced it. :rolleyes:

That was the Holy Grail for many years, wasn't it? How about those Leo Parker TOCJs? They're pretty rare...or so I thought?

One's on eBay.

There was only one Leo Parker TOCJ. "Rolling With Leo" was only issued on CD in the US. Those two US CDs by Leo Parker are hard to find even today. I almost included "Let Me Tell You 'Bout It" in my list of rarities above, but since it's reissue as an RVG, it's been in several used bins around here. No "Rolling With Leo" discs though.

I've got both Rollin' With Leo (4095) and Let Me Tell You About It (4087) on TOCJ from Japan.

I've got both Rollin' With Leo (4095) and Let Me Tell You About It (4087) on TOCJ from Japan.

Huh. I guess I was wrong. Weird how the Japanese reissued it as TOCJ-4095 when it was never issued as BST-4095 originally. It was first issued in the 80's as a DMM LP. They're usually sticklers for originality, right down to the correct catalog number.

Wayne Shorter - Moto Grosso Feio

Wayne Shorter - Odyssey of Iska

Not that rare.

Moto Grosso Feio is available used for $10:

http://www.amazon.com/Moto-Grosso-Feio-Way.../dp/B001E4VXJ8/

Odyssey Of Iska has been reissued in the Amazon CD-R series:

http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Iska-Wayne-S.../dp/B000008C8J/

Both Motos offered there are the LP, not the CD. And as for the CD-R "reissue", it's not really the same thing, is it?

Which brings up one of my biggest RVG gripes. Major pieces left off the RVG Jimmy Smith CD's which have the 'Sermon'/'HouseParty' sessions, which showed up on the original CD's of those sessions. What's up there?

Don't even think of blaming Cuscuna or Blue Note for this. They went back to "LP order" after a few people complained about the shuffled order of the CDs. I think it was stupid and so does Michael, but Blue Note capitulated to a few vocal complainers. It was a small number of complaints, but it was enough that they listened. There's a thread around here somewhere where we debated it. A few of the more vocal complainers contributed their thoughts to that thread.

Why are you defending this behaviour on their behalf? The RVG of The Sermon isn't a

faithful reproduction of the original LP (it has an arbitrarily chosen bonus track) but it

doesn't make good use of the CD space either. It's just a half-assed release that doesn't

really please anybody. And either way they could and should have at least issued all

those earlier bonus tracks on a separate disc. They didn't bother even years after the RVGs.

I ended up buying both albums twice to get all the material, not exactly my favorite episode. <_<

Edited by Kyo

Wayne Shorter - Moto Grosso Feio

Wayne Shorter - Odyssey of Iska

Not that rare.

Moto Grosso Feio is available used for $10:

http://www.amazon.com/Moto-Grosso-Feio-Way.../dp/B001E4VXJ8/

Odyssey Of Iska has been reissued in the Amazon CD-R series:

http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Iska-Wayne-S.../dp/B000008C8J/

Both Motos offered there are the LP, not the CD. And as for the CD-R "reissue", it's not really the same thing, is it?

Yeah, the One Way Records edition cd reissue of Moto is pretty hard to find.

The Japanese 'Procrastinator' and 'The Rajah' are both pretty rare I think.

well, "the rajah" can't be that rare. even i have a copy of this cd, and i don't own any really rare stuff. :P

by the way: great album! i only wish it would have some real blue note cover art. that cover looks soo 1980s <_<

Why are you defending this behaviour on their behalf?

I was not in favor of these new reissues that went back to "LP order". The original CDs, issued in session order, sounded better to me and offered better value.

As a Blue Note customer, you should complain about it to them. The complainers are who got it changed to "LP order" in the first place. From what I was told, these people also wanted NO bonus tracks either. Just what was on the LP - nothing more.

The reason "Motto Grosso Feio" is so scarce is that One Way Records wasn't supposed to even get that license. As I understand it, someone at Blue Note screwed up. Once their initial license ran out, Blue Note realized the mistake and wouldn't give them an extension. To make matters worse, Blue Note didn't see a market to reissue it themselves.

FWIW, it's not may favorite Shorter date for Blue Note so I can understand why they haven't made it a priority reissue. I doubt it would fly off the shelves. Hell, when it was in print at One Way, it didn't sell well. If it did, One Way Records might still be in business.

• 4 months later...

Yeah, and I still think Michael Cuscuna goofed up when he didn't put those two extra tracks onto the Connoisseur CD of the 45 Sessions. I forget his exact reasoning, but I doubt those tracks will ever see the light of day on CD again.

Kevin,

..speaking of seeing the light of day..... any reason you can think of why 'Tippin' The Scales' hasn't bounced back into print?

Kevin,

..speaking of seeing the light of day..... any reason you can think of why 'Tippin' The Scales' hasn't bounced back into print?

To me, it's the weakest set McLean did in his entire run at Blue Note. Shockingly conservative and not too inspired to my ears. But almost all things Blue Note seem to eventually come back around.

Edited by felser

In this vein (and speaking of non-BN BN CDs), Kenton's City of Glass has been fully discontinued on Amazon and is already listing at $27 used.

BTW, last year's deletions are dropping like flies in this same manner so don't delay.

Edited by colinmce

Kevin,

To me, it's the weakest set McLean did in his entire run at Blue Note. Shockingly conservative and not too inspired to my ears. But almost all things Blue Note seem to eventually come back around.

Hey, you could be right. Then again, Butch Warren is da bomb on the title track, which is all I care about.

Several that have been hard for me to find include:

Curtis Fuller Vol. 3

Hank Mobley Quartet

Hank

Finally picked up one of these. I am sure that when I finally acquire the other two for unreasonable amounts Blue Note will announce them as the upcoming RVG releases. At least that is how it usually works! :wacko: