Rare Blue Notes

BFS

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Lawrance Marable's Tenorman I only ever saw once - when I picked it up in Dan's sale. I then promptly lost/misplaced it. :rolleyes:

I just happened to order this used off Amazon. Looks like the 1989 CD, which is by far and away the most affordable option.

Got that a few years back in the TOCJ format.

Also purchased the old Straight No Chaser off of ebay. Man, that cost a pretty penny.

If you want to talk about specific discs, and not material -- then the TOCJ of Lee Morgan's "The Procrastinator" is kinda hard to find, as I recall.

It had an extra session on it as well, which has since been issued here in the U.S. as bonus material on the "Sonic Boom" reissue (and is easily available now). But for a good while there, though, that Japanese "Procrastinator" CD was the only way to get that extra session anywhere in the world on CD.

I didn't know that they put the extra material from "The Procrastinator" on "Sonic Boom"! I still have the Japanese CD of "Sonic Boom." Now I'll have to find the US reissue (grumble, grumble)....

If you want to talk about specific discs, and not material -- then the TOCJ of Lee Morgan's "The Procrastinator" is kinda hard to find, as I recall.

It had an extra session on it as well, which has since been issued here in the U.S. as bonus material on the "Sonic Boom" reissue (and is easily available now). But for a good while there, though, that Japanese "Procrastinator" CD was the only way to get that extra session anywhere in the world on CD.

I didn't know that they put the extra material from "The Procrastinator" on "Sonic Boom"! I still have the Japanese CD of "Sonic Boom." Now I'll have to find the US reissue (grumble, grumble)....

And that extra material is really, REEEEALLY good.....probably some of the best stuff Morgan ever did.

(Just kidding.) :)

That one looks good. Great lineup.....Never even heard of that one!

It is quite good, but all the material is available on the domestic Jackie McLean release, Jackie's Bag, so there's no need to search for the Japanese release.

http://www.amazon.com/Jackies-Bag-Jackie-M...6193&sr=1-1

The RVG of Blue's Boss Horn is getting pricey too. Who would've thought that the US RVG series would be demanding collector's prices!

Get used to it. It's probable that these will be the last official CD issues of these albums ever.

I am a bit skeptical of these types of predictions. Always,never and ever are a very long time! :)

Suffice it to say it may be a while before we see these again. I have paid some handsome prices for those "rare issues" never to be seen again......never that is until they showed up as RVG's. :rofl: Blue Note is pretty good at what they do and that certainly includes marketing.

The RVG of Blue's Boss Horn is getting pricey too. Who would've thought that the US RVG series would be demanding collector's prices!

Get used to it. It's probable that these will be the last official CD issues of these albums ever.

I am a bit skeptical of these types of predictions. Always,never and ever are a very long time! :)

Suffice it to say it may be a while before we see these again. I have paid some handsome prices for those "rare issues" never to be seen again......never that is until they showed up as RVG's. :rofl: Blue Note is pretty good at what they do and that certainly includes marketing.

I second those thoughts; indeed looking at the above Avatar for "Lee Morgan Sextet" reminds me of when I ordered that and "Lee Morgan V. 3" through a Japanese bookstore (to order from Japan) about 15 years ago (pre-internet for me). I would get the Blue Note TOCJ's at Tower on Sunset when the 4000 series works appeared. Of course, nearly all of them were reissued in the US, even if it took a number of years. Now, whether one will ever see the Bethlehem Works series of 100 CD's ever reissued (other than gray market) is a different question. But Blue Note has such an appeal that I do not think those titles will stay dead.