Rare Blue Notes

BFS

TURANDOT

The Bob Belden Ensemble is an inventive jazz treatment of the Puccini opera Turnandot. This ensemble includes Wallace Roney, Tim Hagans, Joe Lovano, Dave Liebman and Tony Williams among others.

When the music publishers of the original opera found out, they withdrew permission to use Puccini’s music, just before the CD was issued. It was briefly released in Japan where copyright laws are different. But about 50 copies of the US/European version leaked out. This one is verrrry difficult to get your hands on.

POPPIN'

Hank Mobley Japan TOCJ. Features Pepper and is a great recording. This one can be found and is worth the effort!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TURANDOT

The Bob Belden Ensemble is an inventive jazz treatment of the Puccini opera Turnandot. This ensemble includes Wallace Roney, Tim Hagans, Joe Lovano, Dave Liebman and Tony Williams among others.

When the music publishers of the original opera found out, they withdrew permission to use Puccini’s music, just before the CD was issued. It was briefly released in Japan where copyright laws are different. But about 50 copies of the US/European version leaked out. This one is verrrry difficult to get your hands on.

POPPIN'

Hank Mobley Japan TOCJ. Features Pepper and is a great recording. This one can be found and is worth the effort!

I have the Japanese issue of Turandot.

Great stuff.

Cheshire Cat by Ronnie Foster (TOCJ-6292). I'd order it when it was released together with the rest of the same series but it never came. Later I tried to get it through eBay but it was never offered. Finally some years ago I found a copy. This must have been pressed only a few hundred times.

Assuming we're talking about the actual CD itself and not the music on it...

James Newton - Romance And Revolution

Leo Parker - Rolling With Leo (non-RVG)

Jimmy Smith - Cool Blues (non-RVG)

Hank Mobley - Straight No Filter (non-Connoisseur)

Hank Mobley - Quartet (Complete) (non-RVG, Japanese-only issue)

Andrew Hill - But Not Farewell

Jerry Bergonzi - Standard Gonz

Not "Blue Note", but titles issued in Japan on their Something Else sister label which usually showed up in the US on Blue Note. These never made it:

Renee Rosnes - Face To Face

Joe Lovano - Tenor Time

I agree that Belden's "Turandot" is impossible to find. I got my copy from one of the musicians who played on it.

Not "Blue Note", but titles issued in Japan on their Something Else sister label which usually showed up in the US on Blue Note. These never made it:

Renee Rosnes - Face To Face

Joe Lovano - Tenor Time

Wouldn't Benny Green's Blue Notes also qualify? I remember reading in DB that Green was going to record a set of Blue Note associated tunes and thinking that would be one to get, but only many years later did I stumble across a copy at a Borders in VA, the only copy I've ever seen. And I'm certain it never came out stateside on BN.

Wouldn't Benny Green's Blue Notes also qualify? I remember reading in DB that Green was going to record a set of Blue Note associated tunes and thinking that would be one to get, but only many years later did I stumble across a copy at a Borders in VA, the only copy I've ever seen. And I'm certain it never came out stateside on BN.

Well, I've never heard of it and I've heard of many. I'd have to say it's pretty rare.

Ike Quebec, "From Hackensack to Englewood Cliffs"

TOCJ 66083 Two sessions from July 1959.

Oh yeah, this is definitely a rare one. So are the other two or three that came out at the same time. John Hardy's "Tired" and the one or two Ike Quebec titles. I've only been able to get an original of "Tired". I gave up on the others. Last one I saw on eBay went for over $50. Too rich for my pocket.

Besides Bob Belden's "Turandot" there is "Prince Jazz" by Bob Belden's Manhattan Rhythm Club; recorded just after "Turandot" in 1993. With many players, playing jazzy Prince songs, including Wallace Roney, Kenny Garrett, Mike Stern, Tim Hagans, Marc Copland, Joey Calderazzo, Kevin Hays, Larry Goldings, Jacky Terrason, Billy Kilson...TOCJ-5565--Good Record!!! Not to be confused w/ a Belden's " Prince" US release(much less jazzy)!

Wasn't one of the sessions on the Ike Quebec, "From Hackensack to Englewood Cliffs" (which I have) issued on some domestic cd?

Hmmm...looking at the cds, I don't think so...

Perhaps I'm thinking of "Congo Lament"...

The first 8 tracks on the disc were released on the 45 Sessions Mosaic & Blue Note reissue. Leaving only Cry Me A River and Uptight as the orphaned tracks.