***Home Plate***

The baseball season started yesterday with the Angeles losing right out of the gate. Just do not see this team getting to the playoffs this years. Dodgers, of course, look good in a division where the Giants and Arizona took a step back. And, hope against hope, this will be the year the the RedSox FINALLY get over on the Yankees.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you, Matthew. The Sox won 93 games last year and have clearly improved their weaknesses-the bullpen, the bench, and having Tim Wakefield as a starter throughout the season. Meanwhile, the Yanks are getting older, their new imported stars have to deal with New York, and they sent their best middle relievers out the door without a second thought (Mendoza and Stanton). I read in today's newspaper that no one boos in Japan. Well, I guarantee that Matsui is going to hear some boos in New York, just like Giambi did when he started the season poorly.

The Evil Empire will have their hands full. You can bank on that.

(I just love Opening Day-you can talk trash all you want because there's nothing but possibilities in the air)

Edited by Dan Gould

The "new look" Giants won, but did not look very convincing (marginal defense, lots of LOBs).

That Derek Jeter injury could be huge. I hate the Yanks, but you still hate to see something like that happen. Hopefully it's not that bad of a dislocation. If there are torn ligaments involved, he could be seeing very limited action this year. Geez, what an opening day for him.

Oh yeah, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine (who I think is over the hill) all got rocked and nearly every home team lost in the early games. It's just a wierd opening day all around.

The Dodgers did have a good opening day(forever Dodger blue!!!).I was reading Bill Mazeroski's baseball magazine and he picked LA first in the west-we shall see!!!

A team that might surprise in the NL central are the Pirates.Will they win the division? Doubtful but they might have a bigger say in who does.

WCBS charges for coverage of the Yankees; given my sporadic ability to listen, I'm not ready to pony up even a $12.95 fee for the regular season. 

Ghost, if there are not too much electronic gizmos at your workplace, a really good am radio (Like a Sangean radio?) will pick up many far away stations, we can get most of the NY stations here in the ATL.....

Where we always drop it like its hot... :rsmile:

Braves will not win 90 games this year, by the by

Edited by BERIGAN

HA! After routing the Padres, the Giants now have sole possession of the top spot in the NL West. This year's supposed "small-ball" team has 7 HR in the first two games!

BTW, ghost, you can get video of the games online from MLB and turn the volume down. You ought to be able to get away with that at work.

Welcome to the Astros, Mr. Kent! HR in his first AB - nice way to start off the season. Actually, all the guys on the team named "Jeff" (or Geoff) hit HRs in their season opener - Bagwell had two, and Blum had another.

In that dimebox formerly known as Enron Field, the 'Stros could have a lineup that challenges the team HR record for a season, whatever that is.

Dammit, if I'da posted before Monday's game, I coulda enjoyed that fleeting moment when the Rangers were above .500 for the first time since last May. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted (all 24 hours of it)....

Geez, it feels like the early 80's again. Gonna be another looooooooooooooooo-

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooong season....... :(:wacko::(

Much too early to get excited, but if the bullpen holds up until Jason Isringhausen gets back, this might be the year for a Series trip for the Redbirds ...

Just keep Cal Eldred out of any meaningful games! ;)

And the Bravos are 0-4? :g

No, "we" somehow won a game...The smart folks and Time-warner/Aol who have helped steer the team into Kevin Millwood for a 3rd string catcher (back in the Minors) also thought the team of Pete Van Wieren and Skip Carey, who have broadcast games for 28 years on TBS/and or on the radio, were, get this...homers(DUH!) and that they shouldn't be on TBS anymore! Just sports south cable for 30-40 games. I am sure people like me who have watched TBS braves games since I lived in Jacksonville, when they were forever mired in last place, are so glad they have protected us from announcers that root for the home team :rolleyes: (Not that Joe Simpson and Don Sutton don't, but I guess they could be arm-twisted into toning it down, more easily than the "old guys") Gee, where is Time/Warner based out of, anyway? They got Tom Glavine, they should have grabbed Milwood as well, but that might have been too suspicious...but the Braves are much weaker, and seem to be almost without offense (Except for the game last night) so the Mets will only have to worry about Philly-hey, 4 games into the season, tells you a lot! :blink:

Talk about bad Karma! Ken Griffey dislocated his shoulder. Guess it proves you can't go home again. On a serious note, I live in the Seattle area for three years, and watched Griffey a lot at the Kingdom. He was the best player I ever saw during those years, there was nothing he couldn't do on the field, and, when in a streak, his swing was the most beautiful thing this side of Will Clark. It's just sad to see how far he's gone downhill in Cincy.

The treatment of Skip Caray amd Pete Van Wieren stinks, IMHO. I met Pete many years ago, and he was great to an extremely nervous 12-year-old who wanted desperately to get into broadcasting!

I am thankful Ernie Johnson got out before he was told he was too old to announce games -- or was he told that?

As Skip would say, "Hmm, that's odd ..." :g

Who would have guessed that the last two undefeated teams in baseball would be the Royals and Giants? The Giants' three young SPs all looked very shakey in their first starts this week - here's hoping that they settle down.

Oh - I'm pretty sure that the record for consecutive playoff appearances is 11.

The Giants are now 6-0 after sweeping the Brewers. Don't laugh - the Brewers have been an Achilles heel for us for some time. Sort of like how we always beat the Pads and Rockies, yet the Pads and Rockies always seem to give the Dodgers fits, while the Giants and Dodgers usually play about .500 ball against each other. The Brewers just always seem to trip the G-Men up. The early five-game lead on the DBacks will prove useful at the end of the season.

The best part of the game today is that the Giants went with their B lineup, resting four starters including Bonds, Durham and Santiago, three of our key offensive players. Yet they still scored five runs and committed no errors. Reuter delivered six innings of shut-out ball, and Brower (obtained in exchange for Livan Hernandez aka El Few K aka Cheeseburger) mopped up the rest.

On another note:

It's not so hard for me to beleive that Griffey went down again. What does surprise me is that it was his shoulder this time, and not his leg. Don't get me wrong, I feel really bad for the guy, but I have to wonder if perhaps this is the result of a soft conditioning program. I've dislocated my shoulder before (BTW, it hurts like all fucking hell) and learned afterwards that it is normally the result of being in inadequate physical condition for whatever sport you are playing. Basically what happens is the tendons that are supposed to hold your arm bone in the shoulder socket just give way because they are too weak. When you're in recovery (which usually requires physical therapy and sometimes surgery if the tendons become completely detached from the bone) they actually make you lift lots of weights and do other strenous shoulder exercises to build up strength. (It's not fun at all. I'd rather go to the dentist a hundred times than to another one of those PT appointments.) Anyway, the Reds look like they'll be in good shape. They have a ton of young outfield talent, and many of their fans wanted Griff traded to make room for the youngsters in the offseason. I bet they're kicking themselves for not doing it now.

I understand that you've had more experience in this area but your description of how and why people dislocate their shoulders hardly applies to Griffey or for that matter Jeter. I don't think the strength of Griffey's tendons. Anyone who stretches out the way he did and lands the way he did can severely dislocate a shoulder, regardless of the strength of their tendons.

I don't know Dan, when I see a guy acquire major injuries in three consecutive seasons I really have to wonder. As far as Jeter goes, there's few shoulders in the world strong enough to sustain the impact he took (I was injuried in an eerily similar way in high school, although the guy I collided with weighed about 100 lbs less). But Griffey has a real history with multiple parts of his body now. I really wonder if maybe after his very first extended stint on the DL he didn't stay on track with his conditioning, and if maybe that's why he was hurt so severly in the first week last year and again this year. I really do feel bad for the guy, so I really don't want to come across like I'm blaming him. It's really hard keeping up a rigorous conditioning program when you're injured. Yet that's what PTs will always tell you to do if you're going to be involved in athletics. Otherwise you're just looking to get injured again. (Which, BTW, I'll admit is precisely what happened to me - I never fully rebuilt my shoulder strength and it came back to haunt me over ten years later when I decided to get involved in athletics again.)

From everything I have heard, Griffey has been working out very hard the last few years...the clip I saw showed Griffey going all out, leaping into the air, and landing on his right shoulder, his glove arm, on the inside of his shoulder(If that makes sense)and it looked like he rolled the arm under his body in a VERY unnatural way...Sad...I would rather see him have the all time home run record someday, but it won't happen if he keeps missing such huge chunks of seasons

He would have had a real shot at 756, but I think he's out of contention now. It's tough for anyone to hit 284 HR at age 33. Of course, if he gets traded to the Astros or Rockies all bets are off. Someday A-Rod will own the all-time record, however, and I think he'll likely be hanging on to it for a while.

Edited by J Larsen