***Home Plate***

Well, I still say that in a 5-3 game, Pedro made his pitch, it was a high jam job as I recall, and it just went over the infielders heads....5-5 should not mean the game is really over.

If Boston gets rid of Grady, and Chicago gets rid of Dusty(has anyone heard anything about that being a possiblity?) chances are neither team will make it back to the playoffs. The Boss is not going to be so "cheap" next year, especially if the Yankees don't win it all.....

I think the Braves one year will get rid of Bobby Cox, and the next year they will be a .500 team.... Perhaps a designated Manager should be allowed! ;) Tom Lasorda????

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicago will NOT dumb Dusty, and Atlanta will dump shitloads of players to save money.

I think Dusty dumbed Dusty! :rhappy: I guess it is the difference of a team losing 95-96 games one year, nearly playing for the World Series the next, verses a team that is always expected to compete(Boston) Who will Boston get, if Grady is Gone? What have his players said about this? It seemed they really liked him....

Chuck, I bet you are right about the Braves, a team which won 101 games, and made lots of moola, will be taken apart, to save some money for Timewarneraol. IF they keep most of the starters, and go with young kids, I bet Bobby gets them to win 85+ games.....

Well, Pettite made up last night for blowing Game 6 against the Sox, and the Yanks finally began to hit a bit. Now to Florida, where Mussina--who pitched well as a reliever in Game 7 and as a starter in Game 4 of the ALCS--will try for his first postseason win this year. The Yanks will have a hard time beating Beckett, though. I'd still say slight odds in favor of the Marlins, esp. given their taking of Game 1 (NY hadn't lost a World Series game at home since dropping the first two games of the '96 WS to the Braves).

As a secondary Bosox fan, I hope that Grady Little comes back, too. I understand the anger & frustration, but until his bad decision Thursday night, everybody in the baseball world was talking him up as one of the primary reasons that the Sox were there. And I'm more than a little put off by Boston's new owners--are they competing w/Steinbrenner in the obnoxiousness category as well? :rolleyes: Call me a sentimentalist, but I miss Tom Yawkey...

Well, Pettite made up last night for blowing Game 6 against the Sox, and the Yanks finally began to hit a bit. Now to Florida, where Mussina--who pitched well as a reliever in Game 7 and as a starter in Game 4 of the ALCS--will try for his first postseason win this year. The Yanks will have a hard time beating Beckett, though. I'd still say slight odds in favor of the Marlins, esp. given their taking of Game 1 (NY hadn't lost a World Series game at home since dropping the first two games of the '96 WS to the Braves).

As a secondary Bosox fan, I hope that Grady Little comes back, too. I understand the anger & frustration, but until his bad decision Thursday night, everybody in the baseball world was talking him up as one of the primary reasons that the Sox were there. And I'm more than a little put off by Boston's new owners--are they competing w/Steinbrenner in the obnoxiousness category as well? :rolleyes: Call me a sentimentalist, but I miss Tom Yawkey...

Oh yeah, ghost...sure your scared! ;) What, the Yankees have lost the opening game in 9 postseason series, and won 8 of them??? You mention that they haven't lost a World series game at home since 96 against the braves when they lost 2...remind me again who won that series??????? WHOOOOO???? You like shooting fish in a barrel as well, don't ya???? :rmad:^_^

Just my next $0.02 regarding the losing managers in the ALCS & the NLCS. Both Baker & Little do a great job in motivating their players and keeping the whole enterprise going for a long season, but when it comes down to tactics and strategy they both are lacking(That's why Zim is on the Yankee bench- it's not just for good luck!)

It's over dudes, stick the proverbial fork in them because it looks like the Yanks have caught some marlins. Let's get it over asap and get the f***ing parade finished so I don't have to think about these guys or deal with Yankee fans until March.

Edited by Brad

It's over dudes, stick the proverbial fork in them because it looks like the Yanks have caught some marlins. Let's get it over asap and get the f***ing parade finished so I don't have to think about these guys or deal with Yankee fans until March.

And now for my next predictions: Ebay will never succeed as a good idea and Enron stock will take off :g:g

Was it just me or did that umpire have an extremely limited and inconsistent strike zone last night? The low strike was never getting called, seemingly perfect pitches albeit around the knees, while the pitch on the outside corner was sometimes called a strike, other times a ball. What gives? :blink:

Tonight's game is huge for the Marlins, as they can get all the momentum (with a 'W') going back to N.Y. Go Florida!

Not to beat a dead horse, but her's an interesting piece from this week's Village Voice:

BOSTON'S TEASE PARTY

Talk about throwing out the book when it's crunch time. Just so we're all clear on how absolutely mind-boggling Grady Little's decision was to stick with Pedro Martinez during the Yankees' fateful eighth-inning rally in the ALCS's Game Seven, here are a few facts informing his pitcher's 7.1 IP, 123-pitch performance. During the 2003 regular season, Martinez threw 2,838 pitches, an average of 15.2 per inning. He threw more than 105 pitches in only ten of his 29 starts, and he pitched more than seven innings in only five of them. He limited the opposition to a .201 batting average in innings one through six and a .207 BA on his first 105 pitches. However, opponents hit .364 against him after his 105th pitch. Want to know what "secret" source we uncovered these stats from? The team's very own Post-Season Media Guide! Guess "Goober" Grady didn't need no stinking numbers to get in the way of his managerial fiddling while Martinez got burned.

One can only imagine what must have been going through the minds of Mike Timlin, Alan Embree, and Scott Williamson as they watched helplessly from the bullpen during the Martinez Massacre on River Avenue. Coming together as a relief corps only after Byung-Hyun Kim was scratched with a supposedly sore arm (from giving the Fenway faithful the finger after one too many blown saves, no doubt), this unheralded troika nonetheless co-authored quite a guidebook of its own against the Yankees: 13 innings, five hits, one run, two walks (one intentional), and 13 strikeouts. In most everyone's mind—except Little's, obviously—they would have gotten the Sox those five needed outs and a berth in the World Series, but by the time Embree and Timlin got into the game, the tide had irrevocably turned. In the Sox's somber locker room after Aaron Boone's pennant-winning homer off Tim Wakefield, Timlin was asked if the Yankees' winning so many championships while the Red Sox curse continued seemed unfair.

The 37-year-old veteran, who in the first two rounds of the playoffs outpitched all other relievers (a Karim Garcia single was the lone hit he surrendered in nine-plus innings of pressurized work), just shook his head in response. "Fair?" he replied. "The best hitters in this game make outs seven out of ten times. Baseball's never been fair." You can make book on that one. —Billy Altman

Oh yeah, ghost...sure your scared! ;) What, the Yankees have lost the opening game in 9 postseason series, and won 8 of them??? You mention that they haven't lost a World series game at home since 96 against the braves when they lost 2...remind me again who won that series??????? WHOOOOO???? You like shooting fish in a barrel as well, don't ya???? :rmad:^_^

Yeah, right, Berigan, wrap it up and put a nice bow on it, etc.... C'mon, man, you've surely been a baseball fan as long as I have, and as that eminent sage Yogi Berra said, "It ain't over till it's over." Now it's 2-2 and the Marlins have to have a huge boost from winning in such dramatic fashion last night, after nearly throwing the game away. I'm hoping David Wells comes up with the big one tonight, 'cause the Yanks surely need it.

Speaking of Little, he still doesn't get it, and while I don't exactly expect him to be offered the position anyway, he's making noise about not really wanting it anyway:

Little unsure he wants job

Sox manager put off by team's hesitation

By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff, 10/23/2003

MIAMI -- Faced with the increasing likelihood that he will be fired as Red Sox manager, Grady Little said yesterday that he's not sure he wants to manage the Red Sox next season.

"I'm prepared for the likelihood . . . I'm not sure that I want to manage that team," Little said by phone from his home in North Carolina. "That's how I felt when I drove out of town.

"If they don't want me, fine, they don't want me. If they want me to come back, then we'll talk and see if I want to come back up there. That's the way I feel about it."

Little said he hasn't heard a word from Sox brass since returning home. "All I know is when I left there, there was some hesitation. That's all I need to know," he said. "If Grady Little is not there, he'll be somewhere.

"Right now I'm disappointed that evidently some people are judging me on the results of one decision I made -- not the decision, but the results of the decision. Less than 24 hours before, those same people were hugging and kissing me. If that's the way they operate, I'm not sure I want to be part of it."

If Little is fired, that may not play well in a clubhouse in which numerous players expressed their support for the embattled manager after last Thursday's devastating Game 7 loss to the New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series.

"That's not my problem," he said. "Just add one more ghost to the list if I'm not there, because there are ghosts. That's certainly evident when you're a player in that uniform."

Little was on the last year of a two-year deal he signed in March 2002. The Sox won 93 games in his first season, 95 this past season, when they also won the American League wild card, their first playoff appearance since 1999. The team holds one-year options on him for both the 2004 and 2005 seasons, but last March told Little they wanted to wait until the end of this season before deciding whether to exercise those options. Little, unwilling to go through another season of being a lame duck, almost certainly would not be amenable to just having the club exercise his option, which the Sox have until Oct. 31 to do. He wants the security of a multiyear deal. "The reason anyone wants to make changes is they feel that the team should have done better than it did," he said.

Winning the wild card and advancing to the seventh game of what Yankee manager Joe Torre said was the greatest series in which he took part wasn't enough?

"I'm not sure," Little said. "You've got to win the World Series in Boston before it's considered winning."

Little again said if he had to do it over again, he would have left Pedro Martinez in to pitch the eighth inning of Game 7, when the Yankees rallied from a 5-2 deficit to tie the score off Martinez.

"I know that wherever I go, I'll do the best I can," Little said. "I know what we did there. I'm sorry the results of one decision caused so much pain, and it sure helped sell a lot of papers. I feel bad for it. But gol'dang, I can't turn back the clock and make another decision, not knowing whether the results of that decision are good or not."

Speculation has been rampant at the World Series about who the Sox might pursue if Little is let go, as expected. Dodger coach Glenn Hoffman, the former Red Sox shortstop who declined an invitation to interview before Little was hired, is a name that has surfaced here. Hoffman had briefly managed the Dodgers when Tom Lasorda was interim general manager there, and told associates that with the Sox GM situation unsettled at the time, he didn't want to go through that experience again.

"Only time will tell," Little said, when asked how he thought the club would perform under a new man. "But if they think it's going to get better, they'd better watch out. I know how it was when I got there, and I know how it is when I'm leaving."

Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek last weekend said there were a "billion things" that could have caused the Sox clubhouse to fall apart last season, and it was because of Little that it did not do so.

"Most things people don't even know about," Little said. "Everyone knows the final results. We didn't win the World Series, so we lost. I'm only thankful that they're pointing the finger at me, and not at a player, because I can take it. I'm telling you that right now."

Little was asked if Martinez spoke with him after the Game 7 loss. "He came and gave me a big hug and thanked me for the opportunity, just like a lot of other players did," Little said.

Little said, "To tell you the truth, this ain't bothering me like it's bothering a lot of other people. I'll tell you right now, I did the best I could do, and I still think [his handling of Martinez] was right. Baseball people think that -- maybe not Red Sox fans -- but baseball people tell me over and over.

"But in Boston, it's not just this one decision, or just one game. It's like this in May. People are talking about devastating losses, and it's the end of April or first of May. That's serious stuff. You don't play 162 games. You play 162 seasons a year. Every game is a season. That's why this doesn't affect me like it does a lot of people."

Because Major League Baseball doesn't want the World Series upstaged, any announcement regarding Little's status probably won't come until after the Series.

"If Grady Little is not back with the Red Sox, he'll be somewhere," Little said. "I'll be another ghost, fully capable of haunting."