***Home Plate***

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But man oh man, that last inning! Reminded me of a favorite saying my brothers & I had from an NFL highlights film when we were kids--showed a white-haired coach stalking up and down the sidelines, scowling and muttering to his assistant, "They're killin' me, Whitey, they're killin' me!"

What is it with Oakland and 2-0 leads in the playoffs? :blink::wacko:

Well, it sure ain't been a great week for Bay Area baseball fans... :angry::(:wacko:

On the other hand, I can now be a little less dispassionate in rooting for a Cubs-Bosox series - which will no doubt be known as the "Cinderella Series" :lol:

PS - "weak" was the Freudian slip of the "week" - corrected now! :winky:

Edited by DrJ

And what of the Giants? A team that leads from wire to wire and can't advance past the wild card team in the first round? Damn, this HAD to have been their year, but yet...

Not that Alou had anything to do with their losing (rather their pitching let them down to some degree and their defense, almost airtight all year, became shoddy all of a sudden at the end), but...I bet Dusty Baker is gloating.

But man oh man, that last inning! Reminded me of a favorite saying my brothers & I had from an NFL highlights film when we were kids--showed a white-haired coach stalking up and down the sidelines, scowling and muttering to his assistant, "They're killin' me, Whitey, they're killin' me!"

I wish I could give credit where credit is due, but someone at the Boston Globe once wrote of the Red Sox, "They killed my father and now they're coming after me." :ph34r:

That was the most frightening baseball collision I've ever seen. Its tough enough to beat the Yanks, it will be extra tough though without Damon. Could anyone believe that the other guy, Jackson, stayed in the game? Coming off the field he looked like a punch-drunk fighter, two guys along side him, and yet there he was batting in the next inning.

And what of the Giants? A team that leads from wire to wire and can't advance past the wild card team in the first round? Damn, this HAD to have been their year, but yet...

Not that Alou had anything to do with their losing (rather their pitching let them down to some degree and their defense, almost airtight all year, became shoddy all of a sudden at the end), but...I bet Dusty Baker is gloating.

That was the worst I've ever seen the Giants play over 5 games this year other than that East Coast road trip around the time of the Backout. and I've followed them the entire year.

Possibly contrary to the national media, pitching & defense were actually their biggest strengths, Bonds was not the entire team, as they were second only to the dodgers in ERA and second only to the Marlins in errors commited in the NL.

Hitting with runners in scoring position had always been a liability (especially the first half of the season), but they were much better at the end of the regular season scoring runs. Alfonso was just continuing his hot bat from the second half of the season, he was horrible at the plate the first half. And they had an amazing record in one run games.

But they set a record in game 3 for most runners left on base, too many hitters went cold, and they commited way too many costly errors over the series (Cruz should actually be Gold Glove contender but he was a nightmare this series), and their pitching was inconsistant over the series compared to the rest of the season.

Pudge and Beckett were the real deal during this series though.

Edited by Gigolo

Now that the Sox have a date with the Yanks Wednesday night, I've got a decision to make:

About two months ago, I purchased tickets to see Kevin Mahogany for tomorrow night. In fact, I got tickets for me and the wife, and it turned out that she's had to work that night so I've already lost the money on her ticket. I'd definitely say I am leaning toward baseball, partially because Mahogany's still a young guy, its not like I'd be blowing off an aging legend who might not come back around again.

Hey Chuck, your dream survived the first round of the play-offs. What will you actually do if the Sox and Cubs actually make it through?

Sox vs. Cubs in the World Series would be the best. Then, whoever wins it would be great! Still can't believe the Red Sox won yesterday....the Oakland A's have become the Sox of playoffs. (When your bad luck trumps the Sox' Curse of the Bambino, you've got some serious ju-ju going on!)

Looks like Wrigleyville is THE hang!

I used to live two blocks from Wrigley field. I could walk outside and hear Harry over the PA singing at the 7th inning stretch. Felt like I was really in Chicago. Went to many parties on top of the buildings across the street. A couple times saw Bill Murray hanging at Murphy's (also Jim Belushi). I have vivid memories of my first Cubs game. It was such an incredible rush, walking inside the park for the first time. The lights got put up just after I moved there. It would be so great to see Wrigley as part of the World Series.

Of course, after the games the wasted fans often horked in my yard. Very nice. Good Mexican restaurant on Clark Street- actually I think that's where these guys ate before they came by. <_<

Man, I miss Chicago. :rcry

Edited by Free For All

I'm assuming that Boston's second baseman Todd Walker, being a baseball player, has been a fan as well for some time. Why, then, would he say something like this?

``The team that wins this wins the World Series. We're the two best teams in baseball,'' Walker said (he's referring to the Yanks-Bosox ALCS.  ``No disrespect to the Cubs and the Marlins, but we're the best two teams.''

Uh--how many times, in any sport, have you seen statements like this come back to bite the speaker right on the jock? ^_^

(See, not all of us Yankee fans are arrogant... 1982-94 was enough to put a little humility into anybody.)