***Home Plate***

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming that Boston's second baseman Todd Walker, being a baseball player, has been a fan as well for some time. Why, then, would he say something like this?

``The team that wins this wins the World Series. We're the two best teams in baseball,'' Walker said (he's referring to the Yanks-Bosox ALCS.  ``No disrespect to the Cubs and the Marlins, but we're the best two teams.''

Uh--how many times, in any sport, have you seen statements like this come back to bite the speaker right on the jock? ^_^

(See, not all of us Yankee fans are arrogant... 1982-94 was enough to put a little humility into anybody.)

Didn't hear that Ghost! :o Javy Lopez said something stupid like that just before their series, something about how the Braves had been in place all year, while the Cubbies added players all year long...

I think the Red Sox REALLY need to win tonight, they just don't have the starting pitching the Yankees have, and if there is a split going back to New York, it just won't be the least bit easy....if it goes six or 7 games, anyone going to bet against the Yanks????

F***ing Yankees is all I have to say. Sox better come back to Yankee Stadium up 3-2 or there's just no way they'll win. To live in the NY metro area and not to be a Yankee fan is no fun. The arrogance of the Yankee fan. They're all typical bullies. The really arrogant ones are nowhere to be found after a Yankee loss. They are the Evil Empire.

Well, I have a lot of respect for Don "Jabba" Zimmer's many years in baseball. (Although I don't know if I'd want to be a reporter who has to see him naked in the locker room during post-game interviews.)

But he deserved what Pedro just dished out to him.

Edited by Big Wheel

Abso-f-ing lutely. When a seventy two year old man gets in the middle of things, goes straight at the pitcher and swings his left arm ... jeezus. And I can just see how the New York press will treat this.

FUCKING CHRIST MILLAR JUST FLIED OUT.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

I think you could at least make a case that the beaning of Garcia was accidental, even though the timing was suspicious. Yes, Pedro usually has great control, but something was clearly wrong with his stuff in the first four innings. Even Fox's commentators noted that after Jeter's home run--the curveball was just not breaking very well at all. Maybe he was trying to gain an edge by scaring the Yankee lineup, maybe it was just a wild pitch. In any case, I was surprised to see Torre claiming after the game that the ball hit Garcia in the head, when it looked pretty obvious from replays that the ball struck him on the shoulder blade.

Also, IMO it's also sorta arguable that Pedro had threatened to bean someone in the head again, if the only evidence is that gesture he made to the Yankee bench. Seems to me the TV commentators were trying to sensationalize the whole game a little bit. BTW, am I the only one who gets the impulse to stick it to my TV Elvis-style whenever Tim McCarver opens his mouth?

That Sox-Yankee game was just weird!!!(in case you didn't know that!) I was out of the house, so was just hearing about the near beaning and Pedro's pitching, on and off on ESPN radio. Joe Morgan said Pedro at some point had thrown 9-10 offspeed pitches in a row, it really sounded like he couldn't throw a fastball....Then I come home to see Pedro's antics. Pointing to Garcia, then his own head, time and time again. That pitch was clearly meant to hit him...he and Clemons love to hit guys, the closer to the head the better, IMO.

ESPN kept running the Zimmer Vs. Pedro incident over and over, and it looks like Pedro grabbed 72 year old Zimmer on each side of his head to bring him down....I know if a little 72 year old came after me, I could somehow manage to keep from bringing him down to the ground face first. Pedro is a little prick, and now I won't feel so bad if/when the Yankees once again beat the Red Sox...they should have been more concerned about knocking the 41 year old out of the game.....

I don't think Pedro tossing Zimm like a club bouncer was justified. Granted, in a situation like that, when you've got dudes coming at you from all angles, the natural reaction is to not give a damn and look out for #1. So I understand it from that angle for sure. That's just a primal thing. Anyone who's been in a fight before knows this. But all he really needed to do was simply get out of the way and usher Zimm along like a matador does a bull. Again, though, I wan't in the middle of that melle so I can't talk. When shit's real.....it's REAL so who knows how I would have reacted. Then again, I likely wouldn't have started anything with Posada from the mound either....

I'm both excited and worried about my Royals in 2004. The Beltran thing is a major concern, obviously. How long will they keep him? Will they get anyone for him? What about Randa? What about Ibanez? Etc. I'm confident that the starting rotation will have their act together by then, though. Affeldt will likely remain in the bullpen and Greinke looks very promissing. So that's comforting.

Bring on Jayhawk hoops.......!

Forget the seventy two year old man excuse, who went after who?

Zimmer went after Pedro, and threw a left hand when he did.

Zimmer absolutely got what he deserved, and I think its quite possible that out of everyone, Zimmer is going to get fined or suspended. I saw in the paper that MLB expects coaches to act as peacemakers, not instigators.

And what about the scrum in the Yankee bullpen? I thought I heard it was a fan jumping in, but it turns out to be a Fenway groundskeeper, assigned to the Yankee bullpen, who was cheering for the Sox and waving one of those rally towels. The Yanks told him to shut up or leave, and the next thing you know, the guys at the bottom of a pile and ends up in the hospital with CLEAT MARKS on his neck, back and arms. And that punk Karim Garcia bloodies his knuckle on the back of his head but says he didn't do anything to the guy. The Sox say groundskeeper may press charges and I hope he does. According to one of the Red Sox relievers, Nelson sucker-punched the guy. I mean, what's more likely-you're alone with the enemy, and you start swinging? I doubt it.

And as far as Garcia/Pedro goes, number one, did anyone notice that Varitek set up on the inside corner? Or did Varitek know what was coming and was just offering Pedro some protection so he could claim it just got away from him. Yes, first base was open, but why load the bases with no outs? And as for Pedro and what he said, my guess is it was something along the lines of "I want to hit you in the head, I'll hit you in the head" because that pitch got close to the asshole's head when he ducked his head down. If he stands up and turns away, it hits him square in the back.

:wacko:

If you want to read some really funny stuff, check out the forums at nyyfans.com.

Thread titles like:

Pedro: Complete Pussy

and

The "Mike Tyson" of baseball: Pedro Martinez

Well, the people at that board won't let people register from hotmail.com or yahoo, which is freaking ridiculous, so I had to use my work e-mail, so I can't post any messages before Monday to show those morons why everyone else in baseball recognizes that Zimmer is in the wrong. Probably just as well, as by that time, Zim will have been suspended or fined and I'll be able to point that out to the loser Yankee fans.

But, I did just get an awfully nice chuckle out of their registration message:

"Thank you for registering, Yankees SUCK ASS. An e-mail has been dispatched ...."

How much do you want to bet my registration will be deleted by the time I get to the office tomorrow?

Anyone with real player needs to check out

rtsp://necn.mirror-image.com/media/video/101203_pedro_12p.rm

for an "exclusive" first base-side view of the Pedro/Zimmer clash. Its about 35 seconds long, but around 13 seconds in, you see Zimmer, eyes ablaze, and in the next frame you can see that Zimmer has his hands balled up in a fist, and then Pedro is flipping him over.

SUSPEND ZIMMER NOW!

Hey, it worked on Greg, maybe it will work here. ;)

EDIT:

Or, go to:

http://www.boston.com

And the link to the video is just below the headlines.

Edited by Dan Gould