Running low: Peggy Lee/June Christy, Tal Farlow, Columbia Small Groups

J.A.W.

Guest Bixieland

Anybody thinking of getting these?

None of them were on my list. Tal was kind of on there awhile ago...and I was sampling the Peggy Lee set a month ago but didn't feel the need. I've never even sampled the Columbia Small Groups.

There's just too many other ones I want right now. :wacko:

I'll probably spring for the Lee/Christy. Great timing ! ;)

I'm not sure about that one. I'm not a June Christy fan, but I do like Peggy Lee's recordings with small groups.

The Columbia Small Groups and the Tal are both really nice by the way.

They're great, especially the Farlow - it's a must in my opinion :)

I'm curious about both the Columbia Small Groups and the Lee/Christy. The CSG seems to have a lot of Ruby Braff, though. Is the material varied across the box set, or does it all have kind of a Pablo-ish feel? As for the Lee/Christy, how would one compare it to, say, "Something Cool"?

It doesn't have a "Pablo" feel at all to me, it's not at all recorded in that manner, and it doesn't seem to have the same producer and production values throughout. . . . Pablo has a wide variety of "feels" if you ask me, so does this set, there's quite a bit of variety here.

The Christy is more "big band vocalist" to me than "Something Cool." I like it. The Peggy Lee is awesome.

Picked up the Columbia Small Groups, not a big jazz guitar fan nor Farlow fan either , already own the Lee/Christy, would have love more Peggy Lee.

Finally pulled the trigger on the Braxton and the Akiyoshi/ Tabackin and Tolliver sets.

Is it me or Paypal screws Canadians in terms of rates, they were offering about 78 cents while we're worth about 81 cents. Does not look big but on a 300 $ bill it makes a difference.

By the way, are you able to play the samples on the Mosaic site, my Windows Media Player says it does not recognize the files.

Edited by Van Basten II

I've been trying to stifle this thought, but can't. What does this sale say about Mosaic and about the economy?

Typically, when things hit "Running Low" and "Last Chance", the hold-out buyers jump in, getting while the getting is good. Or rather "possible". And yet here they're offering a discount. Is one or more of these well short of the 10,000 (or whatever) limit, but running out of time on the license? (Obviously, I don't know the particulars of any license Mosaic may have; and, frankly, I don't know much about the mechanics of such things generally). Or are things that tough. (Not just here at the O'Board!)

Guest Bixieland

The farlow sounds nice...great sq. But I have the Johnny Smith, and am not feelin' the need for another set of the same, even though I like it a lot. I'd rather swap the Smith for the Farlow to be honest.

The Peggy Lee set has been tempting me, but again no dire "need."

But the Columbia Small Groups...hmm. I've been sampling it now...this i could go for. Who did the mastering? I do like the variety sets!

Edited by Bixieland

I highly recommend the Lee/Christy. I got this set mainly for Peggy Lee's small group tracks, and they are very very nice. I myself can't listen to them continuously. But I've copied a couple of CDs onto my iTunes and iPod, and when a song of hers comes on, it is quite something. I feel the same way about Derek Bailey's solo recordings -- I can't sit through many of them continuously; but like them one by one mixed in with other recordings. You might think that Peggy Lee and Derek Bailey are an unusual pair. But supposedly, Bailey really admired Dave Barbour, who plays throughout these Peggy Lee tracks.

Edited by Bol

I've been trying to stifle this thought, but can't. What does this sale say about Mosaic and about the economy?

Typically, when things hit "Running Low" and "Last Chance", the hold-out buyers jump in, getting while the getting is good. Or rather "possible". And yet here they're offering a discount. Is one or more of these well short of the 10,000 (or whatever) limit, but running out of time on the license? (Obviously, I don't know the particulars of any license Mosaic may have; and, frankly, I don't know much about the mechanics of such things generally). Or are things that tough. (Not just here at the O'Board!)

If I had to guess (without having any direct knowledge), I'd say they're running out of time, so why not sell a few more before the deadline. I'd think that if one was selling out, they'd have no reason to discount.

I highly recommend the Lee/Christy. I got this set mainly for Peggy Lee's small group tracks, and they are very very nice. I myself can't listen to them continuously. But I've copied a couple of CDs onto my iTunes and iPod, and when a song of hers comes on, it is quite something. I feel the same way about Derek Bailey's solo recordings -- I can't sit through many of them continuously; but like them one by one mixed in with other recordings. You might think that Peggy Lee and Derek Bailey are an unusual pair. But supposedly, Bailey really admired Dave Barbour, who plays throughout these Peggy Lee tracks.

Ha, interesting observation there - I can relate to that!

Had no idea Bailey admired Barbour, but it somehow makes sense, if only soundwise (I mean with all the "avant" and "whimsicality" and experimental-ness of Bailey, he always had a "true", marvellous tone on his guitar, and he seemed to really love those old-fashioned hollow-body guitars, too!)

The farlow sounds nice...great sq. But I have the Johnny Smith, and am not feelin' the need for another set of the same, even though I like it a lot. I'd rather swap the Smith for the Farlow to be honest.

But the Columbia Small Groups...hmm. I've been sampling it now...this i could go for. Who did the mastering? I do like the variety sets!

Andreas Meyer did the transfers, remixes, and presumably the remastering and mastering of the Columbia set. Excellent sound.

I must say. . .I like both the Smith and Farlow equally. . . these were two very different guitarists in sound and technique and "taste". . . these are two very different sets musically.

Andreas Meyer did the transfers, remixes, and presumably the remastering and mastering of the Columbia set. Excellent sound.

I must say. . .I like both the Smith and Farlow equally. . . these were two very different guitarists in sound and technique and "taste". . . these are two very different sets musically.

I actually prefer the Farlow to the Smith. I think Tal stretches out a lot more, and I like the sound of his guitar. Not that I don't like the Smith, but I find myself returning to the Farlow set far more often. Also, save for the Concords recorded later, these are some of his only dates as a leader (not that Smith recorded that much either!).

greg mo

The Farlow is far superior to the Smith... (I have both and I agree with about the Smith...)

I think I'm one of the few who has not enjoyed the Columbia sessions... :mellow: :mellow:

The Lee/Christy has intrigued me... but I think I'm gonna pass.... :unsure: