Running low: Peggy Lee/June Christy, Tal Farlow, Columbia Small Groups

J.A.W.

I think I'm one of the few who has not enjoyed the Columbia sessions... :mellow: :mellow:

I too was underwhelmed by the Columbia set. To me it was somewhat uneven and some of the organ tracks elicited a cringe. Mosaic's collection sets like this are a treasure hunt. This one just turned out to be a little light.....

greggery peccary? OMG! The nocturnal gregarious wild swine is here? :excited:

Just looking at the reviews on Mosaic's site (which are normally so uncritical that they're completely useless) it seems like the Columbia set has quite a few detractors. I love small group swing, so I ordered it anyway. Based on everything I've heard about it, I don't expect it'll find it's way to my proverbial desert island list, but I'm hoping for solid and enjoyable.

I'll need the Columbia!

Got the Farlow (great!) and the Lee/Christy (very nice if you like those cool-voiced singers from the 50s!).

I've got too much of the Columbia on vinyl to bother with that set but I'm intrigued by the Lee/Christy set. I'd never listened to the samples until now and I'm impressed. I've grown to love the Anita O'Day set and this doesn't sound a million miles away from that, tempted........ which usually leads to .......£££.

However, I need self control having got Monk's Black Lion/Vogue set on eBay yesterday.........and I still need the Braxton and also want the forth coming Louis set.......choices.....

but I'm intrigued by the Lee/Christy set. I'd never listened to the samples until now and I'm impressed. I've grown to love the Anita O'Day set and this doesn't sound a million miles away from that, tempted........ which usually leads to .......£££.

3 years the idea of owning the Lee/Christy set was laughable to me. But I got over my allergy of jazz singers and the Lee small group sessions in particular really make the set worth owning. I don't own an extremely expensive stereo system but it practically sounds like the group is in the room with you. The rest of the package isn't bad either. Somewhere on the board is a comment by Larry Kart about the Lee small group sessions that will give the extra push to get you to buy it. ;)

However, I need self control having got Monk's Black Lion/Vogue set on eBay yesterday...

Congrats! :party:

.......choices.....

Go for the Lee/Christy. The rest you can get later.

At least that's the logic I'm using.. (I'm talking myself into it).

Congrats on the Monk. Is that the vinyl or the CD?

The Monk's vinyl, I've been on the look out for this material for several years , so I'm well pleased

I have to disagree.... as someone who adores the Anita O'Day set... the Christy/Lee sounds way different..... :beee: :beee: :beee:

I'll need the Columbia!

Got the Farlow (great!) and the Lee/Christy (very nice if you like those cool-voiced singers from the 50s!).

I've got too much of the Columbia on vinyl to bother with that set but I'm intrigued by the Lee/Christy set. I'd never listened to the samples until now and I'm impressed. I've grown to love the Anita O'Day set and this doesn't sound a million miles away from that, tempted........ which usually leads to .......£££.

However, I need self control having got Monk's Black Lion/Vogue set on eBay yesterday.........and I still need the Braxton and also want the forth coming Louis set.......choices.....

Somewhere on the board is a comment by Larry Kart about the Lee small group sessions that will give the extra push to get you to buy it. ;)

Wow -- I have no memory of that, though I do recall once hearing a Lee-Barbour performance of that vintage (perhaps it was a film clip) where Barbour took a stunningly good solo that very much in his own bag stylistically, IIRC hip and modern in every good sense but also related to the Carl Kress-George Van Eps tradition.

Could have been this clip,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ1TA-LwQKw...feature=related

but as nice as Barbour is here, my admittedly vague memory says that it was something even more impressive. Also, he sounds more Charlie Christian-like than I recalled (that languid swing!), though perhaps drawing from common sources (Barbour was with Wingy Manone as far back as 1934).