Running low: Peggy Lee/June Christy, Tal Farlow, Columbia Small Groups

J.A.W.

Guest Bixieland

as well as the Bobby Hackett. Not sure what to expect with the latter but I couldn't see myself bother Mosaic for a mere $72!! :rolleyes:

The Hackett doesn't get a whole lotta love -- probably based on the heavy arrangements. I like the set, it's fun. It's somewhat "ultra-lounge," if you liked that series--though it's not as extreme and/or over-the-top and corny as that was. Slightly kitsch/very Gleason. Hackett, though, never disappoints.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Arg, I don't know if I will make it. I have The Swinging Guitar and fell instantly in love with it, which made me want to get the box so bad. Here's hoping.

You know what? That's why I like this forum. I've bashed this Mosaic set a couple of times because it hasn't stuck with me yet, but several folks including yourself have mentioned how much they've enjoyed The Swinging Guitar, which starts on Disc 4. I will give it another listen. I came in cold with Farlow (as I've done with most Mosaic sets).

Admittedly, I didn't like the Joe Pass set the first couple of times I listened to it. Now it's a top 10 favorite of mine.

I just caved and ordered the Farlow. Damn all of you and your positive reviews! :lol:

It always seems to go like this:

"Gee, I don't have much Tal Farlow in my collection. Well, I don't need the whole box, I'll just get The Swinging Guitar. Oh yeah, and This is Tal Farlow. And The Guitar Artistry of Tal Farlow. Hey, I can get them all plus other stuff on the Mosaic? Well, I might as well just do that then.......I'll actually be SAVING money!!*.........etc.etc." Game over.

I actually got to jam with Tal Farlow once back in the 80s while on a SS Norway jazz cruise w/Woody's band. I'm not sure I realized how cool that was at the time.

*ultimate rationalization alert

I just caved and ordered the Farlow. Damn all of you and your positive reviews! :lol:

I actually got to jam with Tal Farlow once back in the 80s while on a SS Norway jazz cruise w/Woody's band. I'm not sure I realized how cool that was at the time.

*ultimate rationalization alert

Very cool re: the Farlow jam. The nearest I got was a personalised signed flyer with a nice friendly message on it that someone fixed up for me. He must have been a great guy.

Good move re: the Farlow set. You would regret it I suspect if you hadn't bought it and it went OOP. Pergatory ! :)

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...