*** Tyrone Washington Corner ***

Rooster_Ties

Howdy everyone.

I'm bringing up this thread again, cuz I layed a burn of Tyrone's 2nd LP as a leader, on couw -- and he wanted me to provide some session info for the date for him. Since I'm going to have to upload a couple images from the LP (copped from an e-bay auction), I figured the easiest way to do that was through a thread. (Yeah, I could have e-mailed them to him -- but where's the fun in that?)

First, here's the best quality version of the cover I've ever seen on-line. I'm gonna include it as an upload, just so we have some place to keep it (even after the seller gets a buyer)...

1345052.jpg

Tyrone Washington - "Roots" (Perception)

And here's another image of the cover, though I suspect it's maybe not as useful (for CD-cover making purposes), despite the fact that it's a bit bigger. (Your call, couw. Maybe this bigger one is better, even with the glare. You're the Photoshop wizard. I know you can stretch the bigger one back into a square image, but maybe the glare isn't worth the effort. Again, your call, couw.)

bf_1.JPG

And here's the uploaded image...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crap, the board won't let me upload the other images. Oh well, I'll have to e-mail them to couw. Here's what the back cover says...

Roots

(Recorded in 1973, according to various on-line sources. - RT  On the "Perception" label, which is the same label as Larry Young's "Lawrence of Newark" - RT)

1.  You Are The Sunshine Of My Life (Stevie Wonder) - 5:00

2.  Spiritual Light Of The Universe (Tyrone Washington) - 5:07

3.  Roots (Tyrone Washington) - 5:00

4.  Submission (Tyrone Washington) - 4:45

5.  War Is Not For Men (Tyrone Washington) - 6:00

6.  You Don't Know What Love Is (Don Raye/Gene Dupaul) - 7:00

7.  1980 (Tyrone Washington) - 7:20

Tyrone Washington - Tenor Sax and Flute

Hubert Eaves - Piano

Stafford James - Bass

Clifford Barbaro Barconadhii - Drums

Boo Frazier - Producer

David Jordan - Co-Producer

Eddie Korvin - Engineer

Eddie Korvin, Jan Rathbun, Davis Jordan - Remix Engineers

Fred Stark - Album Design

Bob Alcorn - Cover Painting

"Liner notes on this album are totally"... - - - and that's where my source image cuts off.  My memory is that the quote is "Liner notes on this album are totally unnecessary" - and there may be a second sentence perhaps, saying something about the music speaking for itself (or something similar).

If anybody else owns this album (the actual LP), could you verify the spelling of everything, and the timings of the tunes?? (Or at least the times printed on the LP.) The source image I'm typing from is a bit fuzzy.

Also, if anybody owns this album, can you provide the catalog number??

EDIT: Managed to change the format of the picture from a .bmp to a .gif -- so here it is after all.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 1 year later...

After inadvertantly fueling this thread, I thank Lonson for correctly stating my feelings about Tyrone.

I think Larry Kart (after 30+ years I can't deal with Lawrence) stated my feelings/perspective on Henderson as well.

You have to understand the times - when each performance seemed to reveal some new advancement towards more/new beauty. Silly as it sounds today, this was expected (under the current circumstances).

After Judgment and Dialogue we felt betrayed by Bobby Hutcherson. Joe Henderson seemed another link in this chain.

I remember being at a small party in Joseph Jarman's apartment ('66/'67) when he received a call saying the new Blue Notes were at Met Music (the hip store on the south side). We jumped in a car to retrieve Jackie McLean's Right Now.

When we returned and threw the record on the turntable faces sagged. It was a wonderful JM date, but seemed to be a half step back. We were a tough audience.

Mr. Nessa, This is a wonderful story. It makes me wonder--is there much of anything new coming out now that you enjoy and think highly of? What I mean is, with standards like those, is there anything coming out today that meets those standards? If so, I want to go get it!

Edited by Hot Ptah

• 2 months later...
Guest akanalog

anyone pick up the newish tyrone washington reissue from dustygroove?

it is called "do right" and is from i think 1974.

out on p-vine, who deserve some thanks for reissuing some good early 70s funky jazz which (and no offense to the organists on the board) is not all organ-based. some good e-piano based stuff-

including larry willis' "inner crisis" and ramon morris' "sweet sister funk" which i both highly recommend.

also some mike longo stuff but i'm not so into that guy as well as some other stuff...

i am curious about the jazzberry patch album. that is organ-based, i think.

anyway-i got this washington. it is pretty decent.

i like the afformentioned albums (willis and morris) better than the washington. the reason is because the washington is actually a bit more commercial sounding. or perhaps not commercial sounding, but more standard funkiness sounding.

washington does a decent amount of singing and i like his voice. it is sort of warm and fuzzy and frog-in-throat-ey. and he is singing about peace, love and respect kind of things which you can't do seriously these days but back then you could be sincere about it.

a few of the songs are "straight groovers" and if i was a DJ at a nice house party i would throw them on and people with good taste in party music would dance.

a song or two hints at commercial pharoah sanders or norman connors (same kind of bassline sanders used)...but not really.

yeah i guess i was just surprised out of the three albums i have on p-vine, the tyrone washington would be the most commercial. don't get the wrong idea though-it is a weird album. i mean, it sounds like washington is playing a ratchet on some songs and the last tune goes a little out and the lyrics are sung goofy, even when washington is just going "peace peace peace peace".

also-the first song starts with the lyrics "this is tyrone washington and his soulful band. we're trying to make you feel the best that we can" and it is pretty sweet.

the band included idris muhammed, rene mclean, fish benjamin, hubert eaves and some dudes clarence thomas who i keep confusing with clarence wheeler and some guy billy nichols, neither of whom i know of.

fish benjamin sounds good and makes the album for me, actually.

for some reason i keep thinking of that black heat song when listening to this album though they are not so similar. the ridiculously funky one with the flute.....

• 5 months later...

Yeah, I really recommend this one--I'd never heard of it before, & apparently it was a Japan-only release originally. The lineup is amazing--it includes Steve Lacy, Kenny Davern, Enrico Rava, Paul Motian, Sheila Jordan, & on one especially memorable track, Louisiana Red on guitar and vocals. Washington gets two long, excellent solos, so fans of his work will definitely be happy. Everything from dixieland to electric blues here, often on the same track.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

How do we get "Roots" released on CD?? I know there's an LP repressing out, but I've always assumed it was less than legit (anybody know?).

It was on Perception, and there's at least ONE "Perception" LP that's been released on CD -- Larry Young's "Lawrence Of Newark".

Has anything else on Perception ever been issued on CD?? The answer to this is YES, based on this Dusty Groove search (label search on "Perception" - limited to CD's)...

http://www.dustygroove.com/browse.php?labe...1&format=cd

Looks like Castle and Sequel (both in the UK), and P-Vine (in Japan) have issued Perception stuff on CD (though the P-Vine thing is a compilation).

The LP re-issue of "Roots" (on Dusty's site) doesn't give another label name (like they do with all the other Perception stuff). Interestingly, all the LP reissues of Perception stuff are all priced 8.99, and none give a co-label in the listing -- so if "Roots" ain't legit, I'm guessing none of them are.

Does anybody here own one of the recent "Roots" LP reissues?? Any clues there??

"Roots" is twice the album that "Do Right" is. I'd pay $25 (even $35) for a legit CD issue (in other words, expensive import prices), in a heartbeat. I think a few other people would too. How can we get this to happen?? Any chance Dusty could/would reissue it?? - since they have reissued a handful of things themselves on their own label (as I understand it).

Discuss...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

How do we get "Roots" released on CD?? I know there's an LP repressing out, but I've always assumed it was less than legit (anybody know?).

It was on Perception, and there's at least ONE "Perception" LP that's been released on CD -- Larry Young's "Lawrence Of Newark".

Has anything else on Perception ever been issued on CD?? The answer to this is YES, based on this Dusty Groove search (label search on "Perception" - limited to CD's)...

http://www.dustygroove.com/browse.php?labe...1&format=cd

Looks like Castle and Sequel (both in the UK), and P-Vine (in Japan) have issued Perception stuff on CD (though the P-Vine thing is a compilation).

The LP re-issue of "Roots" (on Dusty's site) doesn't give another label name (like they do with all the other Perception stuff). Interestingly, all the LP reissues of Perception stuff are all priced 8.99, and none give a co-label in the listing -- so if "Roots" ain't legit, I'm guessing none of them are.

Does anybody here own one of the recent "Roots" LP reissues?? Any clues there??

"Roots" is twice the album that "Do Right" is. I'd pay $25 (even $35) for a legit CD issue (in other words, expensive import prices), in a heartbeat. I think a few other people would too. How can we get this to happen?? Any chance Dusty could/would reissue it?? - since they have reissued a handful of things themselves on their own label (as I understand it).

Discuss...

I believe the LPs are legitimately licensed by Scorpio Music who put a lot of vinyl including Blue Note, Prestige and Strata East stuff among many others. They've borrowed some LP covers from me in the past and when first approached about this I asked a couple of the labels whose materials they requested if this was legit and they said yes.

I knew nothing of this record and very little of Tyrone. I had him on the Larry Young stuff in the Mosaic box, then purchased a collection from someone, which included Horace's THE JODY GRIND. I knew nothing of the record, but picked up on Tyrone right away. I just love the rawness of his playing. Anyway, I recently happened upon a copy of this and, being a certified TW fan, was not disappointed in the least. Yes, it's sloppy, nasty, loose, and aggressive. That's precisely what I love about it. Now if we could only know what became of Tyrone. :unsure:

As far as what happened to Mr. Washington. . . . I fear the worst.

I don't, not really. The few people I've talked to who would/could/should know haven't heard from him for a while, but the last they did, they all said that he was getting off into his religion. So hopefully, he's been leading a quiet, peaceful life of meditation and such, far away from the music business.

Hey, the odds gotta be 50/50, right?

• 4 weeks later...

As far as what happened to Mr. Washington. . . . I fear the worst.

I don't, not really. The few people I've talked to who would/could/should know haven't heard from him for a while, but the last they did, they all said that he was getting off into his religion. So hopefully, he's been leading a quiet, peaceful life of meditation and such, far away from the music business.

Hey, the odds gotta be 50/50, right?

This is true, I'm told he's a devout Muslim and that he actually goes to the Mosque that's just a block away from my apartment. Wouldn't know if I ever passed him on the street though.....

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Bringing up an OLD thread with a NEW question...

Does anyone here know if ANYTHING unreleased with Tyrone Washington (leader or sideman) circulates??

Is "The Trainwreck" in circulation yet? (I know it's out there, but I think only just barely -- I'm guessing only a handful of people have it, perhaps even less than that.)

I've had my hopes up that someday a live Horace Silver date might emerge, with Woody Shaw. Or Tyrone was in the Jazz Messengers (with Woody) for about 15 minutes in 1969, perhaps as few as 4 or 5 gigs (source, then search on "Tyrone"). One of the JM dates w/ Tyrone was at the Fillmore East, so I've had some vague hope it would turn up on Wolfgang's Vault, but nothing yet that I've seen.

There IS a JM date from '69 that a couple people have hipped me to, which people have claimed to be Tyrone, but it simply does NOT sound like him AT ALL. I think Spontooneous and I figured out it was probably Carlos Garnett, from one of a few '69 JM dates that circulate (see above source for details on that too).

Anything??

I've been curious about this for ages, and haven't seen his name even once on anybody's trade lists (though I haven't seen any updated lists in well over 6 years).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 1 month later...

What a great thread, dating back to 2003!

I came across this in the comments section this morning and thought y'all'd be interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Essence-Tyrone-Washington/dp/B00005GKBQ

Wow! Quoting it in full, just so it's preserved somewhere...

5.0 out of 5 stars My Brother TRW, September 25, 2010

By RBW - See all my reviews

This review is from: Natural Essence (Audio CD)

Tyrone R. Washington is my brother and he did drift away from music to pursue his religion. Woody Shaw grew up in our home and through his suggestions got my brother to leave Howard University School of Music and join the Horace Silver bans during the early 1960s. My brother moved into New York City's State of New York Conservatory of Music Building on West Street. And, as you maybe aware, played with a number of the great artist before completely abandoning music for preaching the gospel. Tyrone changed his name to Bialar Mohammed. He lives in Newark, New Jersey and while we respect his decision to leave music and practice his faith, he left a lot of great music on the table. To God be the glory. This is one of his great works of art. Bob Washington