COLTRANE BALLADS

jazzhound

Rudy did the 2002 version, which was a 2 CD set called the Deluxe Version. As well as the original album, which makes up the 1st CD, it contains some alternate takes on CD 2 - these were mostly unissued. Some newly unearthed tapes were used for CD 2. It is not clear whether these tapes also included the tracks on CD 1. I suspect that CD 1 was taken from the same source material as all the other CD reissues, though. Bottom line is, that it all sounds great, even the track that had to be taken from a vinyl 45.

Parallelling this set is another 2 CD set called the Deluxe Version of the album called "Coltrane". Most of my comments apply equally to that set.

If you're into Trane, you will want both sets.

• 2 months later...

Well thanks Robert....think I'll check it out. That $60 price tag's nothing compared to the forthcoming 'Ballads' mini-lp 'glass cd' set that'll soon be available for $2,000. When I first saw this listed on the 'Latest Japanese Re-Issues' thread I thought the 200,000 yen was a typo......and then a joke. Um, guess not.

On June 24,2009

UCCV 9381(Crystal CD) Coltrane,John(ts): Ballads(2CD)* 200000

UCCU 3122 Gillespie,Dizzy(tp): Afro 2000

UCCU 3123 Machito(perc): Afro Cuban Jazz 2000

UCCU 3124 Patato & Totico: Patato & Totico 2000

UCCU 3125 Valdes,Miguelito(vo): Inovidables 2000

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...p;#entry1313182

http://www.universal-music.co.jp/jazz/arti...rane/index.html