Newbury bargain thread (and bargains in general)

ghost of miles

Apologies if there's already a version of this, but thought we all might want to hip one another to great deals (particular on OJC/Fantasy catalog material). For starters, there's Ella Fitzgerald: the Concert Years (4-CD set) available right now for $7.99 (through Newbury on Amazon Marketplace).

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased yesterday from Newbury on Amazon Marketplace the 5 cd set Art Pepper "The Hollywood All-Star Sessions" for only $29.99.

I'd recommend grabbing this deal while you can. It's an excellent box set! It's kind of odd because they're selling it for $49.99 on their regular site.

Edited by mikelz777

Don't know if it's still the case since I haven't bought anything from Newbury in quite a while (after buying dozens upon dozens during their 1 cent CD Ebay auctions) but since they had multiple copies they often sent me Second Chance Offers whenever I lost an auction. It got to the point when I could pretty well guess what their SCO cutoff point was, so I would often purposely "lose" the high bid only to get a chance to purchase the same item for an even lower price. I think I got that Booker T box for around $8 plus shipping. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Just what I need, more temptation! :g

TELL me about it!

In fact, I just bought some Sibelius from Newbury. I've always had good luck with Newbury. Never had a problem with them, and not only do they have good prices but the fastest results with standard shipping I've ever seen. I swear, they must ship those babies the second they get the order!

They've got Chet Baker's STAIRWAY TO THE STARS for $5.99 right now--very good CD if you dig those mid-1960s sessions with George Coleman.

Right on! That was my first Chet Baker album, which I got when I was a freshman in college. It was called Comin' On with the Chet Baker Quintet, and was the third issued of the five in the series.

They've got Chet Baker's STAIRWAY TO THE STARS for $5.99 right now--very good CD if you dig those mid-1960s sessions with George Coleman.

Got my copy signed by Kirk Lightsey a few months ago. He mentioned that both he and Roy Brooks ended up high-tailing it backwards and forwards that week from Atlantic City (where they had a gig that week) and Mr Carpenter apparently treated them OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Coleman Hawkins, Bean and the Boys (Prestige)--Includes two wonderful 1944 sessions, including a quartet session with Monk, and a fabulous 1946 session with Fats Navarro. Plus a 1959 session. Only $4.99 from Newbury on amazon.

• 9 months later...