Trumpeter Ted Daniel?

Trumpet Guy

Have recently rediscovered trumpeter Ted Daniel on the great Dewey Redman's "The Ear Of The Behearer". I really find this style of trumpeting fascinating; a kinship, for me, to Norman Howard, Donald Ayler,Alan Shorter...Now I find myself wanting to hear other records of Ted Daniel. He is still alive? What would you recommend to hear next? They mention in the liners about his record on the Ujamaa Records from the early 70's...

Thanks in advance! :)

The Ujaama has been reissued on CD and is available from Ted directly. You might try contacting him through MySpace.

Tapestry, reissued on Porter Records, is also a hell of a date. It's kind of like running late Lee Morgan through the filter of loft jazz. He was also in a very, very weird free jazz/R&B combo called Brute Force; they have one record on Embryo and Porter will be issuing some live material from the vaults this year. I also highly recommend his work with clarinetist Michael Marcus in Duology - there is a disc on Boxholder that's pretty good and one on Soul Note that is excellent.

Finally, if you can find it - and Ted might have copies left - the big band recordings on In The Beginning are mind-melting.

• 10 years later...

Bump.

Really enjoying Ted Daniel's playing on the Andrew Cyrille Black Saint box (Metamusicians' Stomp, Special People, The Navigator). Only other thing I've heard him on is Henry Threadgill's excellent Song out of my Trees. Further suggestions welcome.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:38 PM, relyles said:

There is also a recording on NoBusiness Records - Interconnection - that at least on paper was enough for me to purchase. I have not had an opportunity to listen yet.

Thanks! I noticed Innerconnection (just a short while ago!) on the NB website, thought it looked very interesting, but promptly forgot :wacko:. I like NoBusiness and own several of their releases, so that looks like the way to go.

Edited by T.D.

Count me as a Ted Daniel fan.  I just listened to In the Beginning, a date where Daniel is keeping deservedly heavy company (Charles Tyler, Oliver Lake, David Murray and Arthur Blythe, among others).  This thread reminded me to rip that one and Interconnection, which I will revisit soon.  I also recommend his trio album, The Loft Years, Vol. 1,  and Solo at Abbazia San Zeno, Pisa, Italy.  With those four being archival releases, it makes me wonder how much material Daniel has socked away.

A sideman date I heartily recommend is Billy Bang's Vietnam: Relections, which also has Henry Threadgill, James Spaulding, John Hicks, Curtis Lundy, Michael Carvin and others, conducted by Butch Morris.  Although I haven't heard it in years, a mistake I will soon rectify, it is a haunting album.

I saw Daniel at the Freedom of Sound Festival (a Dolphy tribute) several years ago and then twice in two days with Michael Marcus and Jay Rosen.  I posted about the festival at the time, but I want to say he played wirh an ensemble conducted by Grachan Moncur III. On the trio gigs, he played cornet and was set to play at Edgefest, which apparently focused on the cornet that year. At any rate, he had a gorgeous cornet sound and played two memorable shows.  Marcus had written some strong material; it'd be a shame if he never recorded that group. I also have to add that Daniel has to be one of the friendliest, warmest musicians I've met (and Marcus was super nice, too).

5 hours ago, Justin V said:

I saw Daniel at the Freedom of Sound Festival (a Dolphy tribute) several years ago and then twice in two days with Michael Marcus and Jay Rosen.  I posted about the festival at the time, but I want to say he played wirh an ensemble conducted by Grachan Moncur III. On the trio gigs, he played cornet and was set to play at Edgefest, which apparently focused on the cornet that year. At any rate, he had a gorgeous cornet sound and played two memorable shows.  Marcus had written some strong material; it'd be a shame if he never recorded that group. I also have to add that Daniel has to be one of the friendliest, warmest musicians I've met (and Marcus was super nice, too).

I was also at that festival in Montclair and have a very positive memory of the Moncur Ensemble. I confess that I forgot Daniel was in that ensemble.

At the same festival he also played in an ensemble conducted by James Newton.