Birth of the Cool

edski

OK, I'm here. Thanks to B-3er for getting this going.

I am fairly new to jazz so this is a pretty basic question:

Should I opt for the 2cd Complete Birth of the Cool set or is the RVG edition better in any way?

Also, I am curious about the "In a Silent Way" box set - is the IASW album represented in the box entirely? Will I also need to buy the album to get the original release?

Thanks in advance,

edski

...Also, I am curious about the "In a Silent Way" box set - is the IASW album represented in the box entirely? Will I also need to buy the album to get the original release?

edski

Yep, the IASW album is included in the set in its entirety.

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure the 2cd version wasn't recorded at the wrong speed or anything like that. When I get some audio equipment that will let me hear the sonic improvement, I'll spring for the RVG. Right now, I am all about quantity over quality (music over sonics) unless of course, the sonics were really off in some way.

Now, I can buy the IASW box with confidence. Thanks!

If you do go for the RVG I'm reasonably sure the live material is on the Young Miles Proper box

I think you're right.

I'd go for the RVG, in any case. The sonic improvement is such that you can hear it on ANY system. It's really amazing. It literally knocked me out of my chair the first time I heard it.

I do have the "Complete BOTC" for the live material, and the difference is like apples and chedder cheese...nothing alike, but they do compliment each other in an odd way...