Warner Jazz France reissues

brownie

After someone pointed out that a previous incarnation* of the Atlantic Tristano album that paired "Lennie Tristano" with "The New Tristano" did not sound so good**, I popped in the recent reissue "Lennie Tristano" album*** to check that assertion.

I don't think it sounds bad at all. Not superb, but very nice, inobtrusive, a little hisss, some minor distortion, but also quite a bit of detail. Good enough for me and for a 1956 live (or even overdubbed) recording.

So what's the deal? Does anybody know whether these are indeed brand new remasters? I do expect something happened between 1994 and 2004, but saw there has been a 1998 reissue as well.

How do these new reissues compare to the former ones? I remember reading some remarks about the "Ornette!" album sounding better than ever, somewhere on this board, well hidden as a casual side-remark probably.

I hear the Mosaic T/K/M set sounds better...

* this one: f59004fzop0.jpg Rhino/Atlantic 1994 (US)

** later backing out a little as maybe over critical of the sound quality...

*** this one: B0000C24JU.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg Warner/Atlantic 2003 (Germany)

**** this one: B000024AOP.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif Warner/Atlantic 1998

don't you just love footnotes?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you know I just picked up the 94 Rhino/Atlantic copy. If there is a better remaster it would be nice to know.

Chris, just in case you don't know, the '94 edition omits one track from the "New Tristano" lp. In fact it is my favorite.

I was ignorant of it and in a hurry when I ordered the cd.

The review I read mentioned the missing track was a real gem, you just confirmed that for me. B)

Couw, hurry up and get the Mosaic. :D

couw surprised himself and ordered the set

having been on a Tristano / Konitz / Marsh binge for several months now, I thought why spend all the money on the single CDs and all the time on finding them. Why not order the set, which offers stuff otherwise unavailable and at the best possible sound at that. This is music I really sit down for and listen to, unlike much of the other stuff I have, which I play while doing many other things.

couw surprised himself and ordered the set

having been on a Tristano / Konitz / Marsh binge for several months now, I thought why spend all the money on the single CDs and all the time on finding them. Why not order the set, which offers stuff otherwise unavailable and at the best possible sound at that. This is music I really sit down for and listen to, unlike much of the other stuff I have, which I play while doing many other things.

Good for you, John! Seriously, you'll be in for some great music!

ubu

I am really confused about this series. Several,like the Lateef, and the Bill Evans were issued recently in digi.packs, also under the Warner Jazz classics series. When I saw this series I was pleased that these cheapo cheapo digis were being superceded, then a couple months back the Jazz Review has an ad for new releases in this Warner Jazz Masters series,inc Ornettes Twins, Bags and Trane again in the digi packaging! :wacko: What the hell is going on ?Erudition required!

I am really confused about this series. Several,like the Lateef, and the Bill Evans were issued recently in digi.packs, also under the Warner Jazz classics series. When I saw this series I was pleased that these cheapo cheapo digis were being superceded, then a couple months back the Jazz Review has an ad for new releases in this Warner Jazz Masters series,inc Ornettes Twins, Bags and Trane again in the digi packaging! :wacko: What the hell is going on ?Erudition required!

No one knows! I wondered about this, too.

But then it seems Warner has no real concept behind their reissues. And some of these series seem to be european.

ubu

• 2 weeks later...

Jazz Review advertises a new batch of these, including Mingus, the Clown and Oh Yeah, McCann and Harris Swiss Movement, Coltrane Sound and Plays the Blues, Lateef, Detroit and so on. Which type are these- the cheapo digi packs or the Jewel cases? Ubu? Brownie? any body ?

Claude, thanks for the link, but it seems to mix both the 2 series indescriminately,erudition and clarification still required!

Uh, Claude, sorry, I didn't look right!

They are there, but mixed, as Tony says. And strangely the link now works fine! It really didn't when you posted it!

ubu

Claude, thanks for the link, but it seems to mix both the 2 series indescriminately,erudition and clarification still required!

And there are even some "Atlantic Original Sound" items listed at the end! Pure chaos, it seems! Also some new releases (as opposed to reissues), as the Yellowjackets disc.

ubu