Warner Jazz France reissues

brownie

Warner France has reissued some 19 albums from the Atlantic/Reprise/Warner catalogue in 24bit remastering with some bonus tracks added on some of the CDs.

They're out in Paris stores this week.

The list includes:

- Rat Bryant 'Alone at Montreux',

- Fathead Newman 'Ray Charles Present Fathead Newman'

- Sonny Stitt 'Plays Bird'

- Ornette Coleman 'Ornette (I bonus track)

- Bill Evans 'You Must Believe in Spring'

- Ben Webster 'The Warm Moods'

- Lennie Tristano 'Lennie'

- Eddie Harris/Les McCann 'Second Movement'

- Peter Christlieb/Warne Marsh 'Apogee' (3 bonus tracks)

- Yusef Lateef 'The Blue YL'

and others.

They're supposed to be listed on a warnerjazz.com site but I have not been able to enter that yet.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH MY GOD !!! Yet another series by some subsidiary company, instead on one doing it right!!!

That aside, the David Newman is one to get, an excellent debut.

I hunted the Christlieb/Marsh for many years until I got an LP; Lou Levy told about the unissued material in an interview. Glad they include it.

The Stitt plays Bird is great, Lewis plays as humorous as can be, Hall is great, Davis and Kay swing like mad.

If the Swiss Movement were in concert order ......

Brownie, please keep us informed! Thanks!

When is Warner France, Japan or US going to put out:

JIM TIMMENS ALL-STARS doing PORGY & BESS or SHOWBOAT w/Donald Byrd, Jimmy Cleveland, Rex Stewart, Cootie Williams

RUBY BRAFF - GOES GIRL CRAZY

PAUL DESMOND - FIRST PLACE AGAIN

CHICO HAMILTON - WITH STRINGS, 3 FACES OF

DICK CATHCART - BIX MCMLIX

MARTY PAICH - BROADWAY BIT, I GET A BOOT OUT OF YOU

GROOVE HOLMES - BOOK OF BLUES

SAXES INC

TROMBONES INC

plus tons more from the late 50s/early 60s that have barely seen the light of day on CD.

I'd like to see "Tony Fruscella" (S/T) come out, too. His live recordings have left me wondering what kind of studio output he had in him.

I picked this one up yesterday, new & sealed and even for a relatively good price. It's a very nice date! Always wondered about it since that discussion about Fruscella and *similar* trumpet players took place here!

ubu

The Stitt plays Bird is great, Lewis plays as humorous as can be, Hall is great, Davis and Kay swing like mad.

I have the Stitt plays Bird in its Atlantic reincarnation. A marvellous disc! I love the combination of Hall, Lewis and Richard Davis. And Kay fits in well, too (often for my likings he seems to restrained, but here he sounds good to me).

Mike: what was the concert order of "Swiss Movement"? That's one of my favorite groove CDs!

And related to the Swiss Movement thing: anyone knows (hell yeah, I wish Atlantic/Warner/whatever had a clear reissue policy!) what else has come out as "Souvenir de Montreux"? The only other disc I have is the Kirk ("I, eye, aye").

ubu

anyone know what this one is like?

I like that album very much. It was produced by Walter Becker and Donald Fagen of Steely Dan who were Warne Marsh admirers. Marsh and Christlieb were a great match and inspired each others on the session.

The rhythm section of Lou Levy, Jim Hugart and Nick Ceroli is top notch.

Gonna get that one for the added tracks.

anyone know what this one is like?

The down beat critic reviewing it back then started with the words: This record is hot, hot, hot!

They have a helluva good time on that record. It took me many years to find. A second hand dealer had and said it was one to keep - and he kept very few records after having practically everything at his disposal at some time or another. A rare chance to hear Christlieb in a straightahead blowing context. There are two pianoless CrissCrossJazz CDs as well.

I have the Stitt plays Bird in its Atlantic reincarnation. A marvellous disc! I love the combination of Hall, Lewis and Richard Davis. And Kay fits in well, too (often for my likings he seems to restrained, but here he sounds good to me).

Mike: what was the concert order of "Swiss Movement"? That's one of my favorite groove CDs!

And related to the Swiss Movement thing: anyone knows (hell yeah, I wish Atlantic/Warner/whatever had a clear reissue policy!) what else has come out as "Souvenir de Montreux"? The only other disc I have is the Kirk ("I, eye, aye").

ubu

Connie Kay doesn't sound restrained to me at all, he's cooking it up the way he does, he's not Philly Joe .... he's very relaxed on that session.

I once reconstructed an order, it should be visible from the video, but I was unable to get this so far. McCann requests "Cold Duck Time" during the applause at the end of one track. "Compared To What" certainly was not the opener, rather an encore. I've lost my note with the order, I'll have to do it again ... That recording was an impromptu jam session, more or less. The Les McCann trio had played on June 18, Eddie Harris on June 20. The jam session was on June 21, McCann had to fly back in and was late and had most of the music, so there was no rehearsal. Benny Bailey didn't even know it was being recorded!

AFAIK only a Les McCann double LP was released from that Atlantic at Montreux evening, but no, this was from 1972, with Rahsaan Roland Kirk sitting in, but not nearly as exciting.

The track order of Swiss Movement is more difficult than I thought - maybe the video would help, but as I said I couldn't get it: Wanted to order it from Rhino but they said they couldn't ship to Europe!

The matrix numbers don't help, they have the Tracks in LP order:

1. Compared to what

2. Cold Duck Time

3. Kathleen's Theme

4. You got it in your soulness

5. The generation gap

6. Kaftan (first released on the 1996 CD edition)

At the end of track 4 Les McCann can be heard saying "Cold Duck Time" in an otherwise muddled discussion. This is track 2, seguing into 3 without edit. So tracks 4, 2, 3 must have been performed in that order.

After 1, McCann introduces the personnel, sounds like a closing number. McCann certainly wouldn't have done a vocal number as an opener, and this track is somewhat the high point of the set. 5 could well be the encore. This leaves Kaftan in between, so I'd suggest performance order was:

1. You got it in your soulness

2. Cold Duck Time

3. Kathleen's Theme

4. Kaftan

5. Compared to What

6. The Generation Gap

This sounds reasonable to me when programmed.

Any other suggestions?

brownie, do you know or can you find out if the Stitt has bonus tracks. Also, just curious what the packaging is like: is it digi pack. I assume Amazon France will have these.

Mikeweil already replied about the bonus tracks.

Those new Warner Jazz France reissues are in regular plastic CD packs.

These aren't really Warner Jazz France reissues, I think.

I buy five of these today here in Spain, made in Germany by Warner Music, but this is a program under supervision by Joel Dorn and remastering by David Donnely at Dan Mastering, Studio City, CA. I suposse they released these worlwide and of course in the US.

How do we know they are 24 bit remastered? This isn't stated in the booklet.

The Fathead Newman sounds good (for an Atlantic from 1959) but not great.

Havn't heard the others yet.

Cheers,

Reinier

The copies I have seen in stores here all have stickers claiming the CD was 24bit remastered.

At least some of these will be issued in the U.S. by Rhino. The first batch is due in February and includes:

Pete Christlieb/Warne Marsh - Apogee (Rhino/Warner Bros) Feb 10

Bill Evans - You Must Believe in Spring (Rhino/Warner Bros) Feb 10

Ornette Coleman Quartet - Ornette! (Rhino/Atlantic) Feb 10

Erroll Garner Trio - The Greatest Garner (Rhino/Atlantic) Feb 10

? all with bonus tracks

• 1 month later...