Jarrett/Hayden/Motion Trio in the '70's?

HWright

A few weeks ago I was watching Keith Jarrett videos on YouTube and I saw a great one of him playing "Moonchild" (from the album with Gary Burton) with Charlie Hayden and Paul Motian on a European (?) tv programme in the '70's (to judge by Keith's 'fro and Paul Motian's pony tail). The footage has on it the logo "1 +" (One Plus), perhaps the name of the show.

My question: did Keith often tour his American group but without Dewey Redman? Perhaps only in Germany? What was the show with "Moonchild"? Were they on other European tv programmes during that period? Based on what I could find in my own reading, it seems that during the '70's Keith generally recorded either with one of his quartets (American or European), solo or with or some mixed large group. Did he ever record his American trio during the '70's? I know they recorded in the '60's for Atlantic a few times, but the only clue I could find that they ever recorded as a trio in the '70's was a reference to a German jazz workshop recording in 1972 that was on a various artists collection, but I couldn't find any track listing.

Anyone know anything about this?

There are a few trio recordings with Haden and Motian from the 70's - they're on the boxed set on Impulse - "Mysteries - the Impulse Years 1975 - 76".

Just a few takes, but here they are:

Rainbow, take 3 - originally issued on "Byablue"

*Rainbow, take 3A/5A - previously unissued

Bop-Be, take 2 - originally issued on "Bop-Be"

Blackberry Winter, take 9 - originally issued on "Bop-Be"

Blackberry Winter, take 4 - previously unissued

Rainbow is credited to Margot Jarrett, Keith's first wife

Bop-Be is Keith's tune

Blackberry Winter is by Alec Wilder and Loonis McGlohon

I think I've seen the video you're referring to, but I'm not sure. Dewey's first perfromance with the group (making it a quartet)was in late Feb. of 1972, at Slug's, just a few days after Lee Morgan was shot there. His first recording with the group, however, was in mid-July, 1971 (El Juicio, on Atlantic). Maybe the video was done prior to that date. There's also a listing for the trio from 1972 in Hamburg - Rainbow, Piece For Ornette, Take Me Back, Life Dance are the tunes. Listed as Norddeutscher Rundfunk '72. That may be the video I saw - I think Rainbow was the first piece on that one. Keith spends a good deal of time working out on soprano saxophone.

Guest youmustbe

I have that video...killing!!!

I forget exactly, but Manferd or Keith wanted to release the entire concert recording but one or the other said no...what with all the Keith stuff they keep releasing it's understandable, but too bad. That's great music.

Guest youmustbe

Because it's not jazz. Not that there's anything wrong with jazz...but in this case, Keith isn't in his Paul Bley bag...but plays 'music' which is not jazz or classical or whatever label you put it in...and it has less of the bullshit quotient that Keith was wont to put in at the time, and later.

BTW some years ago I was talking to Geri Allen and I asked her if Paul Bley had been any influence on her...She replied too quickly..'No'.

Guest youmustbe

I first heard Keith in 65 with Blakey at Five Spot...After I came back from Nam I heard him trio with Charlie and Paul..I liked it but as a Paul Bley fan, I can't say it was better than Bley.

What Iliked about this trio gig in Germany is that harks to what Keith did later, 'music' his 'music' not jazz or funk or classical or whatever...which I prefer to his 'jazz' or 'classical' recordings.

Reread my first post again...... and cheer up for Christ's sake!

You know what they say about too much posting on blogs...the same thing they said about playing with one's self...you'll go blind!

lol

All the best.

Guest youmustbe

No I'm not...I just never liked Keith's 'jazz' or 'classical' playing. Heard it but didn't like it. I like, love his whatever you want to call it, his 'music' I call it, recordings and live performances.

Just one man's opinion. Don't need to agree with it.

A few weeks ago I was watching Keith Jarrett videos on YouTube and I saw a great one of him playing "Moonchild" (from the album with Gary Burton) with Charlie Hayden and Paul Motian on a European (?) tv programme in the '70's (to judge by Keith's 'fro and Paul Motian's pony tail). The footage has on it the logo "1 +" (One Plus), perhaps the name of the show.

Einsplus was a german tv station which existed from 1986 to 1993... it belonged to ard (and thus could draw upon the archives of wdr, ndr, br...)

http://www.tab-multimedia.de/ard_eins_plus_start.htm

I'll have to check this out later when not at work.

I go warm and cold with Keith's early work, which is definitely derivative of Bley. But it's not bad and some of it is quite enjoyable. That said (and not to go into too much Jarrett-bashing), I find a lot of his work from the later 1970s and subsequently pretty grating.

As for jazz and not-jazz, well, YMMV.

I think some of the arguments against early Jarrett, Carla Bley's classic run for Watt, etc., as being "romantic improvisation" and not out of the "jazz tradition" are a little oversimplified. Categories and the words that delimit them are worth having as signposts, but the signs they hold are often merely suggestions and not gospel.

I just saw an ad for this on DVD in The Wire, the music magazine from England. According to the ad, it was to be released in January 2009 on Discovery Records, UK. It was also to be released on CD as a 2 CD set, including the complete Hamburg concert by the trio, along with 2 solo pieces, and a date with Keith as a sideman w/ Lee Konitz and Chet Baker (with Michael Moore and Beaver Harris if I remember correctly). Checking their website, there's nothing about it anywhere, so it's either been delayed or someone's lawyer got busy in the meantime. I've heard the stuff w/ Konitz and Baker, years ago. It was out for a short time on LP, maybe on India Navigation, but it's been such a long time I'm not sure. I seem to remember that it was recorded at Ornette's loft on Prince Street. anybpdy know this recording? If my info isn't correct, straighten me out.

29279209.jpg

Lee Konitz - Chet Baker - Keith Jarrett Quintet (Jazz Connoisseur (Israel) JC 113)

Chet Baker (tp) Lee Konitz (as) Keith Jarrett (p) Charlie Haden (b) Beaver Harris (d)

NYC, April 14, 1974

Donna Lee

Lover Man

There Will Never Be Another You

Like Someone In Love

29279195.jpg

Chet Baker/Lee Konitz - In Concert (India Navigation IN 1052)

Chet Baker (tp) Lee Konitz (as) Michael Moore (b) Beaver Harris (d)

"Ornette's Club", Woodstock, NY, April, 1974

Airegin

Au Privave

Body And Soul

Willow Weep For Me

Walkin'

Guest youmustbe

That dvd/cd is from a company in Andorra...Manfred Eicher sued them and also warned anyone in Europe carrying it that he would not allow them to sell ECM product if they did so....seems it won't come out until Manfred puts it out, if he does.

The record with Baker/Konitz is semi official and can be released.

Here's that video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHL-X85Ggao

It strikes me as kitsch; in particular, as with a fair amount of Jarrett, the impulse to be melodic seems to precede the melodic impulse, if you know what I mean. (...)

I think I had an extensive footage of this video on DVD from Dimeadozen, some years ago, along with an equally beautiful set of him with the european quartet (Gabarek, Danielsson, Christensen). I always loved this "early" music as I do Jarrett's Impulse and '70s ECMs, though I find boring his sparse soprano and percussion playing (given the screaming for granted).

Edited by ArmandoPeraza