My moles have told me... upcoming Select....

Here's a discography that includes the 50s. I assume it's accurate.

lucky disco

Thanks for posting this. It will be interesting to see if this project comes to pass and what's on it. I could see them issuing the Decca and Urania material plus "Tricotism" though the latter has been available on cd. The big question is all the French stuff. The "Jazz in Paris" series has issued a fair amount of Lucky's Paris sessions both as leader and with various other people, but I don't think that series has issued the sessions recorded for "Swing." But I think all this would be too big for a Select, wouldn't it?

greg mo

lucky disco

Thanks for posting this. It will be interesting to see if this project comes to pass and what's on it. I could see them issuing the Decca and Urania material plus "Tricotism" though the latter has been available on cd. The big question is all the French stuff. The "Jazz in Paris" series has issued a fair amount of Lucky's Paris sessions both as leader and with various other people, but I don't think that series has issued the sessions recorded for "Swing." But I think all this would be too big for a Select, wouldn't it?

greg mo

The Decca and ABC material are both owned by Verve, I believe, so some combination along those lines could be possible. Whatever the case, a Lucky Thompson Select would be great.

Based on some prior discussions with Scott Wenzel, my understanding is that the ABC material would be part of what's on the Select. I don't remember what else he had in mind for the rest of the box.

lucky disco

greg mo

The Decca and ABC material are both owned by Verve, I believe, so some combination along those lines could be possible. Whatever the case, a Lucky Thompson Select would be great.

I'd be curious to see what's going to be on the set. Nearly everything I have of Lucky Thompson is from the 50's.

Lucky Thompson/Gigi Gryce In Paris

The Complete Vogue Recordings, Vol. 1

Tricotism

Lucky Thompson With Dave Pochonet All Stars

Modern Jazz Group

Lucky In Paris

If the Select covers the 50's and there is too much overlap, it's probably not going to be too attractive for me.

I'd be curious to see what's going to be on the set. Nearly everything I have of Lucky Thompson is from the 50's.

Tricotism

Modern Jazz Group

Lucky In Paris

If the Select covers the 50's and there is too much overlap, it's probably not going to be too attractive for me.

don't know what lucky in paris is (the one on high note?)... but you really should get the thompson "americans swinging in paris" disc - imho it's the best of the 1956 paris recordings and the only one you're missing...

i keep hoping for the milt jackson material, or some of the other american recordings, since i have most of the french ones...

Tricotism

Modern Jazz Group

Lucky In Paris

don't know what lucky in paris is (the one on high note?)... but you really should get the thompson "americans swinging in paris" disc - imho it's the best of the 1956 paris recordings and the only one you're missing...

i keep hoping for the milt jackson material, or some of the other american recordings, since i have most of the french ones...

You called it, the "Lucky In Paris" is the one on High Note. I'll have to check out the "Americans Swinging In Paris" disc if it doesn't overlap what I already have.

Tricotism

Modern Jazz Group

Lucky In Paris

You called it, the "Lucky In Paris" is the one on High Note. I'll have to check out the "Americans Swinging In Paris" disc if it doesn't overlap what I already have.

check for yourself, but it shouldn't overlap, the four sessions on this one are owned by emi... quintet with emmett berry, quartet with jean pierre sasson on guitar, quintet with solal and guy lafitte, quartet with solal, four glorious sessions...

Lucky in Paris (doesn't it have another title, something with "Flower" maybe?) and the Pochonet are the Swing sessions, those were on two "Original Vogue Masters" CDs (one of those added Lucky's great half - a trio date with Peter Trunk on bass - of an album shared I think with Bud Powell - that half was the bonus on the Duke Jordan "Original Vogue Masters" CD).

This is good news, but still... the Paris stuff would be way too much for a Select and it wouldn't be that cool if they picked sessions for just one or two of the various labels - but the fact alone that so many labels would be involved (RCA/BMG or rather now Sony/BMG owns the Swing/Vogues, EMI owns the Ducretet-Thomson sessions, Universal the Barclay ones) would make this an almost impossible project, I assume.

So indeed the ABC stuff... what would that consist of? The stuff from the "Tricotism" CD, also the Oscar Pettiford big band twofer? And what else? These two have both been ripped off by Lonehill or another of those cheapo labels.

I'd absolutely love to see a set compiling the sessions with Milt Jackson, but Mosaic has never done anything by Savoy, I think? But that would be my LT dream/wish set, if I had the choice, that's for sure! (I guess though maybe Lonehill will do that eventually, just as they did with Curtis Fuller's sessions... too bad, I'd much more see Mosaic doing it!)

For a second I thought you had moles---on your shoulder or something---trained to talk and everything.

I'm deeply, deeply disappointed :rhappy::excited::rmad:

Excellent player, Lucky Thompson. Outta Byas, sort of. He and Benny Golson always sounded a bit similar to me. I remember Ed Beach or somebody interviewed him in the early 70s on the old WRVR in NY. He was already a nomad and sounded like he wanted no part of the US.

I dug that trio recording w/Pettiford & Skeeter. A fine moment for all. Plus he played next to Bird and didn't embarrass himself as many did. That ain't hay....

Lucky in Paris (doesn't it have another title, something with "Flower" maybe?) and the Pochonet are the Swing sessions, those were on two "Original Vogue Masters" CDs (one of those added Lucky's great half - a trio date with Peter Trunk on bass - of an album shared I think with Bud Powell - that half was the bonus on the Duke Jordan "Original Vogue Masters" CD).

brown rose on xanadu has the same 1956 sessions as the vogue vol 2 and the thompson/gryce (vogue vol 2 unlike the others has the trio with trunk; there is also a cd called lucky sessions with the trio plus vogue vol 1); the high note is a different session from 1958/59 with michel hausser... (there is also theJiP disc with sammy price btw...); thompson is on at least two sessions of the clarke americans cd...

brown rose on xanadu has the same 1956 sessions as the vogue vol 2 and the thompson/gryce (vogue vol 2 unlike the others has the trio with trunk; there is also a cd called lucky sessions with the trio plus vogue vol 1); the high note is a different session from 1958/59 with michel hausser... (there is also theJiP disc with sammy price btw...); thompson is on at least two sessions of the clarke americans cd...

Ah yes, Brown Rose.... I once bought that thinking it was an album I didn't have... was lucky that they took it back in the shop :blush: