Mingus "Complete Debut Recordings" set

Shrdlu

Right, I left off Candid recordings which I would put before Atlantic and Impulse, but that's ME and anyone else may have different label priorities. But they're all recordings i pull out and listen to. Two of the Impulse are available on SACD from Analogue Productions, and they are well worth checking out.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I don't think ordering from amazon.it necessarily means the order will ship from Italy. Rather it will ship from the European warehouse that has the item in stock ... but then these Universal Italy releases don't usually seem to be widely available elsewhere, so they may be the exception in that respect and very likely will be shipped from Italy. I for one have ordered from amazon.it many times - when there was an issue, they were friendly and fast in answering (very much like amazon.fr and very much *unlike* amazon.de), so I'd say buy with confidence.

Those were mentioned here and there, but I don't think there was ever a thread dedicated to them ... there's also a Miles and Coltrane Prestige (I think a Dolphy too), then a Chet Riverside, a Duke @ Carnegie Hall (the four double disc sets) ... and probably more.

The only one I ever bought was the Rollins (silly story, I since passed it on to a friend), it had a booklet with just info on one side and cover on the other - a double page per album. No notes, no nothing.

Some of the "real" Universal sets (remember those Concord-thingies are just a distribution thing, Universal handles the distribution of Concord's holdings in Europe - lots of OJCCDs were re-pressed, too, with the catalogue numbers amateurishly covered by a blank spot approximating the cover of the tray, and adding a new number plus a small Universal logo) seem to include better booklets - i.e. the Brownie box has the whole thing, as did the original one. Not sure about Bird, JATP, Pres and others ...

• 5 months later...

Has anyone compared the original edition of the Mingus PASSIONS OF A MAN box of Atlantic recordings (1997, ASIN #B000003446) with the 2013 reissue (ASIN #B002WBXHXC)?

I'm assuming the contents of the discs is identical, but is the packaging the same?

Edited by Octave