Mingus "Complete Debut Recordings" set

Shrdlu

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Bird at St. Nicks" and "Bird on 52nd Street" - both later reissued as part of the OJCCD series.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but 52nd is also in the Dean Benedetti box - Jimmy Knepper source there, I think? They were actually on Debut but labelled Jazz Workshop JWS 500 (Nick's) and JWS 501 (52nd) - not sure it was an actual sublabel or just a series or whatever ... the JWS label proper only came into existence a bit later, I think?

I see Lon posted in the meantime ... so you say they appeared first as three Debut EPs (or 10" LPs)?

Does that mean that Knepper got his tape from Benedetti or vice versa?

Thanks Lon!

As for the 52nd Street date (July 6, 1948), Losin says this:

These items were recorded by Dean Benedetti.

The Parker Quintet was booked at the Onyx Club for six nights, July 6-11 (Tuesday-Sunday). The Benedetti material issued by Mosaic includes parts of at least four of these nights (July 6, 7, 10, and 11), plus a bit of an afternoon rehearsal (July 10).

While they're certainly important, these recordings are disappointing, especially compared to those made earlier at the Three Deuces. The fidelity is quite poor throughout, and the items are all edited one way or another.

Numbers in parentheses indicate the place of the item in the Mosaic box. "(4/1)" means that this item is on disc 4, track 1.

http://plosin.com/milesahead/BirdSessions.aspx?s=480706

So I mixed this up and Knepper has nothing to do with it ... at least not with the recording per se.

• 4 months later...

Thanks guys. As I'm not that into Mingus (yet, I always say "yet") I'll hold off for now.

I'd recommend starting with the 1956-57 material on Atlantic, RCA and Bethleham--Pithecanthropus Erectus, The Clown, Tonight at Noon, East Coasting, A Modern Jazz Symposium of Poetry and Music, and Tijuana Moods.

Something like this? Or is there something more complete for Atlantic? I have the Columbia albums and one or two others (Money Jungle of course) but as I've never been struck with him, I haven't gone any further.

That's a good selection of some very enjoyable albums and that price is frankly a steal.

I suspect everyone's going to say "and you need this one as well" so mine would be Black Saint & the Sinner Lady

Start with 'The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady' on Impulse. Then the 3CD Columbia box, then the 7CD Atlantic box, then 'The Great Concert of Charles Mingus'. But there's still so much more, those don't do justice to the scope of his work.

Something like this? Or is there something more complete for Atlantic? I have the Columbia albums and one or two others (Money Jungle of course) but as I've never been struck with him, I haven't gone any further.

I'd go here for the Atlantic sessions:

91dc5b7902b402e04048972c4b34df2f.jpeg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passions-Man-Complete-Recordings-1956-1961/dp/B002WBXHXC/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389126784&sr=1-4&keywords=mingus+box+set

It's dearer but it's a beautifully produced boxset and has a really good book(let) as well.

Edited by Head Man

Start with 'The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady' on Impulse. Then the 3CD Columbia box, then the 7CD Atlantic box, then 'The Great Concert of Charles Mingus'. But there's still so much more, those don't do justice to the scope of his work.

Yes, yes, yes, yes! :tup

And the Candid recordings.

Edited by porcy62