What are you listening to on Lala, Spotify, last.fm and Deezer?

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is THANK GOODNESS FOR LALA!  Some free and guilt-free online music listening is a damn nice thing to have in this screwed economy.  

Ditto re spotify, deezer and last.fm for us Yurpeans! :)

thirded, together with changing form cigarettes to filter cigarillos these sites have helped me really much in cutting back my every day expenses without losing much comfort if any... (actually i am still amazed i have so much music so easily available, some days i must admit i just play 30 seconds of one album then go on to the next... but i am learning more discipline :-) )

i know spotify and deezer aren't, is last.fm available in the US? concerning web design (notably the playback function) and unavailability of listed stuff this is by far the worst of these sites but it has lots of things in its catalogue which the other sites don't have...

read somewhere that these sites are just a way for the music industry to press money out of venture capital funds and that these sites can never be profitable... don't really care, happy as long as they're around...

Now Playing: Ronnie Boykins - The Will Come, Is Now (lastfm)

great one!

I find you go through phases with these free music sites. At first I was drunk on access to so much unheard music and went through about 120 full albums, as well as "peeking" at things for a couple of minutes, as you mention, Niko. (This, by the way, led to warning emails from British Telecom about excessive broadband use and threat of surcharge. No such thing as a free lunch, as they say!) I kept lists, starring really good discs, which I'm now gradually rehearing and buying at the rate of about one a week. So I can hold my head up high, as far as the effect of free sites on the record industry is concerned! :rolleyes:

All I can say is THANK GOODNESS FOR LALA!  Some free and guilt-free online music listening is a damn nice thing to have in this screwed economy.  

thirded, together with changing form cigarettes to filter cigarillos these sites have helped me really much in cutting back my every day expenses without losing much comfort if any... (actually i am still amazed i have so much music so easily available, some days i must admit i just play 30 seconds of one album then go on to the next... but i am learning more discipline :-) )

i know spotify and deezer aren't, is last.fm available in the US? concerning web design (notably the playback function) and unavailability of listed stuff this is by far the worst of these sites but it has lots of things in its catalogue which the other sites don't have...

read somewhere that these sites are just a way for the music industry to press money out of venture capital funds and that these sites can never be profitable... don't really care, happy as long as they're around...

great one!

I find you go through phases with these free music sites. At first I was drunk on access to so much unheard music and went through about 120 full albums, as well as "peeking" at things for a couple of minutes, as you mention, Niko. (This, by the way, led to warning emails from British Telecom about excessive broadband use and threat of surcharge. No such thing as a free lunch, as they say!) I kept lists, starring really good discs, which I'm now gradually rehearing and buying at the rate of about one a week. So I can hold my head up high, as far as the effect of free sites on the record industry is concerned! :rolleyes:

:) in my case i doubt the music industry profits from my change to these sites - since most of my listening is in my office anyway where i can't keep as many cds as i'd want to (and where i don't really profit from cd quality) i found myself buying only four cds since this thread started ten weeks ago (as opposed to 16 or so i'd have bought otherwise i guess) (and two of the cds were very cheap and used, another was a cd i had borrowed from a friend and lost...) haven't bought anything based on what i heard there (though i think i will buy the jimmy woods awakening ojc if my enthusiasm lasts) what i really like is that i take more chances with free impro cds i would have found too risky to buy...

Victor%20Assis%20Brasil%20-%20Jobim%20(1970)-image026.jpg

Not wild about this - well to the jazz side, lacking the warmth of the Brazilian side (to these ears).

interesting, will play this one soon, i really like assis brasil's trajeto

now playing

The Style Concil - Confessions of a Pop Group (first heard track two of this in a "Robert Wyatt plays his favorite songs" or the like radio show...)

great one!

I think I'd feel guilty about buying music I could listen to online! Seriously, I am interested in music as such and interested in musical performances, but less interested in musical 'product' and even less interested in the 'industry'.

deezer has started to add emi titles... not many so far, just a bunch of rvgs (and their apparently in the process of adding stuff, now playing grant green's first stand which can only found by clicking on grant green and then on albums but not directly via the search function..)

Edited by Niko

Spotify seems to have just added several Lonehill titles. I've noticed a number of Illinois Jacquet and Buddy DeFranco titles have appeared that weren't there before.

That's right. A while ago I did a playlist with everything I could find with Eddie Costa in it, and have just updated it, with a lot of newly added stuff. The list is here, and a brief comment, here.

F

Adverts are a bit of a jolt - the Kings of Leon advertised in the middle of a sequence of neo-classical concertos! But they only seem to appear every 30 minutes or so and only between tracks.

They've increased the ads (I guess they noticed that one ad in 30 minutes wasn't actually that much of a pain in the a to make you switch), plus they seem to be annoyingly LOUD..."Hi, this is Jonathan from Spotify"....

All I can say is, I rarely listen to my iTunes anymore, mainly because my library is on an external USB drive and it's just that much more of a extra hassle of starting it instead of Spotify. :rolleyes:

The selection varies a lot though...and I wish they'd ged rid of those annoying cover version compilations (in place of the originals) that they seem to have an abundance of, especially when it comes to 70's soul classics.

Edited by Kari S