What are you listening to on Lala, Spotify, last.fm and Deezer?

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conlon Nancarrow played by Herbert Henck. I'm going to buy this now, the response the participating labels are looking for. But I'm with some of the posts above - this can't be a viable business model in the medium term, either for Spotify or (more to the point) the record companies.

Their advertising sales haven't taken off yet, most being for Spotify itself or charities ... but one advert nearly makes me turn it off - 'Hi', it says, 'at Spotify we believe music should be free'. Why? This is the recent misconception that record companies are trying to battle. Maybe, if labels provide their catalogue but end up strengthening that perception, the can't-beat-em-join-em strategy isn't the right one.

It's very interesting (to me) that Spotify is actually a peer-to-peer service - at least, that's what their Wiki page says.)

I can see where many people over here would shut off the whole idea, no matter how legal it actually is (or can be) due to the seriously wrong impressions of what peer-to-peer technology is about. (For which I partly blame the RIAA, but also the press and broadcast media.)

Most people here assume that p2p = illegal. 'Tain't necessarily so.

(Now testing Spotify via a UK proxy server and hoping that it comes to the US and Canada very soon...)

Edited by seeline

Thanks, Niko, for your PM response.

Lala:

Chet Baker - Stairway to the Stars

I had this one in college under the name Comin' On with the Chet Baker Quintet. I have listened to it on Lala before. Apparently if you go a month or so without listening to an album, the Lala computer forgets that you have, and you can listen to it once again for free.

Stan Getz - My Foolish Heart: Live at the Left Bank