What are you listening to on Lala, Spotify, last.fm and Deezer?

A Lark Ascending

I've been mopping up titles in the Blue Note and Unheard Music Series, and other Atavistic titles I don't have.

Also noting the large scale EMI classics presence. Lots to get through... dipped into the Hartmann symphonies cond. Metzmacher - don't know how much of that I can stand...

ok, large scale emi presence is a difference between spotify and deezer it seems (deezer has no emi? or little at least...); but they do have lots of ecm, the free america series...

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone made any purchases yet as a consequence of flirting with it on spotify?

Not exactly. Decision to buy Clarke/Boland, More Smiles, based on reading reviews, confirmed by hearing it on spotify. No previously unknown must-have item has yet emerged, tho' it's likely to before long!

Not exactly. Decision to buy Clarke/Boland, More Smiles, based on reading reviews, confirmed by hearing it on spotify. No previously unknown must-have item has yet emerged, tho' it's likely to before long!

Did you try the playlist I linked? I am wondering if we can share playlists?

Did you try the playlist I linked? I am wondering if we can share playlists?

Yes, I've accessed that. I wouldn't know how to set up a playlist, but I'm listing everything I listen to on this thread, anyway.

One result of Spotify is that Cook & Morton has been off my shelf as many times in the last few days as in the previous few months to answer questions like "who's that on piano?", as Spotify often comes without details. That's got me reading C&M on the stuff I'm listening to and realising how often I profoundly disagree with their judgements. I think there are swathes of the music that they're not particularly attuned to, and yet they pass judgement on musicians' work with such magisterial arrogance. (With all due respect to the deceased one, of course.)

Collective 4tet, Moving Along

John Stevens, Live at the Plough lined up...

The former is on Leo, who have a few titles on here, Braxton four CD sets included, and the latter is Ayler, not yet worked out how many or which of theirs is here....

Edited to add playlist of Ayler label on Spotify:

http://open.spotify.com/user/davidayers/pl...JfJVnTX1VlKWXAO

Edited again to add: noticing lots of holdings from Stunt Records on Spotify. One way in is to look up the numerous compilations (search on 'Stunt Records'). Too much work to make a complete list.... but, is this something we could work on using the 'collaborative playlist' function. Certainly a pity you can't search by label, but as I did with the Ayler label list maybe something to work on over time? For example, a Jazz in Paris listing? Or other less known labels like Ayler and Stunt and which lead into some lesser known artists it would be really fun to discover? Since Spotify is of Swedish origin I expect there will be other Swedish labels...

Edited by David Ayers

Tchan-tchou Vidal - La Gitane

tchan-tchou_LaGitane-ab928.jpg

http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/44375

great post-django gypsy swing

more info here (in french)

http://www.djangostation.com/La-Gitane,520.html

before this fine compilation of gypsy jazz guitarists mostly from the sixties...

http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/45258

Edited by Niko