What are you listening to on Lala, Spotify, last.fm and Deezer?

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Coleman, Playing Changes

Thanks for the tip, David!

That's a nice CD I've had for many years. What I'd really like to hear is one recorded at Ronnies around the same time (might even be from the same concert) that originally came out on the brief PYE based Ronnie Scott label.

George Coleman: Live

Ronnie Scott’s Club, London, April 19-20, 1979

George Coleman-tsx; Hilton Ruiz-p; Ray Drummond-b; Billy Higgins-d

[a] Blues Inside Out George Coleman 11:30

Walking [sic] Carpenter 15:12

[c] Stella By Starlight Washington-Young 21:35

PYE LP N 121

I recall hearing part of it on Peter Clayton's Sunday night show not long after. Think it was Stella.

Sat in a vault with Ronnies magnificent 'Serious Gold' I imagine.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

0094636772028-lf.jpg

Didn't listen to the BBC Met broadcast on principle; but I'm seeking a CD version so tried this one. Works for me.

One awkwardness - pauses between tracks like my first MP3 player - not an issue with separate tracks but a minor irritant with continuous pieces. On the good side, didn't hear a single advert. Announcements about the Kings of Leon might just have broken the flow!

http://open.spotify.com/album/2sLx3mkCwYywR1mMsZEW9g

How about this new one? Sells for about £15.

Yes, that's a new one with current star soprano. Having listened to the Barbirolli I think I'll go with that as the safe bet.

George Coleman, Playing Changes

Thanks for the tip, David!

That's a nice CD I've had for many years. What I'd really like to hear is one recorded at Ronnies around the same time (might even be from the same concert) that originally came out on the brief PYE based Ronnie Scott label.

George Coleman: Live

Ronnie Scott’s Club, London, April 19-20, 1979

George Coleman-tsx; Hilton Ruiz-p; Ray Drummond-b; Billy Higgins-d

[a] Blues Inside Out George Coleman 11:30

Walking [sic] Carpenter 15:12

[c] Stella By Starlight Washington-Young 21:35

PYE LP N 121

I recall hearing part of it on Peter Clayton's Sunday night show not long after. Think it was Stella.

Sat in a vault with Ronnies magnificent 'Serious Gold' I imagine.

Ah, the glass is half empty I see. ;)

The PYE LP is certainly from the same visit. Pity the two parts can't be rejoined.

Chico Freeman, The Unspoken Word here... another Ronnie Scott's gig.

Ah, the glass is half empty I see. ;)

Ha! Didn't mean it like that! I just get haunted by things I recall hearing on the radio but have never found.

Thanks for the Talking Heads link...tried them in the 80s but didn't care for them. Must give them another listen - having got a taste for Belew era KC I might enjoy them more now.

This evening disc 1 of:

albumcoverMilesDavis-TheCompleteJackJohnsonSessions.jpg

A Willie Nelson too many, methinks!

Some metadata problems in Spotify, mostly around classical music. Some of the entries are muddled or ALL IN CAPS - look for the Berwald syms on EMI Gemini and try to figure out what you are looking at.

But more serious, composers are often not shown. So look for Ciccolini's set of Satie recordings under 'Satie' and you just won't find it. Search for 'Ciccolini' and there it is. It seems that many entries avoid this problem by entering the composer in the album title, so perhaps the lesson has been learned, but had a better format been devised no work-around would have been required.

I'd say that it is a real slip-up to reproduce the mistake of iTunes where the format of the metadata reflects pop but not classical data requirements. This will be a bottle-neck for classical access in the future. Probably these untidy entries will have to be done again - remember how long it took Amazon to even begin to sort out the mess around searching for classical music, still a mess by the way. Finally, IMO composer data should also be avaialble for all the pop/jazz entries - logically enough it is something you would search on.

I think they built in problems which the iTunes and amazon examples should have taught them to avoid. Those companies had some excuse perhaps, back in the day, but I think Spotify missed an opportunity to get it right.

Edited by David Ayers