What are you listening to on Lala, Spotify, last.fm and Deezer?

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny Griffin, The Congregation ^_^

Well, I'm not claiming a monopoly! :)

Tried to identify the trio before looking it up. Thought the drummer was Philly Joe, but it's someone called Kenny Dennis!

if you'd guessed kenny dennis i'd be heavily impressed (iirc he did record some more.. maybe with mal waldron?) always a bit disappointed by that album in comparison with the kerry dancers or night lady for instance...

Tried to identify the rest of the section after your posts. Good guess on Chamber but I would have said unsatisfiedly Jones at the piano.

Next : Leapin' and Lopin' - Sonny Clark

Dennis, Kenny [Kenneth Carl] (Philadelphia, 27 May 1930)

He played with Earl Bostic (1953), the organist Jackie Davis (1954), and Erroll Garner (1955), then performed and recorded with Sonny Stitt (1956-7) and Billy Taylor (1957, 1959). As a freelance player in New York he worked occasionally with Thelonious Monk, and made recordings with Johnny Griffin, Sonny Rollins (both 1957), and Mal Waldron (Mal 4, 1958, New Jazz 8208). He also recorded an album of jazz and poetry with Charles Mingus and Langston Hughes and took part in a session with Miles Davis and Michel Legrand (both 1958). In 1960 he moved to Los Angeles, where he accompanied Lena Horne, recorded with the pianist Marvin Jenkins and Roy Ayers (both 1963), and performed and recorded with his wife, Nancy Wilson (1963-4). By 1965 he had ceased to perform professionally.

The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, © Macmillan Reference Ltd 1988

Celebrity Biography

Kenneth Davis is currently single. He has been in one celebrity relationship averaging approximately 8.9 years. His only marriage lasted 8.9 years.

Most Famous For: Ex spouse of Nancy Wilson

:lol:

Now we've got everything except his grandmother's maiden name! :lol:

P.S. Who's this Kenneth Davis? I thought we were discussing Kenny Dennis! Or is this Name Three People!

Celebrity Biography

Kenneth Davis is currently single. He has been in one celebrity relationship averaging approximately 8.9 years. His only marriage lasted 8.9 years.

Most Famous For: Ex spouse of Nancy Wilson

:lol:

Now we've got everything except his grandmother's maiden name! :lol:

P.S. Who's this Kenneth Davis? I thought we were discussing Kenny Dennis! Or is this Name Three People!

Can't even found back the page I mention! :blink:

OK, now i got it, my google-fu did not betray me :ph34r:

http://www.famoushookups.com/site/relation...&relid=7048

I did not even realize the name was different ... but I think it is their mistake. It shows how fast mistakes can be spread out!

Tubby Hayes quartet in scandinavia

That was a great find on Spotify! How fluent Tubbs was by that stage (1972), although some of the old fire had perhaps gone. And the Scandinavian rhythm section gave him a technically accomplished backing that he didn't often find in Britain a decade before.

Woody Herman and His Orchestra 1956

Still listening to this compendium of Herman tracks, recorded live at the Lagoon in Salt Lake City, the band in very good form. Two points of particular interest to me: Britain's finest export, Victor Feldman, featured on vibes on quite a few numbers. Could this have been his first recording date in the US? And Randy's Dad is on this one, tho' I'm insufficiently knowledgeable to distinguish Arno's solos from the two other Four Brothers-style tenorists on the date, Richie Kamuca and Bob Hardaway.

Edited by BillF

41S7SQV66DL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

My favourite band when I first started buying records in 1970. By the time this came out I'd given up of them. So Spotify gave me the chance to hear if there was anything there I'd missed.

Clearly not! They always suffered from being too democratic, so you always got songs that were completely devoid of melodic interest or were near nursery rhymes (how they got their reputation for being profound sages still amazes me!). On this album the weak material dominates. Except for one beautiful song called 'Driftwood' that I half recall as a single. Not surpringly by Justin Hayward who was always their best songwriter, singer and a good guitar player too (a very distinctive electric sound).

Yes, Spotify can also be useful to confirm that you did the right thing by ignoring an album!

Ralph Lalama Quartet, Energy Fields

Have been interested in this guy since he stood up in the Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra at the Wigan Jazz Festival in 1989 and took a solo that blew me away. You can hear the sort of thing I mean on "Lester Left Town" on the Orch's Soft Lights and Hot Music.

Earl Anderza - Outa Sight

three hours in the uk and i got spotify working... detailed comparison with deezer will follow in the next few days... ;)

Welcome to the UK, Nico! Access to Spotify is one of the few things it's got to recommend it these days! Still, I guess you'll get a good deal for your euros!