Jackie McLean "One Step Beyond" RVG

whiskeycat

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least this explains why I have been unable to get the new RVG from any local or other European retailer. Even Amazon Germany and Amazon UK are not shipping it and do not list an availability date. Seems the faulty version never made it to the European market.

However, all this talk has made me slightly paranoid, so I will now check my two TOCJs (4137 and 6609) for mastering problems...

I'm still waiting to hear something from Blue Note on how they will be handling replacement discs. I check their site every few days and there is no information on this to be found anywhere.

If anyone has any updated info on a replacement disc or how Blue Note is handling this, please let us know! I'm still eagerly awaiting my first flawless copy of "One Step Beyond".

My McMaster version has the same problem. The booklet is dated 1987 but the cd is dated 1995. Are we sure Blue Note even manufactured any correct copies?

An additional comment on the sound: My McMaster version sounds fine but Ghost Town sounds excellent, superior to the other cuts.

Edited by TedR

I'm not that familiar with Collector's Choice other than as a retailer. Interestingly the One Step Beyond Blue Note looks just like the Conn. Series cds I own. Only difference is the One Step Beyond cd has "1995 Capitol Records, Inc. Manufactured by Capitol Records"printed on the cd. My 1995 Conns have "Blue Note is a registered trademark of Capitol Records, Inc." in addition to the above. So how can I identify Collector's Choice Blue Notes?

I have a few 1987 Blue Note cds that have "1987 Manhattan Records, A division of Capitol Records, Inc" printed on the cd.

Edited by TedR

At least this explains why I have been unable to get the new RVG from any local or other European retailer. Even Amazon Germany and Amazon UK are not shipping it and do not list an availability date. Seems the faulty version never made it to the European market.

I have to correct myself here... the faulty RVG edition is also on the EU market. I just received a copy of the EU edition as a birthday present - same problem as the one described here. Let's see if I ever get a replacement for it.

I have to correct myself here... the faulty RVG edition is also on the EU market. I just received a copy of the EU edition as a birthday present - same problem as the one described here. Let's see if I ever get a replacement for it.

I'm still waiting for a replacement of the 1995 edition, so don't hold your breath! ;)

I'm not that familiar with Collector's Choice other than as a retailer. Interestingly the One Step Beyond Blue Note looks just like the Conn. Series cds I own. Only difference is the One Step Beyond cd has "1995 Capitol Records, Inc. Manufactured by Capitol Records"printed on the cd. My 1995 Conns have "Blue Note is a registered trademark of Capitol Records, Inc." in addition to the above. So how can I identify Collector's Choice Blue Notes?

I have a few 1987 Blue Note cds that have "1987 Manhattan Records, A division of Capitol Records, Inc" printed on the cd.

The collector's Choice cd's can be identified, like you said, with 1995 date on the disc and the original cd issue date on the tray card, which don't usually match. They were also issued with white trays (like the 1994 Conn's).

It took over 3 weeks, but Blue Note finally decided to add my review of the new "One Step Beyond" RVG on their website. I have to think between all the chatter on this board, the addition of my review (which mentions the error), etc., that they are working on fixing the mistake (and possibly the sound quality?) and we'll find out about a replacement disc soon. This could be wishful thinking, though!

http://bluenote.com/ArtistDiscography.aspx...e=5099926513928

If we take stock of BN quality control (Booby Hutcherson, Retouched Cover to Come, mistake with Freddie Redd's Shades of Redd BN logo on the RVG booklet, Dialogue remaster error, etc, etc...) Are we really surprised that BN has not addressed or seemingly not even ackowledged a mistake with OSB? :rolleyes:<_<

If we take stock of BN quality control (Booby Hutcherson, Retouched Cover to Come, mistake with Freddie Redd's Shades of Redd BN logo on the RVG booklet, Dialogue remaster error, etc, etc...) Are we really surprised that BN has not addressed or seemingly not even ackowledged a mistake with OSB? :rolleyes:<_<

Oh, man...I forgot about the "Booby Hutcherson" in my copy of Grant Green's "Idle Moments". Looks like I have two RVG's with mistakes. At least that one was kind of funny, in a sophomoric way, and didn't affect the music.

Yes, but maybe instead of focusing on all the stuff they got wrong, we should all stop to think of all the stuff they have done right, 5 baddies out of how many goodies???

Edited by Cliff Englewood

Yes, but maybe instead of focusing on all the stuff they got wrong, we should all stop to think of all the stuff they have done right, 5 baddies out of how many goodies???

I'd agree on most counts, but some of these errors are blatently bad, like printing old covers for the RVG series with "retouched cover to come" on it??? Someone is definitely not looking when this stuff is in the final stages.

If we take stock of BN quality control (Booby Hutcherson, Retouched Cover to Come, mistake with Freddie Redd's Shades of Redd BN logo on the RVG booklet, Dialogue remaster error, etc, etc...)

There's also a version of Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch with part of the original liner notes missing... this was corrected with subsequent pressings, but it's still poor quality control.

However, all this talk has made me slightly paranoid, so I will now check my two TOCJs (4137 and 6609) for mastering problems...

Finally got around to check this...

It seems the Japanese are better at quality control and at figuring out how to index this CD. Both TOCJ-4137 and TOCJ-6609 are indexing the tracks correctly, but both have the same slight drop-out in sound quality around 4:08 in "Blue Rondo" as the new RVG. Methinks this is an issue with the original master tape.