Fourth Blindfold Test?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be with y'all shortly. I got a turntable supposed to be in either late this week or early next. This week is hectic here at home, but I think next week will be calmer, so plans should begin to come into focus then.

One question up front - is there mass adamant opposition to a test that runs longer than a single CD-R?

Well, number one, it increases all costs for both you and your assistants.

And, I think it puts us on that slippery slope to the Organissimo Box Set Blindfold Test :g

But seriously, I do think that a line should be drawn somewhere, and keeping things to a single disc forces the compiler to make choices and review and re-review the choices and I think that's a good thing.

And, I think it puts us on that slippery slope to the Organissimo Box Set Blindfold Test :g

But seriously, I do think that a line should be drawn somewhere, and keeping things to a single disc forces the compiler to make choices and review and re-review the choices and I think that's a good thing.

The costs would be all mine. All assistants would be reimbursed.

The reason I ask, is that I havw a LOT of good BT test material that runs in the 9-12 minute range, and could do a really good job with a 90 minute or so test. But if the desire is to keep it to a single disc, I can certainly stay within that parameter. I got stuff that works that way too. ;)

And, I think it puts us on that slippery slope to the Organissimo Box Set Blindfold Test   :g

The costs would be all mine. All assistants would be reimbursed.

The reason I ask, is that I havw a LOT of good BT test material that runs in the 9-12 minute range, and could do a really good job with a 90 minute or so test. But if the desire is to keep it to a single disc, I can certainly stay within that parameter. I got stuff that works that way too. ;)

I remembered this one:

Bring it on! Give the people what you want them to hear!

:tup  :tup  :tup  :tup  :tup

I'd agree with your other self and say it's up to you!

If Sangry's picking up most of the costs (and all of the 'extra' costs of doing two discs, over one), then I say a double-disc is fine by me (even with 70+ minutes on each disc).

If Jim's paying for the media and the postage, I say - fill the discs to the brim!!!

When I do my own Blindfold Test CD, I plan to include a couple full-disc goodies as bonus material. They won't be part of the test itself, but rather some gray-market live material that I would like to have discussed as an Album of the Week. And as long as I'm dropping my dime(s) for postage, I figure it doesn't cost that much more to include three discs (in my case), as one. (Three discs = one Blindfold Disc, plus a double-CD "AOTW").

My point is, as long as Jim's picking up the extra expenses - then if he wants to do two CD's of material, then go for it!!! (And I want 70+ minute discs too.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I see what Dan is saying, but I also think we're all flexible enough to let the test leaders make these sorts of decisions and do their thing.

BTW, no matter how much music is included, some people will have guesses for all (or at least most) of the tracks; some will pick out certain tracks to guess at; and some (for example, 13 out of 34 people who received my disc) will not participate.

...and some (for example, 13 out of 34 people who received my disc) will not participate.

Speaking of which, I didn't have the extra time last month to post in the thread, although I have listened to and enjoyed the disc very much. Sorry, Jim R!

And I'd be happy to help out with the burning and shipping for number 4, Jim Sangrey. Please let me know!

some (for example, 13 out of 34 people who received my disc) will not participate.

Myself included... :w

But in my case (and, I suspect, others' as well) this can be a product of unforseen time constraints, rather than the length of material.

Throw my hat in the ring as saying 2 discs is fine; I've really enjoyed this and think it should be up to the compiler.

Oh jeez ... where is this going to end ??? :rolleyes:

I really know how hard it is picking material for only one disc, I could easily fill three of them - considering we all are at it about once in two or three years, it is reasonable - so I'd say go ahead Jim!!! :tup Any distributor in the old world needed?

It might be a good idea to set up a separate topic for each disk, identified clearly by the same name that is on the disk. Then the busiest of us could comment on disk one now, and disk two a couple days later without being inundated with clues about disk two.

I like it because compilers don't have to omit that absolutely awesome eighteen minute track due to time constraints.

I say it's Jim's choice, though I agree with Dan that this could get out of hand.

Man, I wish I had a cd burner so I could compile a disc for everyone myself. I'll talk to my brother in law about it. Perhaps he could help me with a burner and teach me the technology down the road. In the meantime, I'll listen to everyone else's favorite obscure music and sit on my hands! ;)

Gotta admit though that I have trepidation over Jim's selections. His knowledge of jazz is great and I won't likely be able to recognize a single track. Go easy on us, Jim. Please..... :rsmile:

My vote goes for as many discs as the one in charge wants to do. I do think that the first disc should be the main disc of discussion with, as mentioned earlier, the additional disc(s) in a separate thread perhaps.

I won't likely be able to recognize a single track. Go easy on us, Jim. Please

I'll second that.

Count me in if there is room for the clueless :g

My vote goes for as many discs as the one in charge wants to do. I do think that the first disc should be the main disc of discussion with, as mentioned earlier, the additional disc(s) in a separate thread perhaps.

I won't likely be able to recognize a single track. Go easy on us, Jim. Please

I'll second that.

Count me in if there is room for the clueless :g

Lots of room, knife; too much room in fact as everyone else here seems to be as sharp as razors when it comes to identifying songs.

Jim, howsabout a kind of idiot disc for knife and myself?? :lol: You know, full of easily itentifiable stuff from Blue Note's classic period. No Three Sounds though; all their songs sound alike and we wouldn't be able to locate the title without listening to the whole library!!

Just kidding, baby BRING IT ON!! :bwallace:

No need for anybody to worry. I'm planning on including selections of nearly every level of "difficulty". There wil be some that almost everybody should get, and some that maybe nobody will get.

My "plan", such as it is, is to use the test to expose musicians that I think more people might have an interest in if they only knew about them, AND to present musicians that are fairly well-known in such a way that you, the listener, will be forced to "think outside the box" of the usual stereotypes of these players and focus on the individual sound of the player rather than coast along on overall context. You want a theme upfront? There is is - "People You Probably Know In A Way You Might Not Expect, & People Who You Might Not Know But Might Want To, Approximately". Dylan would be proud.

There will be some attempted mindfucking, but it's not going to be a "hey, I so damn hip look at what I got!" kinda way. Any "tricks" will be done for the purpose of focusing on a musical point. Don't worry about if I'm a musician and you're not. Big whoop. This ain't gonna be no theory class, ok? It's going to be about LISTENING, and enjoying. Nothing more. Hopefully, what you find out you know, or don't know, will help clarify where you do or don't want to go in your future musical explorations, in terms of both specific artists, and, maybe, in how you go about listening.

There will be music to please most every taste, and there will be music to offend most every taste. But I'm not trying to change anybody's mind. I'm just trying to get some stuff out there to give y'all a taste of some stuff you might not know about. I'm not Mister Au Courant by any means, but as some of you all have been kind enough to say, I have a musical base that is both broad and deep. I'm nowhere near being as broad or as deep as some, but I'm working on that, and hopefully, some of y'all are too. Whatever "knowledge" I have (and it's debatable if I truly have ANY), didn't come all at once, it came by constantly keeping an open ear and an open mind and paying attention whenever somebody knew about something that I didn't have a clue about.

More to come. It's going to take a few weeks to get the music and distribution together, but I'm looking forward to sharing some of my favorite pleasures with y'all. Let's have some BIG fun with this!

I would like to participate, too. I was rather hesitant, because I don't have the possibility to burn CDrs myself, and won't be able to buy equipment in the coming months... but reading the above comments, and understanding that others do participate without being able to make burns either, I'd like to humbly get part of the Blindfold No. 4.

ubu

I´d like to take part in Blindfold Test #4 as well. I´m not sure if I´ll be able to contribute anything of interest (there are dozens of members who own much more knowledge on jazz than I do), but it´ll be fun, anyway.

I could collaborate on CDR-ing and distributing in old Europe, if needed!

Guess I should send my address to somebody.... Jim??? The main distributor in Europe???