LF: Sinatra/Jobim

mr jazz

All of the Reprise-era Sinatra CDs are OOP, at least in the US - this was a byproduct of the deal the Sinatra family struck with Warner in 2007. The charitable interpretation is that they intend to eventually rerelease the Reprise titles in improved versions. The uncharitable interpretation is that what Sinatra fans have to look forward to is an endless series of themed compilations like the recent "Seduction - Sinatra Sings of Love" CD or last year's "Nothing But The Best" disc.

Given the changes in the music industry, the economics of physical product, and the manner in which the Reprise discs went OOP (there are claims that they were actually pulled from stores, as opposed to the distributor removing them from availablility for new orders), I'd say that if you want any of these CDs and happen to run across them, you'd do well to grab them while you can.

This is one of our favorite cds and my copy has disappeared. It is surprisingly OOP and thus very expensive to replace. Does anyone have one to sell (remastered version) or an extra copy? Thanks

That's odd, unless I'm very much mistaken it's quite common over this side of the pond, I'll have a look...

Thanks!!

This is one of our favorite cds and my copy has disappeared. It is surprisingly OOP and thus very expensive to replace. Does anyone have one to sell (remastered version) or an extra copy? Thanks

That's odd, unless I'm very much mistaken it's quite common over this side of the pond, I'll have a look...

Thanks!!

Looks like I was wrong, I had a quick look around town and all they had were "Best Of" type collections and I also saw this;

51RAcYr1MtL._SS500_.jpg

which is basically 'Songs for Young Lovers', 'Songs for Swinging Lovers' and 'In the Wee Small Hours' very, very cheaply, it's available on Amazon.co.uk for £4.98!!! I think it was around €10 in Tower. Which pretty much confirms what was in the article that ghost of miles linked.

Anyway, all is not lost, I've sent you a PM.

I have the Reprise "Suitcase" and I can burn a CD recreating the album from the songs in the Suitcase, if you wish. That'll tide you until you find yourself a copy. Send me a PM if interested.

I wish Nancy and Company would shake off the straitjacket and start issuing the Reprise albums as remastered discs with out-takes.

My favorite Sinatra albums are the BOOTLEGS (ya hear that "Keepers of the Flame") with the false starts and alternative takes, comparing them to the final version is fun.

Just a small side story. I have a 2 lp set (A Man and His Music) in a "Special Limited Edition". The regular lp set is enclosed in an imitation leather, box with a silver, embossed insert on the front and a 24 page booklet is enclosed. The back has a card stating "This album is number 1598" and it is signed by Sinatra. Wonder if Nancy needs a copy?

Speaking of the Reprise cds, although I have the studio box, I lost the Sinatra/Basie at the Sands cd. As a lark I checked my local store a couple of weeks ago and there it was, brand new! (of course I snatched it up)

I checked this weekend to see if they had the Sinatra/Jobim, but no luck. For me, it is one of best Sinatra albums and brings back many happy memories of listening to it with my father and uncle late at night.

Speaking of the Reprise cds, although I have the studio box, I lost the Sinatra/Basie at the Sands cd. As a lark I checked my local store a couple of weeks ago and there it was, brand new! (of course I snatched it up)

I checked this weekend to see if they had the Sinatra/Jobim, but no luck. For me, it is one of best Sinatra albums and brings back many happy memories of listening to it with my father and uncle late at night.

The second Sinatra/Jobim album was never released in its entirety on LP (although a few 8-tracks made their way out and command big bucks).

7 of the 10 tracks appeared on the Sinatra and Company album. The remaining 3 tracks showed up on the Reprise box but nowhere else, AFAIK.

I have a book called Songs By Sinatra where the author recreates the "lost" Sinatra Jobim album the way Reprise wanted it. I burned a CD of it- sounds pretty good.

The second Sinatra/Jobim album was never released in its entirety on LP (although a few 8-tracks made their way out and command big bucks).

7 of the 10 tracks appeared on the Sinatra and Company album. The remaining 3 tracks showed up on the Reprise box but nowhere else, AFAIK.

I have a book called Songs By Sinatra where the author recreates the "lost" Sinatra Jobim album the way Reprise wanted it. I burned a CD of it- sounds pretty good.

Wasn't the official version of the album only a stingy 28 minutes or so? Seems especially stingy given how much material they had in the hopper.

• 5 months later...