help me choose a phono preamp

jazzhound

Can't get off the mark picking a phono preamp since I haven't had the opportunity to audition any.

Can spend up to $1500, but 500 to 1k range would be better, used or new. If anyone can recommend one they have heard or own, please post.

thanks.

Oh yea, I am using a high output moving coil cart, Goldring Eroica, and don't expect to move to a low output cartdrige.

Get a BAT VK-P5 or VK-P10...nothing's better.

thanks Dmitry..... what other preamps have you heard before coming to your conclusion?

Is the bottom end nice and tight?

My man, it's all that and more.

EAR, GRADO,Monolithic PS-1[still have it. quite good for $350, but no match for the P5].

Of course the P10 is a reference phono stage and a bit more than your spending amt, but read up on the P5. It's a keeper.

I can highly recommend the Naim phono stages either the stage line or the prefix (more expensive). Both of them come with power supply options, which can be upgraded (the most expensive is about US$3500 for the power supply alone!). However, with the cheapest ps option, they should be within your price range. They also come in different versions depending on your cartidge loading.

I'm using the prefix with the supercap power supply on my Linn LP12. The prefix is a tiny box smaller than a cigarette box which screwed into the bottom of the TT. This shortens the lead from the tone arm, which is supposedly a good thing because the signal is very low level and can easily pick up interference and noise.

There are also cheaper versions like the Rega Fono.

Rgds

• 4 years later...

I can highly recommend the Naim phono stages either the stage line or the prefix (more expensive). Both of them come with power supply options, which can be upgraded (the most expensive is about US$3500 for the power supply alone!). However, with the cheapest ps option, they should be within your price range. They also come in different versions depending on your cartidge loading.

I'm using the prefix with the supercap power supply on my Linn LP12. The prefix is a tiny box smaller than a cigarette box which screwed into the bottom of the TT. This shortens the lead from the tone arm, which is supposedly a good thing because the signal is very low level and can easily pick up interference and noise.

There are also cheaper versions like the Rega Fono.

Rgds

Just demo-ing the new Naim Superline phono stage and it's fantastic. Anyone with a Naim pre-amp, an MC cartridge and a deck such as LP12 with decent arm should seriously consider this one. Knocks the Stageline for six, great little product that the Stageline is.

Unlike Prefix you don't need to fiddle about with installing it inside the deck. It's quite a big unit which can sit next to the deck and connects to it via BNC plugs. Power supply options include Hi-Cap (I'm using this) and Supercap (reputedly astonishing).

You need to adjust the loading via use of resistive and capacitive plugs. At the moment I'm using a 'stock' resistive plug which isn't optimally matched for my Dynavector cartridge and the results are still great. A winner from the boys in Salisbury ! :tup

Edited by sidewinder

If you go with used you could get an Audio Research PH 3 in your range price. As most of AR stuff, PH 3 has a well balanced sound, not too sweet, not too hard, even if it's definitely "HIGH DEFINITION" as they claim on their gears, big soundstage. I love their stuff.

You could get a Linn Linto too.

If you go with used you could get an Audio Research PH 3 in your range price. As most of AR stuff, PH 3 has a well balanced sound, not too sweet, not too hard, even if it's definitely "HIGH DEFINITION" as they claim on their gears, big soundstage. I love their stuff.

Welcome back Porcy. :) Yeah, I'm aware of some of those options. Superline sounds special though - and the synergy with the rest of the Naim kit is an extra incentive. Would love to hear this thing powered by Supercap instead of Hi-Cap too.

From what I gather, it's a significant improvement on the Linto.

superline_open.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

Welcome back Porcy. :) Yeah, I'm aware of some of those options. Superline sounds special though - and the synergy with the rest of the Naim kit is an extra incentive. Would love to hear this thing powered by Supercap instead of Hi-Cap too.

From what I gather, it's a significant improvement on the Linto.

superline_open.jpg

Thanks.

About the topic, if I were looking for a phono amp, as actually I am, I would look for the best match cartdrige/phono stage, so if I have a Dynavector I'll look for a Dynavector phono stage, OR one phono stage that has adjustable loading, gain, etc.

The problem with such "specialized" stuff is that hardly you can audition them and I am not happy to tear apart with my $$$$ without a serious listening.

Yes, the matching is crucial. Superline is only OK with MC cartridges and matches very well with the top Dynavectors/Aro (unlike Stageline 'S' for example) using just the resistive plugs. I believe 'special' plug 453® is the one to go for. :excited: Cartridges like Akiva seem to like some capacitance.

You get a bag of standard resistive and capacitive plugs to match with your setup but in my case the 'special' will be required to optimally load, although 500® works pretty well.

Edited by sidewinder

• 12 years later...
On 11/6/2003 at 10:41 AM, Dmitry said:

Get a BAT VK-P5 or VK-P10...nothing's better.

Well, it's 17 years later, and I finally changed my mind. There are so many phono stages on the market now, that going with the unit I suggested is not very productive, considering the gain adjustments, cartridge loading, etc. can only be made by removing the cover, and playing with the various switches. The BAT VK-P5 can now be had for under a $1000 on the used circuit. i wish the manufacturer had put these switches on the back of the unit, and not inside the box. i was just hyping the unit then, I guess, because I don't remember what made me recommend it. I'm sure it sounds excellent.

The current production very versatile Parasound Halo JC 3 Jr. is a "budget" favorite, at about $1400 new, and possibly even less. Like the BAT, and many other phono stages, it accommodates the inputs from only one tonearm, and if you have two turntables or two tonearms on the same table [discussed recently in the MONO thread], you'll need to switch the cables every time you are listening to a record on another machine. Either that, or do what I did, and purchase a phono selector switch specifically designed for RCA phono cables, like the one made by Rek-o-Kut, which is what I'm using

Also, I'd wager that any reputable manufacturer's preamplifier with MM and MC phono preamp section will do well for most listeners.

23 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Interesting to see this ancient thread again !   I’m still using the Naim Superline - these days with 453R cryo load and powered by a Naim Supercap. Very happy with it. Input connections from the deck are BNC.

Since the first time I laid my eyes on it, I've liked the look of Naim gear, with military-grade, drab-colored housings, and simple, no frills interfaces, a total opposite of McIntosh, which is what I run. The little magnetic puck you'd put on the cd spindle, the cd tray that you need to open and close by hand...terrific. My best bud has one of these.

I’ve run Naim kit for over 30 years now and been delighted with them. My first system was actually bought in North America, where they are a bit of a niche player. 

One of the best things about them is that their superb factory over here can support all of their legacy products with repairs - even the older CD transports - and offer a recap service for their amps, which is a must really after 10 years or so for those big electrolytics. As a result, I can still run a power amp of theirs which is about 40 years old !

These days most of their housings are full sized and not the ‘shoe box’ style of their earlier offerings. Those small units and their styling is getting increasingly trendy and in demand though, as a retro look. The latest amps though still continue to offer just volume and balance, no tone controls and definitely no loudnesss switch.

Edited by sidewinder

That's pretty nice that they support their products this way. McIntosh does as well, although I wouldn't bet that they still repair the 30 year old cd players. One other  thing I liked about Naim is that their gear is low profile in terms of sizing. This must go a long way in the smaller European apartments. I've never heard their speakers though.

Naim did previously have a strong speaker presence but these days they concentrate on the electronics. They are part of a larger group with Focal, with Focal now concentrating on the speaker side.

On the CD side, Naim’s policy has been to stockpile laser transports to cover support for their fielded top end CD units. Some of the units from 30 years ago with the earlier Philips units are no longer replaceable but the slightly later vintage definitely are. My older player of vintage circa 2000 had a new transport and firmware upgrade some years ago and is still going strong.

Their ‘classic’ kit is actually on the larger size - and also tends to result in quite a lot of separate power supplies after upgrades so you can fill up a couple of racks very easily ! Not ideal for small living spaces. They also offer a more compact range of integrated kit which works well for compact spaces. 

Edited by sidewinder