50th anniversary Kind of Blue

Elmo

I guess it's now in the public domain in Europe too. Wonder how quickly there will be non-authorized editions on the market.

they've done Birth of the Cool and Miles Ahead by now (didn't check the other labels, but JazzTrack and that other one with identical layout but different name are the most likely candidates for such "straight" reissues, it seems - it's them that did "Ellington Indigos" and "A Drum Is a Woman", too, as well as some others - here's what CDUniverse carries these days).

JazzTrack: http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/catalogue...mp;label_id=180

JazzBeat: http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/catalogue...mp;label_id=159

It's sad that they get away with that, but one party that is to blame big time are the retailers. If they keep buying and selling all that stuff while not having the original editions in their shops, how should the customers know? One example: the woman whom I consider the most knowledgeable person jazz-wise in town, she ordered Nat Cole's "After Midnight" sessions for a friend, and he ended up with this pirate version, which they've also had in their stock before, while the EMI/Capitol disc is still around - and in fact turned up multiple times in a Blue Note/Capitol sale that started a month later at the very same store...)

JazzTrack: http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/catalogue...mp;label_id=180

JazzBeat: http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/catalogue...mp;label_id=159

It's sad that they get away with that, but one party that is to blame big time are the retailers. If they keep buying and selling all that stuff while not having the original editions in their shops, how should the customers know? One example: the woman whom I consider the most knowledgeable person jazz-wise in town, she ordered Nat Cole's "After Midnight" sessions for a friend, and he ended up with this pirate version, which they've also had in their stock before, while the EMI/Capitol disc is still around - and in fact turned up multiple times in a Blue Note/Capitol sale that started a month later at the very same store...)

Unlimited edition with an unlimited supply?

Goodbyye E - M - I !!

(whatever heppened to rebellion...*sigh*)

;)

I guess it's now in the public domain in Europe too. Wonder how quickly there will be non-authorized editions on the market.

they've done Birth of the Cool and Miles Ahead by now (didn't check the other labels, but JazzTrack and that other one with identical layout but different name are the most likely candidates for such "straight" reissues, it seems - it's them that did "Ellington Indigos" and "A Drum Is a Woman", too, as well as some others - here's what CDUniverse carries these days).

The 2 Ellingtons aren't actually "straight re-issues". A Drum is a Woman has never been released as a cd by Sony in the US and the Jazztrack edition includes one extra cut that was never on the original Lp. The "Indigos" is titled "The Complete Ellington Indigos" and as someone else on this board said, Sony should have done it themselves.

The 2 Ellingtons aren't actually "straight re-issues". A Drum is a Woman has never been released as a cd by Sony in the US and the Jazztrack edition includes one extra cut that was never on the original Lp. The "Indigos" is titled "The Complete Ellington Indigos" and as someone else on this board said, Sony should have done it themselves.

Yes, those were bad examples I confess, but these may be the reissues best known from these otherwise pretty useless label(s).