Why not more LIVE/location BN-Lps????

take Hank Mobley for instance, why in the world not?????!??!?!??

Blue note def. did SOME live lps, Kenny Burrell, Blakey, J.O.S, Lee morgan in 1970...but why not MORE

the radio to location dates /to/ rvg studio albums is WAY OFF KILTER//

i dont care of blue note was primiarliy a studio operation, why didnt they, will ALLllllllllllllll the lps they released, didn't do more location shots///

lets lets all the known bn live lps here! oooooooooo lets have a separete list for UNRELEASED ones!!!

Blue note def. did SOME live lps, Kenny Burrell, Blakey, J.O.S, Lee morgan in 1970...but why not MORE

the radio to location dates /to/ rvg studio albums is WAY OFF KILTER// !

Maybe out of kilter, but just out of my own modest racks, live stuff also from Kenny Dorham, Horace Silver, Lonnie Smith, Grant Green, Jimmy Smith.

If I said that Lion was a "control freak", that would probably have negative connotations where none are intended, so let's say that A) Lion had very high "quality control" standards in terms of clean heads, etc. & that B) the nature of so many BN recordings often being a goodly amount of new material,the more controlled environs of the studio was more likely to give Lion the results desired by A).

But that is just a hunch.

If I said that Lion was a "control freak", that would probably have negative connotations where none are intended, so let's say that A) Lion had very high "quality control" standards in terms of clean heads, etc. & that B) the nature of so many BN recordings often being a goodly amount of new material,the more controlled environs of the studio was more likely to give Lion the results desired by A).

But that is just a hunch.

OTOH, Lion pioneered club recordings. I think he was tired of the trouble, lack of control and union contracts in the end. The union in NYC and most urban areas was strong then.

Local 42 had different rules/scales for live vs recordings?

I recall reading in a Zappa bio that when the union found out (just before the band went on) that a show was being recorded for radio and TV, the union rep demanded their scale for broadcast work, instead of performance/sound reinforcement. It was $9000 EACH extra from Zappa, the radio, and the TV people ($27,000), or they would pull the plug. They got the money, but that is why Zappa refused to play in NY for many years.

As for live Blue Notes, I recently purchased Donald Byrd at the Half Note.

Local 42 had different rules/scales for live vs recordings?

.... when the union found out (just before the band went on).....

What union are you referring to? Musicians'? 'Cause I could tell you tales about IATSE when trying to record in a union hall... :( (IATSE is the stage hands union...)

I guess i misunderstood, i thought the union being referred to was the electricical or stagehands, which may be the same union. Upon rereading jsngry's post, i realised he was referring to the musician's local. My post refers to a story in "the Real Zappa Book", an 'as told to' Bio. I have worked with electrical, projection, and stagehand unions in Chicago. (I am not bashing unions, i am in IBEW)