Melody Gardot - check her out.

mikelz777

[Disclaimer: No, I'm not some label hack trying to dish up and sell the latest warmed-over turd.]

I'm not much of a vocalist kind of guy but the right sound can turn my head. I had never heard of Melody Gardot before running across this video but I think she sounds like someone who is compelling enough to at least check out. I just ordered her first CD ("Worrisome Heart") and I'm looking forward to giving it a listen. She's got an interesting backstory.

Check out her story and music on the video:

http://wimp.com/musicalgirl/

Edited by mikelz777

• 3 months later...

"No, I'm not some label hack trying to dish up and sell the latest warmed-over turd"

not that there's anything wrong with that -

Got her latest cd, it sounds a little too pretty, sometimes she sounds a little like a very tame Amy Winehouse and on other tracks like Norah Jones.

I would not buy it again!

Maybe we should start a thread about vocalists who sound like Norah Jones. I just came across this one on Amazon:

51OPxhKoeOL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Diane Birch

As the first reviewer notes, "Diane Birch is reminiscent of Norah Jones and Ella Fitzgerald in a way that works without trying too hard." Of course, that could just be her mother writing.

"No, I'm not some label hack trying to dish up and sell the latest warmed-over turd"

not that there's anything wrong with that -

Got her latest cd, it sounds a little too pretty, sometimes she sounds a little like a very tame Amy Winehouse and on other tracks like Norah Jones.

I would not buy it again!

Her 1st CD is better IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the first one was pleasant, but . . . I'm probably going to unload it, doesn't seem to have staying power with me. I'll pass on this new one.

I bought her two CDs (they were on sale on Amazon for like $8 each), nice purchase, decent arrangements, good tunes. I think she has more substance, bite and thickness in her voice than Norah Jones, whose voice is just plain ol' thin and brittle.