Miles Davis At Carnegie Hall 1961 Reissues

Shrdlu

Not at all new. Amazon has two versions of this 2 CD set, 1998 and 2001, both American releases.

Does anyone know which of these sounds better (if that can be decided, lol)? I wonder why they would put out a new version, so soon after the other one.

Thanks in advance for comments.

Thanks, Chuck. I saw that too, but when I looked into it, they both turned out to be U.S. releases.

I'm guessing that these are one and the same. Websites like Amazon and Allmusic are not noted for their accuracy.

By the way, I am used to the original LP, but have never gotten around to hearing the rest of the material.

Some of the Amazon reviewers moan about the sound, but I don't recall the LP sounding bad.

For me, the main attraction was "So What", with stunning solos by Miles, Hank and Wynton.

Mobley has some stunning moments there (on Pfrancing I think? Or was it Oleo?), and the rhythm section really smokes!

Also "Concierto de Aranquez" might be even better here than on "Sketches of Spain"! Plus I'm a total sucker for "Teo", that one just smokes, up to the end, and to me, it could go on for ten more minutes!

I always thought it was a shame these 5 CDs worth of Miles with with Mobley - Someday my Prince Will Come, Carmegie Hall and Blackhawk - were not given the same exclusive box set treatment as the material before and after. If they could do the box with Coleman, why not this one?

I always thought it was a shame these 5 CDs worth of Miles with with Mobley - Someday my Prince Will Come, Carmegie Hall and Blackhawk - were not given the same exclusive box set treatment as the material before and after. If they could do the box with Coleman, why not this one?

Yes, true!

I first bought "Someday My Prince Will Come" after all the boxes were out and it was quite clear that the Mobley parts of it would never be on any box... marvellous album! And the material is great, too! (It's 6CDs of live and one of studio material btw, but I guess it would have all fit onto 5-6 CDs in a box-set).

What he's trying to say Aric is. . . it's a jazz orchestra, brass and reeds, no violins.

:)

well, I was posting under the assumption that Aric just mixed things up or forgot... surely he knows this concert, as it includes some of the very best recordings ever made by Mobley! :)

By bringing out the 4 CD set of the Blackhawk material, Columbia destroyed any chance of issuing a 6 or 7 CD box set along the lines of all the other ones. In the case of the Blackhawk set, it's too much of the same thing for me to play all at once. It doesn't keep my attention for very long. If only Philly Joe had been in the group at that time. The electricity that he provided would have made a big difference. But I do like the Carnegie Hall album.

If you get the Blackhawk 4-CD, the Carnegie Hall twofer, and 'Prince', you pretty much have all the official Mobley with Miles, unless there are some out-takes from 'Prince' I don't know about. I'm not really sure there is a need to have this further boxed.

Of course, this is the official stuff. We'll not even get into the 20-CD tree of Mobley with Miles that's circulating.

Bertrand.

If you get the Blackhawk 4-CD, the Carnegie Hall twofer, and 'Prince', you pretty much have all the official Mobley with Miles....

Bertrand.

Right, and FWIW, I think that's plenty. Mobley, IMO, was not an ideal replacement in Miles' band and I think it becomes somewhat apparent on the Blackhawk material. Not to say that Mobley did not play his ass off here and there, just the overall picture is that he just didn't have that edginess that Trane or Shorter brought to the table.

I also wanted to add that I much perfer Mobley's BN's to his stints with Miles, where he plays in settings that were more suited to his compositions and style.

Edited by Holy Ghost

I think I agree with that, H G. Hank's BN sessions are real good.

It was rough on Hank to have to follow Trane with Miles. I'm a tenor player too, and I sure wouldn't have wanted to do that. Mind you, no amount of money would have made me play with Miles. Awesome player and innovator, of course, but personally, ........ (Another difficult guy that I would love to have played with was Monk, though. I can do his repertoire, partly because I worked with a pianist who played opposite Monk for 6 months on tour. Someone once said "How could you play a solo with Monk comping like that behind you?", but I don't see any problem at all.)

After all we have said in this thread, though, Hank was a superb player, and even those Blackhawk recordings are excellent music.

I think I agree with that, H G. Hank's BN sessions are real good.

It was rough on Hank to have to follow Trane with Miles. I'm a tenor player too, and I sure wouldn't have wanted to do that. Mind you, no amount of money would have made me play with Miles. Awesome player and innovator, of course, but personally, ........ (Another difficult guy that I would love to have played with was Monk, though. I can do his repertoire, partly because I worked with a pianist who played opposite Monk for 6 months on tour. Someone once said "How could you play a solo with Monk comping like that behind you?", but I don't see any problem at all.)

After all we have said in this thread, though, Hank was a superb player, and even those Blackhawk recordings are excellent music.

This is assuming, of course, that he would have even bothered to ask if you even wanted to jam.

:lol:

Yeah, I had those Blackhawk LPs when I was first getting into jazz and especially Miles and Trane. I inherited battered originals from my dad, of course. They didn't really hold up, for me, compared to the material with Trane or with Shorter and Coleman. But even then, I still really liked what Mobley was trying to do and sought out his recordings for BN.

I wouldn't mind hearing the material again after all these years.

Good point! Point of the month!

Miles's repertoire in the early 60s has been described as stale in at least one set of liner notes. However, we all know what wonders his various groups were able to perform with that material, the Plugged Nickel date giving probably the most stunning example (just at the point when Miles was about to drop nearly all of those tunes permanently).

It would have been great to hear Miles playing some of those Mobley tunes. After all, he didn't exactly mind playing Wayne's tunes not long afterwards.

It's a pity Hank is not still around, so that we could all give him a hug and let him know how much we appreciate him.