My good deed.................

fasstrack

I don't want to make too big a deal out of this but it's nice when a story has a happy ending. I think I have a right to even crow a bit----just a bit:

I went to the Salvation Army thriftshop in the Boogie Down Bronx, where I (yay!) fromerly lived. I was on the hunt for furniture, tchotchkas, knickknacks----whatever. I saw me an old upright staring me in the face. I was gonna start looking for a piano since I got the OK from my new landlord to have little gatherings---my own gigs and presenting other cats I believe in. The piano, though like the wacky town librarian, Miss Inga Page, was without a few hammers and the sustain pedal MIA, was on sale for $139. You know I grabbed that sucker (actually the price was 25% off---$103....and I'm still chuckling over the fact that it'll cost more----$150---to move the sucker :rsmile: :party::w ).

OK (if you're still awake...): so I notice, a few blessed feet from said piano, a full-assed Hammond organ with bench (alas, no Leslie). Price $169 or some such. I couldn't use it myself, but I checked for a model # on the back (none found, but it turned out to be an A3---which I didn't even know existed! Who even knows how old it is or the history---the frickin' mind boggles...). I went into overdrive telling everyone I could think of who might be interested.

Finally I got a call from my friend Rudy Petschauer---the first guy I called, since he's a veteran organ trio player: his buddy, a good player I'm sure, shot on down there and scooped it up.

I love it when that happens.

THE END

No such thing as an A3. It was either an A, which was the original model, or it was an A100, A101, A102, A103, etc.

If it was the former, it's worth something as a collectable, not necessarily as a performance instrument. If it's the latter, it's basically a B3 with internal speakers and very worthwhile.

As for the piano, I've got two uprights in my garage and one in my house that were all given to me for free. :)

As for the piano, I've got two uprights in my garage and one in my house that were all given to me for free. :)

Good. Then give me one. And include free shipping :party:

And I promise the 1st tune played on it will be Bridge Over Troubled Water. Dedicated to you :P

The 2nd song: The Best Things in Life are Free.....................

If it was the former, it's worth something as a collectable, not necessarily as a performance instrument. If it's the latter, it's basically a B3 with internal speakers and very worthwhile.

I think it was the latter. No Leslie and Rudy mentioned an internal speaker. May these guys will pass through one day and you'll check it out. The guy's name is Alex Smith, I think.

The weird thing is: the back of the instrument was totally blank and bereft of info. Nada. Just ugly blond wood sitting there, looking stupid.

Wait a minute: Sitting there and looking stupid? Maybe I shoudda bought it. Nyuk, nyuk.........