Wouldn't it be nice...

Peter, I put in a faint cry for Calgary in July, for the Jazz Festival here, since that's where I live, but the enthusiasm could have been measured with a micrometer. :D

Any of the other suggested sites sound good to me, since the whole idea is that we all get together and listen to some jazz. They're all just about the same distance for me.

We'll probably have to eat something and sleep somewhere, but for day or two, we can just worry about hangin'. The big thing would be organizing it and getting everybody in one place at the same time. That's why I suggested Lansing, because the Organissimo site is based there, but any of the other two suggested sites [st Louis and Duluth] are fine, if somebody can get it together. Could be a blast, wherever it ends up being held. There is lots of time between now and, say July or so, which means that we should be able to pull it off. Zero in on a place and let it grow from there.

Edited by patricia

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm glad St. Louis is getting some support; the question is, can we do this to coincide with the Jazz Convention? Once again, here're some details from Euclid Records:

JAZZ COLLECTORS TAKE NOTE- The International Association of Jazz Record

Collectors annual convention will be held here in our hometown of St.

Louis, MO, June 16-19. The last two days will be open to the public and will

feature a Jazz and Blues only record and CD convention. We already have

obligations from some of the best record dealers in the U.S. the convention

will also feature live music, Jazz films as well as guest speakers. We'll be

supplying more information as it develops but this will be an event NOT to

miss! For more information about the IAJRC as well as membership info, check

the website at http://www.geocities.com/iajrc/

There'd be lots to do at the convention alone, and St. Louis has its charms as well ...

I would take St. Louis over Duluth any day.

How about Lansing, home of Organissimo??

July is the earliest I can plan to go to a hang. I think that others may have problems with June, since school's still in for some and whether they are teachers, or just have students in their family, July is, IMO, better.

How about Lansing, home of Organissimo??

July is the earliest I can plan to go to a hang. I think that others may have problems with June, since school's still in for some and whether they are teachers, or just have students in their family, July is, IMO, better.

Lansing can't be all that bad. ;)

July is tough for me, I'm in San Diego for a week.

There isn't a whole lot to do in Lansing, tourist wise, but there are some interesting historical tidbits.

Malcolm X lived in Lansing.

Magic Johnson and Burt Reynolds were born there..

Much of the business history is tied to Oldsmobile. Wanna tour an auto factory?

I'm making a case for St. Louis, aren't I? :)

Well, we can arrange a tour at the Bug House!

http://www.ent.msu.edu/bughouse/docs/about.html -_-

Edited by Jim Dye

Yeah, I didn't know either until sometime in the early 90s. Burt came to town to see the house he lived in. It was all over the local news that day. I guess he moved away when he was 4 if I remember correctly. I think the house is around Mt. Hope and Cedar. Not far from Walter French.

I am a Sexton grad. Class of 85.

I didn't know that Malcolm X went to Mason high! His home was near MLK Blvd. (South Logan) not far from Everett HS now.

Edited by Jim Dye

OK. Let's get back to the subject at hand. We're talking about a couple of days, not moving to Lansing, Duluth OR St Louis. Since it's an Organissimo hang, why not have it in Lansing, the home of the web guys. Now, I know it's not St Louis or a particularly big centre, but the idea is to get together with people who also post on this site. What better place, symbolically, than Lansing?? We can always go somewhere else, when we're tourists. It's one, or maybe two days, guys.

Thoughts?? And, who says that there will be only one hang?? This would just be the first one and, I think it would be fitting, if it were in Lansing.

Edited by patricia

If this actually ever does get off the ground, in my mind there's only one place that ought to be considered - Lansing, Michigan - home of Organissimo.

It would, of course, have to be at one of their gigs and would have the potential to be a blast. Imagine hanging out in a club listening to these guys play some kick ass tunes :party: I know there are some musicians on the board - perhaps they could sit in. It has the potential to be one of those nights that has you groovin' into the wee hours, depending of course how long clubs are open in Lansing. ^_^ It would also be a nice way to support live music, the band and the club that hosts them. B)

On a related note:

I met forum member Michel Devos from Brussels yesterday for lunch in Luxembourg. We came into contact because he was looking for an OOP Sonny Criss CD, that I had found here at a local store. We had already planned to meet two weeks earlier in Brussels, but I missed the appointment because I was blocked by protesting animal protectors :rolleyes:

As you can see from his profile, Michel is a classical music recording engineer and a jazz organ fan. He gave me some insights into the current studio technology, the art of recording a Hammond B3 organ and the changing classical music business. We also discussed about our music preferences and the best sources for rare CDs and vinyl in Brussels and online. Michel also recommended the Organissimo CD, which I will order when it's back in stock.

Michel and I plan to meet again, as we both travel a lot between our cities.

If this actually ever does get off the ground, in my mind there's only one place that ought to be considered - Lansing, Michigan - home of Organissimo. 

It would, of course, have to be at one of their gigs and would have the potential to be a blast.  Imagine hanging out in a club listening to these guys play some kick ass tunes  :party:  I know there are some musicians on the board - perhaps they could sit in.  It has the potential to be one of those nights that has you groovin' into the wee hours, depending of course how long clubs are open in Lansing.  ^_^  It would also be a nice way to support live music, the band and the club that hosts them.    B)

Ed,

May I say that you are worth your weight in rubies??

I agree.

The first hang should be in LANSING MICHIGAN and I will come to it, if it is after the end of June and before winter sets in and I have to wear unattractive quilted clothing. We can always have subsequent hangs other places, but the first one should be, as Ed said much more eloquently than I did, in LANSING MICHIGAN.

Thank you Ed.

And Chuck,

You can never have too much money for duct tape. :blink::blink:

Edited by patricia

There's something wrong with a city that's easy to get to, is a major metropolitan area, has a significant jazz history, and is located pretty darn close to the center of the US?

cd1.jpg

Well EXCCUUUUUUUUUSSSEEEE MEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Charming. Your good looks are exceeded only by your lack of basic manners, the smiley indicating that you're just flippin' a kidding bird at us notwithstanding. A bird's a bird and don't make me come over there, to Slowly Rising From The Depths Of Despair, USA and pummel you.;)

However, nobody said that any of the proposed sites for a hang were written in stone. In fact, there is no reason that the gathering of the good people of Organissimo can't take place in the city of YOUR choice, before or after the one in LANSING, which would be a significant symbolic and, I think, fun one.

I assume that you are putting yourself on record wanting the premiere hang to be in St Louis. The bird was not necessary and was a bit of an over-reaction, don't you think??

Edited by patricia

A bit sensitive aren't we???

I just went looking for a Belushi pic to go with the "EXCUUUUUUUUSSEE MEEEEEEEE!" line and happened to find that one.

Do whatever you want whenever and wherever you want. But aside from the supposed symbolism, what possible purpose is served by Lansing?

Think any non North Americans are gonna make it to Lansing? At least they can actually book a flight to St. Louis.