All-jazz issue of WaxPoetics

Will you post again when it hits the newsstands so I remember to go get one. I buy it on occasion but only when the content ratio is more on the Jazz side or artists I am familiar with as its on the expensive side. The Sly Stone, Jimmy Clif and Ahmad Jamal issue was a good one.

Will you post again when it hits the newsstands so I remember to go get one. I buy it on occasion but only when the content ratio is more on the Jazz side or artists I am familiar with as its on the expensive side. The Sly Stone, Jimmy Clif and Ahmad Jamal issue was a good one.

Will do. Yeah, I just picked up #32 myself (the Sly Stone/Jamal); Landlocked hasn't gotten #33 (Philly soul to which Marcello refers) in yet, or else they're sold out.

Will do. Yeah, I just picked up #32 myself (the Sly Stone/Jamal); Landlocked hasn't gotten #33 (Philly soul to which Marcello refers) in yet, or else they're sold out.

Philly Soul has been on the newstands in Indy for weeks....would be happy to grab one for you if you want it......Jazz Issue#34 should be out in the next few days I think. It has features on Creed Taylor, Horace Tapscot, Richard Evans, Melvin Sparks and others.

m~

• 1 month later...

Ok, just picked up a copy of #34 The Jazz Issue. Looks interesting. Perhaps of greatest interest is the backstory behind the LP Ululation. Can an album be a cult classic if almost no one has ever heard about it? This LP and a follow-up recorded John Lee Krasnow's compositions. Sounds like he was an amateur musician, but one who had some connections because he worked for Columbia. Not familiar with the other musicians on the sessions, though I've at least heard of Valery Ponomarev (tr). Anyway, the only thing that rescued this from oblivion is that it served as the soundtrack to a skateboard film called A Visual Sound. THe rest of the story is also intriguing, but I won't spoil it.

Waxpoetics has decided to reissue Ululation on vinyl and digital download. I might download it to see if the album rates the fuss.

Edited by ejp626

Agree would have like to have more on Melvin Sparks but I also really enjoyed the Richard Evans piece. Looking forward to reading the ones on Creed Taylor and Harold Tapscott.

I don't pick up every issue but its a high quality magazine, the paper, the graphics etc.. They have a niche target audience and I think they treat them very well.

The bad thing for my wallet anyways is that I now want to track down records by people I have never heard of before like Dorothy Ashby, Lymand Woodard and Stonephace.

The Joe Dorn interview is fantastic, what a great read and story about him writing to Atlantic at 15 because he couldn't find any Ray Charles records to interning and working for Atlantic in his early 20s to discover and record new talent. How things have changed.

Guest Bill Barton

This mag is turning out to be very hard to find in my area. I've checked two B&N stores so far and neither one carries it. I guess it's time to visit the kickin' magazine stand at the entrance to Pike Place Market in Seattle...

This mag is turning out to be very hard to find in my area. I've checked two B&N stores so far and neither one carries it. I guess it's time to visit the kickin' magazine stand at the entrance to Pike Place Market in Seattle...

Good idea then you can grab lunch at Matt's At The Market.

If they don't have it then the Elliott Bay Book Company in Pioneer Sqaure will. That bookstore is always worth a visit.

If they don't have it then the Elliott Bay Book Company in Pioneer Sqaure will. That bookstore is always worth a visit.

Y'all are making me very nostalgic for my past visits to Seattle. I pretty much lived in that area (Pioneer Square/Elliott Bay Book Company) when I was there before...is Left Bank Books still around? I bought a beat-up copy of Mailer's ADVERTISEMENTS FOR MYSELF there that kept me good company during my time up in Alaska.

Guest Bill Barton

Y'all are making me very nostalgic for my past visits to Seattle. I pretty much lived in that area (Pioneer Square/Elliott Bay Book Company) when I was there before...is Left Bank Books still around? I bought a beat-up copy of Mailer's ADVERTISEMENTS FOR MYSELF there that kept me good company during my time up in Alaska.

Yes, Left Bank Books is alive and well, ghost. And you're spot-on regarding Matt's At The Market, WorldB3. I checked today and they didn't have the mag but said that their distributor screwed up and missed sending an issue. They may have it next week. It sounds very interesting to me, so I hope so. I'll give Elliott Bay a shot too... One of my favorite stores (their food is pretty darned tasty too and cheap by Seattle standards.)

Guest Bill Barton

Finally found a copy... So far, interestingly enough, it's the Creed Taylor article that has impressed me the most.

For Seattle-area board/bored members, the place to look for this mag is Wall of Sound on Capitol Hill. I go in there once a week to scour the used CD section. IMHO it's the best store in town for non-mainstream music.

Wall of Sound

though I still don't care for most CTI records.

that reflects my way of looking at it. CTI is not one of my favourite labels and i don't understand all the fuss about it. will have to keep on the lookout for that number of Wax Poetics.

After reading the article/interview I have a lot more respect for Creed now than I did before. You may not like the output and the lack of freedom he gave to the artists on their recordings but you can't criticize the care that went to the production and sound (I found it interesting that he limited the length of the album side so the vinyl would have a much deeper bass sound for those tasty Ron Carter runs) and cover art. He made a lot of jazz musicians a lot of money and for the most part when the money was coming in he treated them well.

I was surprised that the Richard Davis article didn't mention his playing on Astral Weeks. (Though I think I remember reading somewhere else that he wasn't very impressed with Van Morrison. Also think I remember reading that he was supposed to be on the recent Astral Weeks Live tour but couldn't make it.)

though I still don't care for most CTI records.

that reflects my way of looking at it. CTI is not one of my favourite labels and i don't understand all the fuss about it. will have to keep on the lookout for that number of Wax Poetics.

After reading the article/interview I have a lot more respect for Creed now than I did before. You may not like the output and the lack of freedom he gave to the artists on their recordings but you can't criticize the care that went to the production and sound (I found it interesting that he limited the length of the album side so the vinyl would have a much deeper bass sound for those tasty Ron Carter runs) and cover art. He made a lot of jazz musicians a lot of money and for the most part when the money was coming in he treated them well.

Strong producers can make "artist's records" or "producer's records". My view is the best records are "artist's records with producer's input". In his later days (with CTI) Creed Taylor stepped over the line and as a result made some folks some money. Some "artistic reputations" were damaged along the way. Your view of this is subjective.